Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2020 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So far, I'm liking it a lot!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2020 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Lately I've been weary of superhero shows, especially if the name Berlanti show up in the credits, but I gave this a try because Geoff Johns is involved and I really liked his JSA run. I liked the episodes I've seen. 
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

None of the preceding DC television shows have been for me, but I've enjoyed the first two episodes of STARGIRL. *fingers crossed*
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I like how effortlessly the JSA was translated into the 21st Century. Presumably they've been updated by DC in the thirty or so years since I've read a comic about any of them, but back when I was a fan, it seemed like the WWII origin was non-negotiable.

I also like how the stakes and setting are so... appropriate. DC once set a comic book called Wild Dog in the Midwest, and 14 year-old me found the idea of Iowa being a terrorist-ridden shithole preposterous. But it makes perfect sense the Injustice Society would turn a small Nebraska city into a clandestine fiefdom.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

" - - But it makes perfect sense the Injustice Society would turn a small Nebraska city into a clandestine fiefdom. - "

That theme was a theme in the Buffy the Vampire TV series also.

DC's Stargirl was originally developed for the DC Universe TV streaming service, so the special effects budget for Stargirl is much bigger that a typical CW show.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The amount of comic accuracy they are going for, with regard to costumes and props, is really impressive.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 03 June 2020 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's been fun so far...has the most comic-book vibe of all the WB stuff. A lot of
conceits of the genre, but definitely pure comic vibe. Really like most of the
casting...I'm still struggling with Luke Wilson...he seems to really capture the
spirit of the character, but I keep getting pulled out. Icicle...talk about a great
villain.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2020 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My son and I are really enjoying this show, maybe I do a little bit more because I'm way more familiar with the characters and with the JSA.  Nevertheless, he's also getting into it.  I do find it a bit weird that all the Injustice villains have ended up in Blue Valley, but that's the comic book element coming in (I suppose).

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2020 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The first two episodes struck me as somewhat corny -- I appreciate Johns' desire to get away from DARK DARK DARK all the time, but slipping into gosh-golly-gee-whiz territory "bends the stick" a bit too far the other way. But I really liked the third episode and look forward to watching the fourth. Of course, I can't shake my desire to see the original JSA characters show up, not dead after all, especially Flash and Green Lantern and Hawkman and Hawkgirl.

(To those not watching the show -- yes, I know Hawkgirl wasn't a JSA member in the 1940s ALL-STAR COMICS stories. In this show she was a JSA member, presumably deceased.)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2020 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Adam, Flash might be dead, because they did show his helmet in the rubble.

Its obvious that Cindy was the one behind what got Yolanda in trouble. Whether she somehow spoofed Henry's phone or actually had access to it, we don't know yet. But his reaction when the photos were sent to everyone looked like he didn't know. When/if the truth comes out, I bet Cindy gets expelled or at least turned into a pariah. (If she doesn't turn out to be a supervillain.)

Did not like that Icecicle killed the Wizard and his son. What happened to the wand? Is Icecicle going to give it to someone else so they become the new Wizard?

I assume they're going to make changes to Hourman and Green Lantern, with Hourman's power coming from the hourglass necklace (can't use the Miraclo pills, or he'll look like a drug addict), and Green Lantern using the actual lantern instead of a ring.

Not thrilled they killed off the actual JSA, but understand the reasoning. Besides, they can easily fix that if Degaton shows up.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2020 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

For people watching on The CW, the first two episodes were about 8 minutes longer on DC Universe, so they were cut for time on CW. In the first three episodes on DC Universe, there's this bearded school janitor that Courtney keeps catching looking at her.

I think he was cut from the pilot for The CW airing, but have you seen him in subsequent episodes?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2020 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I don't have DC Universe, so are they 8 minutes longer because of a lack of commercials?

The janitor has been in the background a few times I believe, but nothing about her catching him looking at her. I don't think they've even shown him close up.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version