Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Keaton Potentially Dons The Cowl... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Apart from me enjoying Jack Nicholson be Jack Nicholson, there really is nothing in the 1989 Batman for me."

--

Speaking of which, just came across this a day or so ago: LINK

I don't want to think about how Burton really wanted Nicholson's Joker to look.

BTW, JB - I've long wondered about your Joker looking a bit different than your usual portrayal in BATMAN 3-D. Was there any influence from the movie?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Nope!!

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Superhero movies at the theatre was a rare thing back in 1989, and 16 year old me enjoyed seeing it a lot. For all its flaws, there are things about it I still rate very highly:

- Danny Elfman's score
- The Batmobile 
- Jack Nicholson as The Joker

I wanted someone else than Keaton for the role, and later we got both Val Kilmer and George Clooney, who looked the part but were terrible. It wasn't until Christian Bale came along that we got the REAL Batman, in my opinion. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That the animated series chose not to use it is something I
supported wholeheartedly.

The silver lining of the Batman hype of that era is the animated series which is, for my money, the best all around Batman "product" across all media. They got EVERYTHING right (in the first couple of seasons at least), even incorporating the movie stuff that worked (score, design, "dark" tone).

When the movie premiered I was just the right age to go crazy about it (7 years old) and I bought it wholesale but at the same time I loved the '66 show that was still on reruns in my country and a couple years later the animated series was added to the mix. I loved them all and had no trouble with the differences in tone and style, it was all Batman to me. As kids we are much simpler (in a good way) than we remember.

But the '66 show and BTAS will be with me all my life and i revisit them frequently and with great fondness but that is not true for the movies.

BATMAN RETURNS I've learned to appreciate, but as a Burton movie not a Batman movie.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I loved the look of Tim Burton's BATMAN. Much more fun to look at than the Christopher Nolan version of Gotham. And Jack Nicholson's Joker was great fun and recognizably the Joker, even though he was really too short and portly.

That's it, though. Michael Keaton, great actor that he is, wasn't playing Bruce Wayne or Batman. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That's it, though. Michael Keaton, great actor that he is, wasn't playing Bruce Wayne or Batman. 

Hard to imagine what was Burton's reasoning behind that choice. Although Keaton is a very good actor (even underrated I'd say), and he brought some intensity to the role it was too much of a stretch.

Burton definitely had a lot of power those days as the hip director du jour to get away with it. Guess we were lucky he hadn't met Johnny Depp yet.

Bale, on the other hand, was born to play Bruce Wayne IMHO. He portrayed the character exactly as I've always thought he should be played. He could do the shallow playboy thing (like in that great scene where he plays drunk at Wayne Manor in BEGINS) but there was also *something* about him that was interesting, mysterious.

Bruce Wayne shouldn't be a Clark Kent (Reeve version), it's a different thing. The animated series also got that right in the Batman/Superman crossover episodes, Bruce and Clark's approach to secret identities is completely different (and to no surprise, Lois is kinda crushing on Bruce when she meets him, making Clark jealous).

Kilmer was too bored (not in a good way) and Clooney too nice. It's very hard to get it just right. That's why I'm not sold on Pattinson yet.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 3:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hard to imagine what was Burton's reasoning behind that choice. Although Keaton is a very good actor (even underrated I'd say), and he brought some intensity to the role it was too much of a stretch.

•••

Burton was quoted at the time as saying he “didn’t want to make a movie about a guy with a big chin and a big chest.”

So, don’t do BATMAN, right?

Keaton was badly cast, but so was Burton.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 3:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I loved the look of Tim Burton's BATMAN. Much more fun to look at than the Christopher Nolan version of Gotham.

•••

Even tho all the action took place on the same two blocks?

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
Burton definitely had a lot of power those days as the hip director du jour to get away with it.

Thankfully that power eventually waned enough for the Nic Cage Superman to die on the vine!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

When Burton was announced as director I was delighted. This was the guy who’d given us PEEWEE’S BIG ADVENTURE and BEETLEJUICE. He understood fantasy environments.

Unfortunately, it soon turned out he understood only his own fantasy environments. The more I heard about his plans for Batman, the less I wanted to see it. Visiting the sets at Pinewood in 1988 was the final nail in the coffin. (Exact moment: when our guide pointed out the machine guns on the Batmobile.)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

...Nic Cage Superman to die on the vine!...

Scarily enough, it came a lot closer to happening
than not!

Trivia: Tim Burton and Nic Cage both had "play or
pay" contracts, so they still got paid for a film
that never got made.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I saw it and left the theater thinking it should have been named JOKER.

And at that, it's still a better Joker movie than the thing Todd Phillips slapped together last year.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version