Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 55 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.12--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2020 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

@Peter: royal ermine --- a much more accurate choice of words. Thanks!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 June 2020 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

She's obviously an interstellar empress, with all the attendant responsibilities. But I'm not so sure she's gone through any ordeal.

•••

You’re not thinking like a royal counselor who’s known her since she was a hatchling.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 June 2020 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

5) I am assuming Lilandra is attempting to harness the Phoenix in the same way the Skrulls were established to have used a Cosmic Cube to protect their own empire. It began with good intentions, but ended in disaster for them. There is some amount of power that just can't be safely handled by mortal man (or alien).

•••

Hard to imagine the Skrulls having “good intentions”!

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2020 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Well, at least in regards to protecting their own people and empire.

And on a side note, I have wondered how bad the Skrulls were before the Kree.  The story of their first contact with the Kree and Cotati and the origins of the Kree-Skrull Wars seemed to indicate a more benevolent attitude even if still expansionist.  Although the long years of their war with the Kree definitely have left the Skrulls as bitter, militaristic, and cruel.

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wondering about Phoenix's motivations for a pinpoint attack on the mansion, when clearly she (it?) has the power to simply obliterate the entire planet and be done with things...

Can't help thinking there must be a specific reason for it - mayhap something to do with the 'Jean Copy' whose physiology has been behaving so strangely in recent issues / needing to become 'whole' again?

P.S. Are we likely to see Kurt rejoin the team again anytime soon, other than in flashback? There are only so many days one can go, without a *BAMF!* ;-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 4:02am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm four issues ahead of you, but things are starting to happen to/for Herr Wagner.

Stay turned. (And hope you don't regret getting what you asked for!!)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 4:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Skrulls were introduced in FF2 as wormy little creeps who seemed unlikely to have anything like a good side. Didn't take long, tho, for Stan and Jack to show us more noble and handsome Skrulls--including females who would not have seemed too much out of place on a cover of VOGUE.*

The "softening" of the Skrulls, in fact, seems to have contributed to the creation of the hard assed Kree. Needed those nasty aliens! (Too bad the Badoon never seemed to really catch on.)

* Roger Stern at one time suggested the change in the appearance of the Skrulls came from their visit to Earth. They saw how much more robust humans were, and started imitating us.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

There's so much to like in Lilandra's tour of the station, but I'm so taken by those folks in the background. They're working hard, but how can they not be distracted or starstruck by a visiting empress? Little details like this are worth their weight in Anderite.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Can you imagine actually reading this in 1981? Phoenix made a copy of Jean - what does that mean? I'd be totally confused (and possibly iffed that the "Jean" I'd been reading about for the past 4-5 years wasn't the real one). Remember how people reacted to the Spider-clone fiasco of the nineties! Of course, this wouldn't have happened back then. JB can do this now because of all the retroactive continuity that's been established, and which we already know.

>>

For some strange reason I wasn't annoyed at Jean's return at all back then. I think it was a combination of JB's presentation of it, and the fact that I was just so damn happy to see a character I loved back for more stories. And that's really the problem I have with killing off long established characters: you don't get any more stories with them. Sorta like I feel when a singer (or any artist) passes: we'll never get to see more work from them...

Edited by Michael Genitempo on 04 June 2020 at 7:16am

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That high-perspective shot of the extraction pit really made me think "Kirby". Everything's gorgeous --- loving the reflections on the hard metallic floors contrasted with the natural rock on the wall. Too cool.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Love that panel of the extraction pit, the tiny figures on the promontory showing us its vast scale, the steep perspective into a seething molten mass. It's like one of those brief shots we got in Star Wars when Ben Kenobi was stealing around the Death Star that help to sell the milieu and stir the imagination.

Edited by Peter Martin on 04 June 2020 at 7:52am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Dean M. - "...clearly she (it?) has the power to simply obliterate the entire planet and be done with things..."

Remember, Mama Phoenix said to never waste food. :)

Also, Jean didn't reach Phoenix' full potential (and might not have been able to) for a while. Magneto was even able to beat her, because she couldn't access all of her power. I doubt that Magneto would have stood a chance against Dark Phoenix, mind you...

Mr. Byrne: I don't know Lilandra at all well, except for that one afternoon we met for tea. She wasn't very hungy; she just seemed to peck at her food.

And now Lilandra wants Phoenix' secrets while it's weak? It's not hard to remember, thanks to Mr. Byrne, that she IS an interstellar empress, and her dictates and responsibilities are quite different than when she was stuck on Earth, bringing Professor X his breakfast...

<< Prev Page of 55 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version