Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk
Topic: The Bigger Picture: Sports in the time of Covid Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 July 2020 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So we've had numerous MLB and NBA players say that they're not returning to play.  We've had nearly 40 Clemson football players test positive in the month of June.  MLS postponed their opening this week because of outbreaks. The Ivy League just canceled their entire fall season.  

As much as I'm a HUGE CFB fan, I can't see a way out of this.  We'll be lucky to get the NFL this fall, but CFB? With their territories, fiefdoms and lack of any overall control, it's going to be a madhouse.  We've already seen it.

I'm resigning myself to not seeing football, in any shape, this season.  If they come back, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.  Otherwise?  Hard to get pumped for a season that I think will never happen. 
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2020 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've always felt football is the most problematic COVID-19 sport. Too much close physical contact, too many players to reasonably contain in a theoretical bubble like the NBA, too much large group travel (particularly in college.) If schools like Harvard and Princeton are not even going to have students attending classes in person in '20-'21, how can you expect students to play football which involves far closer and more extended contact / risk? The NCAA has profited in the billions with a B over the years; have they squirreled away enough money to cover the scholarships and the other related costs of not going forward this year? I have a strong feeling they haven't and if it goes forward, that will be the only reason. Based on the currently far worsening numbers, they certainly should not.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2020 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

And the Big Ten said they're going to play a conference only schedule as far as football in concerned.

I think college football should just be cancelled completely this year, with Seniors (and ONLY Seniors) being granted an extra year of eligibility.

My question is this: If they do have CFB this year and the Big Ten go through with their plans, do they have to compensate the non-conference schools they were scheduled to play, and forfeit those games? Schedules are made years ahead of time, so its not like they're just making up their own out of thin air.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm hoping for some high school football here in northern Ohio. Honestly, it's very personal to me because its my daughters' senior year of band. After all these years of working so hard, it will be so sad to miss out on the finale. But I understand people being afraid to play contact sports. I don't think they'll make a final decision for a couple weeks still. Hoping people do the right thing, the numbers go down, and we get some Friday night fun!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 12:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Both the Eagles and the Phillies have announced that no fans will be allowed at home games when their respective seasons resume.  The National Junior College Athletic Association (made up of a not insignificant 512 schools) announced that they're moving most sports to the spring (including football) with a few sports resuming after January 1.

Since my original post, the PAC 12 followed the Big Ten and will only play in-conference games. I expect we'll hear the same from the rest of the D1 conferences in the coming weeks.  To me?  This is death by a million cuts.  Instead of shifting the season to the spring or canceling it entirely, they're constricting the schedule in the hope of maintaining their lucrative fall television contracts.  But absent fans (one AD famously said a month or so ago that stadiums would be full...a different time to be sure) and with the virus raging in states across the country, does anyone really think CFB will return in the fall? Take the SEC for example.  Florida's procedures will be different from Tennessee's procedures will be different from LSU's procedures will be different from Texas A&M's procedures will be different from Missouri's procedures.  It's a mishmash of colleges that are making their own decisions, absent any other governing body, and those decisions will have a direct impact on close contact play in football. 

I just can't see it.  

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've also been thinking football won't happen this year, which is obviously fine in the grand scheme of things. I do hope that the networks figure out some kind of classic games schedule, just so we have something to watch. 

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just saw on CNN that 72 NFL players tested positive.

If MLB actually makes it through their shortened season without stoppage,
every sport needs to take notes.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2020 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Of the 4 major professional sports leagues, baseball is one of those team sports that could possibly pull it off. 

With the most of the player AND officiating positions many feet (yards) apart (except 1st & 3rd base, and home plate), it could be relatively safe. 

Basketball, Football, and Hockey has too much physical contact for it to consider themselves safe from the virus. 

EDIT: I did attempt to watch exhibition baseball yesterday. The pumped-in fan noise, cardboard cutouts, empty seats.....

MY DAWG!!! It was worse than I expected. But it did its job that watching baseball on TV does on me on a Sunday afternoon...Put Me To Sleep!!!!  

Best afternoon nap I had in months since being home from the virus. 

Edited by James Johnson on 20 July 2020 at 10:59am

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Updated CFB status, as far as I know:

Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC going to conference only schedules. SEC teams will only be playing 10 games rather than 12. The Ivy League will not be playing at all.

Notre Dame will be for all intents and purposes an ACC team for the season, meaning they will be eligible for the conference championship. They're sharing their tv revenue from CBS with the teams as part of the deal.

UConn is the only team so far to announce that they not be playing.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 05 August 2020 at 9:35pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version