Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 24 Next >>
Topic: Bye Bye Jemima Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

People should read up about the Cultural Revolution in China. The similarities are frightening. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"History rhymes", because it's a big improvisation by human beings.

Speaking of a rhyme, I was amazed talking to a thirty something guy in Arkansas about the Civil War (which was very uncivil really) and how he did not know that at one time it was the Democratic party politicians who were segregationist, anti-civil rights, pro states' rights etc. He argued at length with me how the conflict of the Confederacy vs. the Union had nothing whatsoever to do with the slavery issue and no connection to John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry. You could see the stars and bars on everything from his mini people's cultural revolution as merely a symbol of Southern pride even while he did know of church bombings, water cannons, freedom riders and lunch counter sit-ins. All those statues of Confederate 'heroes'? Just more a harmless Southern identity exercise, nobody should feel intimidated. I was astonished, but so was he and he kept wanting to know more... I felt almost like someone smuggling Tienanmen Square info into Red China!

I also had pen pals in Japan who talked (well, wrote) of the Pacific War. They didn't much know the terms World War II. They were bent on gaining information about emigrating to Canada from me to various degrees and would have the funniest criticisms of Japanese society, yet if you touched a nerve like mentioning the Emperor or say Burakumin, Korean or Ainu sub-classes discriminated against, they could be extreme in defense. There were so many things I wasn't meant to know of as an outsider I never dared get to say the sacking of Nanking or whatever other atrocities. The Emperor had been mistaken allowing a state Shinto religion to combine with the military and realized this after the two Atomic bombs so would now keep them separate from now on (and here I see Trump more recently holding up that Bible at a few key moments in the U.S. wondering how that would play over in Nihon). Yukio Mishima's 1970 suicide was a sort of token sacrifice to their nation's manhood (and major tv event like O.J. in the white Bronco was in America) for their generation somehow, a last hold out for a pure rising sun racial rule Empire across Asia.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The similarities to the Chinese cultural revolution is exactly why I throw up a little whenever I read the news. People are coerced into apologizing for racism and privilege today just like the Chinese Communists made my family atone for being of the merchant class. If I didn't make it out of China as a kid, I'd probably had been denied university or maybe even trade school because of my family's sins against the proletariat. 

It didn't matter if my family were as honest and generous as they could be with peasants. It was their identity that they were guilty of. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 01 July 2020 at 5:14am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hmmm. So in your class struggle and seizing the means of production framework, there is now a politically correct virtue signalling revolutionary class, and a politically very incorrect counter-revolutionary class, with the internet social media and cable tv as the means of propagation/production?

I still remember an anecdote from late '50s China of a woman being found in possession of a Western imperialist lipstick and thus needing re-education internment (after a family member did the correct thing and reported her). Today money talks but they still put Mao on it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This isn’t France, this isn’t China, this is a correction.

Will it go too far? Maybe, maybe not. But one thing is certain, it is
currently too far in the wrong direction & thus some form of correction is
needed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2020 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Caught a few minutes of BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985) on cable last night. A small scene in which Marty McFly states, in 1958, that a Black worker in the soda shop is one day going to be mayor of the town.

That's a microcosm of what happens in this country, slowly and painfully. Sadly, altho we have come so far, there is still a tendency to set minorities as separate entities, as with "Black Actor wins Oscar". Denzel Washington, himself the recipient of that award, stated at the time that true progress would come when the headline simply said "Actor wins Oscar".

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2020 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's a slow process - in the NFL they're finally getting to the point where we don't think "black quarterback" although "running quarterback" and "pocket passer" are still recognized as code words for "natural athlete/black" vs "thinking quarterback/white".

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron M Bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2020 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Have you seen the logo of the Cleveland Indians? Is that what you really think is going on there, worship/admiration? And are these indigenous peoples therefore just misguided in not seeing how these mascots are "honoring" them? 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2020 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Didn't the Indians drop the logo a couple of years ago? Unfortunately, there's still stuff with that logo out there, though. One of my stepson's friends came over a few days ago wearing a hat with it on it. And that friend is black.

I want the Atlanta Braves to drop that chant and tomahawk chop motion fans do at home games. They're racist, and the chant is beyond annoying. I don't watch Braves games, but if I did, I'd have the sound off just because of it.

Also, check the NFL Free Agency thread in the sports section for some recent news on the current Redskins name situation.  

Edited by Brian Floyd on 06 July 2020 at 3:06pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2020 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ditto on the Braves chant, Brian. DITTO!

The Indians used Chief Wahoo as an alternate logo until around 2013, I believe it's completely gone now (I hope).

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2020 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Indians used Chief Wahoo as their primary logo until 2013, and as a secondary logo until 2018.

Chief Wahoo was introduced in 1946 and had gone through several minor changes over the year, but had been basically the same since 1949.

The claims that the team was named the Indians to honor former Cleveland Spiders player Louis Sockalexis in 1915 is dubious at best, as the articles mentioning the renaming of the team didn't mention Sockalexis.  (Sockalexis had played for 1887-1899 American Association/National League Cleveland team, the Cleveland Spiders, while the American League Cleveland franchise began play in the American League in 1901)

The Spiders had indeed been occasionally referred to as the Indians when Sockalexis played there (teams were frequently called more than one nickname in the press), but still, it seems pretty unlikely that the team would have adopted the name to honor a Native American player  who had played for an undistinguished (and brief) period of time (1897-99).
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2020 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

On a tangent, this is reminding me of when my high school had a competition for a new design for their team(s) emblem. The school was Henry Wise Wood, in Calgary, and the teams were the Wise Wood Warriors. The symbol was a profile of a vaguely Greek helmet.

At 17, I designed something similar, but with a face, a cartoon with a big toothy grin and a scowl. I was told everyone LOVED my design, but they felt it was too "nasty". They ended up staying with a variant on the helmet.

<< Prev Page of 24 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version