Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: STARGIRL Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'd love it if flashbacks to the Nineties were portrayed as if they happened a hundred years ago. It'd be a great way to show how youth perceive even the relatively recent past before their birth as ancient and specifically weird.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If this version of Green Arrow suddenly appears in a future episode alive and well, and in costume, viewers are gonna go apesh*t.
Back to Top profile | search

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There are layers upon layers written in this show. Nothing is in it by accident or
as a cute 4th wall wink. The level of detail included is ridiculous.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2020 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Y'know, we don't know how old Pat is. He hasn't visibly aged in eight years, since the JSA were killed. Could be he's a lot older than he looks.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2020 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In All-Star Squadron annual #3, Roy Thomas felt a great need to explain why the JSA'ers and their mates still were so functionally young; mostly because World War II and their era kept sliding into the past, while they stayed "current." 

Ian Karkull battles the JSA; he became magic; and he exploded on the JSA'ers*, extending their lives considerably.

This fails in that not all the JSA and none of the A.S.S.** or Seven Soldiers were there, so... okay, possibly such an event occurred on Stargirl's Earth-2.

And to be fair, we don't KNOW the timing or aging of ANY of the prior generation(s) of heroes. This may remain to be seen, or we might just ignore it and enjoy the show.

Yeah, but why did Dr. Fate and the Spectre and Superman and Wonder Woman need to age in the first place... okay, okay, shutting up now. :)

*Eww.
**Tough gig with those initials, huh?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2020 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I hope Stargirl doesn't go the Roy Thomas route. The way the show casually updated the JSA to the 21st Century was effortless and long overdue.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Tonight's episode, "Brainwave Jr." by James Robinson, is pretty good. Caught it last night on DCUniverse.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm a few episodes behind. I'm enjoying the show and plan
to catch up but I have a few nits to pick.

1. Brec Bassinger is adorable but not terribly convinciing
in her role. For my money, she's getting by on charisma.

2. I'd have liked to have seen more development of
Courtney's and Pat's relationship and Courtney's "learning
the ropes" as a hero before diving into introducing a new,
young JSA.

3. Not wild about super-perky Beth as the new Dr. Mid-Nite.
To be fair, as an INFINITY INC. reader, I never really
warmed to any the successors for Mid-Nite, Hourman and
especially Wildcat.

Nothing mentioned above is deal-breaking. What I'm liking
far outweighs what I'm not digging. Looking forward to
catching up.

Edited by Eric Smearman on 21 July 2020 at 6:43pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2020 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

For some reason STARGIRL didn't record last night. So I'll have to watch it on On Demand later.

I agree about Beth as Dr. Mid-Nite II. Are they even going to give her the blackout bombs? 

The new JSA members all fit various school stereotypes, if you think about it:

Stargirl = Spunky cheerleader 

Hourman = Jock

Beth = Geek/Nerd who is smarter than the others combined, but socially awkward

Wildcat = Bad Girl who is more misunderstood than actually bad

What I hated was that Henry actually did send Yolanda's video to everyone at school. I hated that because I speculated that Cindy did it, and hoped that Henry would go off on her when he found out.

Another thing I hated: Icecicle killing off the Wizard. Yet the Gambler is still around. The Wizard is one of the JSA's biggest foes and a Secret Society of Super-Villains member. Gambler is a villain who was so lame that DC had him commit suicide in the comics, and was replaced by his granddaughter. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2020 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brec Bassinger is adorable but not terribly convinciing 
in her role. For my money, she's getting by on charisma.

------

I think that's by design. Courtney operates with a lot of unearned confidence, and she's not yet a competent superhero. She's relied on a lot of luck and last minute saves by someone else. But where she shines is her idealism and her ability to motivate the other characters to be better. That's what Brec brings to Courtney.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2020 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"What I hated was that Henry actually did send Yolanda's video to everyone at school. I hated that because I speculated that Cindy did it, and hoped that Henry would go off on her when he found out."
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------

No actually you were more right the first time around Brian. It was Cindy that sent it to herself when she momentarily had ahold of Henry's phone. I read an interview with Meg Delacy, (the actress who plays Cindy,) and she confirmed that that was exactly how it happened.

Having said that, I can understand why Henry was apologetically blaming himself in this week's episode in his remarks to Yolanda. He was showing off the pic to his jock squad when Cindy snatched the phone. That in itself could be argued to be just as much of a betrayal of his girlfriend's trust all right. And moreover if the phone wasn't open at that exact pic, Cindy wouldn't have been able to send it to herself, as she only has the phone for a few seconds.

I agree that it would have been nice to see him take Cindy for task for that. It kinda bugs me that Yolanda still doesn't know the part Cindy played there. But that's often the way life goes.

Still Henry had a lot, maybe even all of it, to feel guilty for. As it was his actions that set it all up. Reminds me of the arguments people used to get into back in the day over whether Angel should really be feeling guilty for what his soulless self Angelus did.
However in the Buffy flashbacks it did show that in looking for a good time with her, he did open himself to Darla to make him a vampire, even if he had no idea that that would be what happened, and the evil that would result.

So it's an interesting debate, in terms of how much culpabilty for resultant evil actions, a person should suffer for their own recklessness or disregard for consequences. Even if they couldn't have forseen it.
I mean there have been trials where the defence argument would be that intent is all important.

But with Henry I would argue that some of the intent was there. He was sharing it with his buddies. Ok maybe he didn't intend for the whole school to see it, but that's just a question of degree.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2020 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This week's STARGIRL didn't get recorded for some reason, and it wasn't on On Demand last time I looked. 

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version