Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Dancing With The "Stars" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Don't know if anyone else watches or cares about this show, but I believe the people running it just signed the show's death warrant.

After hosting the show since its inception, Tom Bergeron has been fired. Erin Andrews, who has co-hosted the past ten seasons, was also fired. No explanation has been given other than the standard `change in creative direction' bs.

Tom is being replaced by....Tyra Banks, who is also going to be given an executive producer credit. Lets see....Tom is a much beloved host, while Tyra is polarizing and was an awful fit on AMERICA'S GOT TALENT. Who in their right mind actually thought replacing Tom with Tyra was actually a good idea?

I've been fed up with the show for a while. But last season and now this news = the final straw. Sharna, my favorite professional dancer, wasn't alllowed to come back and defend her title last season. They replaced her and Artem with a new married couple who didn't seem all that impressive. Sean Spicer was completely horrible as a dancer and lasted a lot longer than he should have, while more talented performers went home. And a Bachelorette contestant actually winning was the kicker. 

The reason I put quotation marks around Stars in the title of this thread is because the show often has has-beens on, and Bachelor and Bachelorette contestants aren't exactly stars. I realize they're on to promote that show, but Hannah Brown winning was bullshit.

Nick Cannon recently got in troiuble for some racist comments (against caucasians and Jews) on a podcast that were more shoving his entire lower leg down his throat than just putting his foot in his mouth, and was fired by CBSViacom for what he said. FOX has already announced they have no intention of firing him, but I kind of wish they'd replace him with Tom. He did get a heck of a reaction when he was unmasked as the Taco. Cannon apologized, but I still think he's a racist pos.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 18 July 2020 at 2:17pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2020 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Brian F. - I have enjoyed several seasons (not all) of DwtS. But lately, I've been skipping it unless I specifically think about it when it's on. However, I think that Tom Bergeron was a FANTASTIC host, and Erin was a great partner. 

Not only were they competent and a half, and fun (nice to see Erin when she wasn't on the sideline of a football game - which she's great at too) but when there was a timing problem, Tom B. took a TWO HOUR LIVE SHOW in hand and got things sorted out smoothly. Oh, undoubtedly the stage manager was working it too - but Tom, as the face of the show, got things in hand too.

I also recall a few seasons back when there were some protesters that popped up on set during a live show, and Tom did not miss a beat. He kept things calm and cool while they were removed*. I have a ton of respect for live performances like that.

Losing that talent is indeed a death knell for DwtS, I feel. And that's not even discussing if the judges have any opinion about this (which I'm sure that they do.)

Tyra Banks... man, I just don't know.

*I don't recall why they were there and I don't care; it was entirely the wrong venue, and certainly was a cause of panic and disruption.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2020 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Bergeron was a pro. His and Erin's departure means a very big change, which is when a lot of viewers drop out.

Also, the quality of "stars" has dwindled. Not to bash the people willing to go out and entertain as best they can, but there isn't any star power attracting me to watch the show.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2020 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Shows like this are never going to get the Big Guns. Just an eclectic bunch of has-beens, (possible) up and comers and some flavors of the month. My wife and I've watched the show from the beginning (although we missed a fair bit of the second and some of the third season), seen the live shows the last few years (even sprung for the meet and greet), etc. and we watch as much if not more for the pros these days.

We're both sorry to see Tom go (Erin Andrews eventually grew on us, but not to the point of being too upset about her), even more so because he didn't get to have a "final episode" to say goodbye. Neither of us are enthused about Tyra Banks. My wife's done the "I don't know if I still want to watch the show" bit, but I think even if Tyra turns out to be unfit for the job, there should be enough other elements of the show I like to keep going.

I got past not having Clive Anderson on Whose Line Is It Anyway? and maybe I grumble every time the replacement hosts says "and the points don't matter", but the rest is still pleasant. So it will be here.

Chris Marquardt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2020 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In addition to proving what a class act he is, Tom's Twitter feed is also a great
source of his razor-sharp wit. His response when his replacement was
announced?

"I guess I won't be getting back my monogrammed towels."

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2020 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

He also said something like "Now what am i going to do with all these glitter masks?" after his departure was announced, but before Tyra was announced as his (lmao) replacement.

And I'm less enthused about watching MASKED SINGER with Nick Cannon still hosting. I'd much rather see Tom up there on stage, perhaps with his hot sauce bottle microphone for his first show as host. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2020 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"I guess I won't be getting back my monogrammed towels."
--------------------------------
That is witty!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2020 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Iíve never seen a single episode of DWTS. Iíve never seen a single
episode of AGT. Seems like Tyra has had a daytime talk show or
something Iíve never watched. With all that said, I sure do like to look at
Tyra.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2020 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Honestly, DwtS and supposedly AGT are entertaining, but not "must see TV!" programs.

My next big question - can Tyra Banks run a two hour live show? And can she get any names (besides sports figures) to appear?

She isn't particularly hard to look at, so that's one factor. But looks are barely enough just to start. I guess we'll find out!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2020 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Tyra was good as a talk show host, and hosting AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL. BUT....she was not a good fit at all with AGT. And DWTS is too similar to AGT for me to have any confidence in her.

But if you look online, opinion is not in Tyra's favor. Its a combination of Tom being beloved, and being perfect for the show, and distaste for Tyra. And its not exactly a case of distaste than anyone replacing Tom would get so much as its `ugh, Tyra!' distaste. She is definitely a polarizing person.

You can bet there will be some blowback, as in celebrities declining to do the show without Tom hosting. Tyra may pull in a few celebrities, but not enough to make up for the loss of Tom.

I'm not happy Erin is gone, either. You can bet there are some NFL players who will not do the show now.

(My hope is that one of the other networks snaps up Tom for a new show....and puts it on against DWTS.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 18 July 2020 at 2:18pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2020 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm watching the second episode of the season right now. And to answer Eric's question: 

can Tyra Banks run a two hour live show? 

The answer is....not really. She comes out as a model in a fancy dress or outfit doing a runway walk, then changes into something else. Because of course we need to be reminded she's a model. On top of that, she not only talks about herself too much but also gabs away so that it cuts into the judges' talk time. She is not entertaining as much as she is irritating. And she is just not funny when she tries to be.

Whoever decided hiring her was a good idea needs their head examined.

If Sharna wasn't back (as a blonde!), and a couple of the celebrities on this season weren't competing, I would not have watched past the first ten minutes of the first episode.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2020 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I don't watch this show, but I've heard ads on the radio that tonight is the Disney themed episode and I gotta say, if that crazy woman from TIGER KING doesn't dance to "Everybody Wants To Be A Cat" from THE ARISTOCATS, then I declare shenanigans.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version