Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Goodbye, Columbus! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2020 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Debunked" has taken on a whole new meaning in the Trump era -- if somebody on Twitter told facts, documentation or video and photo evidence to go fuck themselves, that passes as "debunked" as far as Republicans are concerned. Russian election interference is considered "debunked" as well.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2020 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That batshit crazy Breitbart video of the doctor claiming that masks should not be worn and that hydroxycloroquine is a cure for COVID-19 was shared by Trump and viewed some 14 million times before various social media outlets took it down.  In that time, many used it as a "gotcha" moment to show that their particular brand of idiocy and ignorance was right.  Hours later?  That same doctor was outed as a shit-for-brains conspiracy theory nutter who also runs a "church" where she preaches demon sperm as the reason for impotency and a myriad of female issues including endometriosis. She also claims space alien DNA is being used by Big Pharma in medicine and those same companies are trying to create a vaccine against religion (if only!).   Two hours before those revelations, people in various echo chambers were touting how everything we've learned about this pandemic over the last six months has been "debunked" by a simple gathering of five or six idiots on the steps of the Supreme Court.  

Yeah.  Welcome to America 2020.
Back to Top profile | search

Oliver Denker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

A doctor who believes in 'demon sperm' is the new authority on COVID-19.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 1:43am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

https://highlandcountypress.com/Content/Opinions/Opinion/Art icle/Breaking-COVID-19-news/4/22/58579
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Whew! You've calmed my fears about hydroxycloroquine, Andy. DEBUNKED! I mean, why isn't everyone referencing this "breaking news" from the Highland County Press!  The cure is right there for the taking but for the politically motivated MSM.  This MUST be a conspiracy theory because literally EVERYONE is in on it!  

Sign me up!  

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Mark: I know very well what I was talking about. It was the quote of yours that I put in my post.
 QUOTE:
The threat of ending slavery helped push America into that war, so it could win
and end this "threat".
Claiming that I said the Revolutionary War was fought to end slavery is a straw man. 
It wasn't just one historian, it was the consensus of all them right, left, center. That's why the creator had to backtrack. Read the link. Also it wasn't my fact-checker, it was the 1619 Project's. Again, read the link. That's why I said it was "their own fact-checker".
 QUOTE:
Leslie Harris is a Northwestern University historian who helped fact-check the 1619 Project
Your quote by Rutledge doesn't change anything since that tactic was used after the war started. There's no evidence that it was thought of as a "threat" before the Declaration. Britain only promised freedom for slaves who fought for them, not in general. It didn't ban slavery in its remaining territories until half a century later.

The Jefferson link was to show that he actively worked to limit slavery.

David Miller: The FBI interviewed the sub-source for the Steele dossier, who said he didn't believe it and the information was garbage. That pretty much counts as deunked. The only election interfernce shown is Russia buying some Facebook ads. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Jim Burdo wrote:
The only election interfernce shown is Russia buying some Facebook ads.

I don't want to legislate the entire Impeachment of Trump here in this thread, but wow.  Seriously not their only interference.  Such a simplistic reading of the actual events as to be troubling to the extreme.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

https://highlandcountypress.com/Content/Opinions/Opinion/Art icle/Breaking-COVID-19-news/4/22/58579

------

QUOTE:
By Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet Former Director Association of American Physicians and Surgeons

Note that the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons is a "non-partisan" advocacy group of conservative doctors who among other things in their journal:

- supported the idea that vaccines are linked to autism
- questioned whether HIV causes AIDS
- tried to link abortion with breast cancer
- argued that sexual orientation is a choice and that the gay male lifestyle shortens a man's lifespan by 20 years

and most awesomely

- questioned whether Barack Obama was using neuro-linguistic programming to hypnotize people: https://aapsonline.org/oratory-or-hypnotic-induction/

And they sure do hate abortions, Medicare, and Universal Health Care.

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Getting back to the original subject of this thread, here's an opposing viewpoint: LINK

The KKK was happy to attack Columbus. Includes a defense of Columbus by Stanford University professor emerita Carol Delaney.

Much of the anti-Columbus narrative comes from far left historian Howard Zinn.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Not “much”. Some.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Note that the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons is a "non-partisan" advocacy group of conservative doctors who among other things in their journal:

Weren't there 6 studies done across 4 different countries?  Isn't a potential cure worth considering?  Why are their findings the exact opposite of what the FDA is now saying?  Why did the FDA approve it and then revoke it?  I mean, did they not do any testing or confirmation before approving?

Do you feel there is no merit in the studies because of the one person involved?  Do all the doctors in the group all believe all the claims put in the journal over the years?  Are they always wrong or are there examples of things they got right too?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2020 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It is not a potential cure, but a potential treatment. Part of the problem is the positive affects are overstated, like calling it a cure. Another part of the problem is the the worst charlatan in US history (documented lies) is pushing it. Pardon the pun, but it is a difficult pill to swallow when the person touting its benefits also said if we just wait long enough the virus will magically disappear. Many people refusing to wear a mask because of conspiracy concerns or calling the virus a hoax are also saying Plaquenil is the answer. It's tough to accept medical advice from a portion of the population that seems so against standard medical practice. I think all you are seeing, Andy, is apprehension from mixed signals. I would like to see more studies before jumping on the "it's a potential cure" bandwagon.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version