Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: George Floyd Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
Michael listed John Lewis' accomplishments, none of which involved him commenting on a desired outcome in an ongoing case. He then stated a hypothetical situation that again is irrelevant to the conversation because it didn't happen (as far as I know).

Rep. Lewis compared Martin’s death to a lynching and made it clear that he thought Floyd was murdered. 

QUOTE:
If it had happened, then yes, it would have been irrisponsible for him to do so, regardless of his past accomplishments. I would hope that John Lewis would also have known what is appropriate and would have done what Biden did, which is to not comment until after the trial had concluded.  I have been discussing the role of government and the court system. That's it.

Once again, everyone here understands the point you are trying to make. What people are rejecting is your premise that holding the office of Representative means that a congressperson is operating in the role
of “government” in an entirely separate purview. 

If the COVID response and 2020 election hasn’t made it clear for you, the US style of Federalism can be dysfunctional at times. 
Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And once again, Rep. Maxine Waters has great power and influence in her position in government. With this power, there are certain obligations to keep the appearance of complete impartiality. Is this a minor issue compared to the dysfunctional court system the United States is currently burdened with? Of course it is. It is still important. I keep on saying this is a philosophical point I am commenting on. 

Let's say, hypothetically, that you are a charged with a crime that you believe you are innocent of. During your trial, a member of the government states publicly that you are guilty and should be found so accordingly. Is this fair? Do you think you will get a fair trial? No matter what your personal opinion is of Derek Chauvin, he is allowed a fair trail. No less and it becomes a show trial. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Supreme Court has long held that a defendant is entitled to a fair trial, but not a perfect one. 

Rep. Waters speaking off the cuff in response to a question might have chosen a clearer way to explain "confrontational," which she indeed did but shortly thereafter. 

That said, Judge Cahill was grandstanding. I've worked for and with judges for three decades, and it is very far from typical for a judge on the bench at trial to scold a member of Congress for public comments even to the point of suggesting what was said might justify the reversal of a criminal conviction. Considering that he possessed both the responsibility and power to shield the jury, his sanctimony perhaps suggests his own chagrin.

Of course, the judge's minor hypocrisy is nothing compared to the Republicans who first sought censure (McCarthy) and then expulsion (Taylor Greene). In the context of these cut-throat political games, what choice would the Democrats have but to fully stand by Rep. Waters? Politics is neither fair nor (ha!) perfect.

Edited by Michael Penn on 23 April 2021 at 6:09am

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

In no way am I equating this to the level of the Republicans, who seem to have gone completely over the bend in their descent into insanity. I don't know the two stories you mention. Have they actually tried to have the trial thrown out or attempted to go after the judge? If so, that is exactly what I am talking about, how government should in no way get involved in a trial. 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Republicans did not challenge the trial or the judge, Neil -- they went after Rep. Waters for her comments.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that. 

I looked up Taylor Greene. She sounds like quite the lunatic. Did you mean Kevin McCarthy? That's the only McCarthy I could find. 

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Michael,

They did INDEED.  But then isn't it always easier and more politically effective with the racist elements of your base to attack the "angry Black woman"?

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 23 April 2021 at 9:40am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Waters was telling the crowd to "get more confrontational" and to "stay in the streets". I do not believe that she was trying to influence the trial or encourage riots. Waters is just another establishment politician pretending to be a grassroots activist. Kind of like Trump. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 23 April 2021 at 4:54pm

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Looks like more charges for Chauvin.  This guy is truly the worst of the worst.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 April 2021 at 2:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Joe Zhang wrote:
Waters is just another establishment politician pretending to be a grassroots activist. Kind of like Trump.

You really do love the drive-by, don't you, Joe/Rod?  Drop a bomb and see what happens.  Must be so proud.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2021 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Matt,

We can always look at it this way - those on here who believe Waters was inciting people riot, MUST certainly believe Trump incited his supporters to insurrection against the government of the United States on Jan. 6th.

Marc

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2021 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Matt, it's just that everyone, not just you, is so hostile. So ready get into bum fights. I share my opinion as clearly as I can, just once. What comes out of that is not my concern. 

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version