Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Transformers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Netflix series is rated TV-Y7, which is pretty much all-ages.

Yes, I know. Which is why I never said that the new series fell into that category. I was talking in general.
Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just from the trailer, it looks like a kid show to me. Same tone as the 80s cartoon but more anime-y. Don't think it's possible to do "grim n' gritty" trucks turning into alien robots even if you tried very hard.

Both the original series of G.I. Joe and Transformers suffer, and again I say this as a continued fan of both franchises, from a Reagan-era, Rambo II-mentality view of warfare. 

I always found this amusing. Those cartoons unabashedly glorified war and weaponry and marketed it to kids yet at the same time were seen as innocent stuff. "Church Lady" types only lost their minds with curse words or sexual innuendo apparently.

The movie SMALL SOLDIERS by the great Joe Dante is a very good parody of this (among other things, the apparently good GI Joe types are actually the bad guys). WATCHMEN also touches the subject with a dead-on analysis by Ozymandias while designing his toy line.

Then Lucas gave them a pg movie consistent with the original films and these same clowns flipped out because he made a "kiddie movie".

There's some truth to this but he went overboard with the "kiddie stuff" in PHANTOM MENACE. Also the protagonist himself was an annoying kid, which was a trend in eighties movies but not in Star Wars.

The fans that claim EMPIRE is a "dark movie" (it's not) are being ridiculous but there was a tonal whiplash, especially with PHANTOM. On the rest, there was a quality whiplash.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They've never tried to pretend it something other than a toy, like how we rebranded comics as "graphic novels". 

That's because the real genius in Transformers is the toy itself. They are amazing toys, very creative and well designed. The need to tackle a "story" onto them (and a pretty crappy one IMHO) is the problem.

I used to have and enjoy Transformers toys as a kid but the cartoons and the comics... nonsense, even to my 8 year old self. Haven't even seen any of the Bay movies but I'm sure I'm not missing much.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The only Transformers movie I'd want to see again is BUMBLEBEE.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I am nothing close to a Transformers fan, but based on the trailers, I had high hopes for BUMBLEBEE. Alas, I didnít last thru even half the movie.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I am NOT the target audience for TRANSFORMERS.  The success of the Hasbro toy line came well after I was a kid, reaching its zenith when I was already in college.  So I can't speak to the minutia of the long running characters with any sort of authenticity other than what I enjoy now, as an adult.  I had to be dragged to the first live action film (one that I actually ended up enjoying quite a bit) but have disliked the subsequent films so much as to think the first was an aberration.  So color me surprised when I fell in love with BUMBLEBEE.  I can't quite put my finger on it except that it's so divorced from the jumbled mess of the larger war between the two factions as to be honestly enjoyable as a standalone film.  I think it's helped greatly by focusing on one character as opposed to the entire team as well as being an origin story.

I dunno.  If all I get from this entire endeavor is the original TRANSFORMERS and BUMBLEBEE?  Good enough for me.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version