Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 3
Topic: BATWOMAN....lmao!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
Agreeing with Petter. A lesbian character doesn't need a lesbian actress, any more than a gay, Jewish, Bostonian, etc. character needs that kind of actor. That's why it's called ACTING.

A lesbian actress might make different choices in her performance, particularly in scenes dealing with the LGBTQ experience, from a heterosexual actress who only understands those experiences from the outside. That perspective is important in lending an authenticity to the portrayal. While I don't think an actor needs to be LGBTQ to give an authentic portrayal, I do think someone involved in the production should have that perspective to give feedback, and it's easiest if it's the actual actor.

QUOTE:
To pick at a sore point, we've even seen characters who are Asian, black, even female played by white men. The performances have naught to do with the actor's race, religion, etc., even if that casting is offensive to us.

More often than not, these types of performances end up being what a white man thinks Asian/black/female characters are like versus having any sort of authenticity. So it'd be incorrect to say performances have nothing to do with race, gender or so on

I'm not saying that no actor can play something outside their experiences, but if representation is important, someone involved with the production should be able to offer that particular perspective.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oh brother...

Straight people have played gay roles for years, and gay actors have played straight.  And when straight actors traditionally play straight roles, no one bats an eyelash.  And no one says boo when when gay actors appear in LGBTQ-centric films.

But when producers are looking for a lesbian actress to play a lesbian role, suddenly it's an issue for this particular series?

Why, I wonder?

Edited by Shaun Barry on 25 May 2020 at 1:52pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My belief is that they're trying to appease the LGBTQ community by going with a lesbian actress. Because when Ruby Rose was cast, some people bitched because they didn't cast someone Jewish.

Its sort of like when some people complained when they cast a caucasian as Iron Fist. Though in that case it was because the people whining were unfamiliar with the character.

Watch there be no one complaining when the Snake-Eyes movie comes out....

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
Its sort of like when some people complained when they cast a caucasian as Iron Fist. Though in that case it was because the people whining were unfamiliar with the character.

One of the most vocal people about Iron Fist's casting was Marjorie Liu, an Asian-American author who has written for Marvel, and she was familiar with the character. Her point was that Iron Fist is steeped in Orientalism and several tired tropes of white men being exposed to an outside culture and excelling within it (see DANCES WITH WOLVES, THE LAST SAMURAI). Her argument was that casting an Asian-American Iron Fist would subvert some of that.

I was fine with a white Iron Fist, but even I had to cringe at scenes in the Netflix series where Danny Rand had to explain Eastern philosophy to samurai-trained Colleen Wing.

Again, this speaks to the importance of representation. I did not agree with Marjorie Liu with regard to the necessity of an AA Iron Fist, but I understood where her arguments stemmed from. Whereas I saw a lot of white dudes saying, "Wut? Why are you saying that?"

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Getting back to Batwoman, the day after the annoucement was made, tvline posted an article talking to one of the producers about it and they said that her leaving the show was a mutual decision and went on to specify three things in particular that were at issue here... 1) Ruby was having an issue with the long hours involved, 2) she was apparently unhappy living in Vancouver (they didn't specify exactly why but that doesn't matter as not everyone likes where they have to live for work) and 3) that her unhappiness was bleeding over onto the set and making the work enviornment uncomfortable for everyone else.

Frankly, I was surprised she was cast in the first place as I'd heard stories about her having issues with longer projects in the past which doesn't bode well for a lead on a tv show that has long hours and a production period that lasts an average of 9-10 months per year. 

And for the record, her injury wasn't to her back, it was a neck injury caused by the earlier design of the cowl which they later altered to make it more comfortable to wear.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:28am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So far, my favorite of the names thrown out there to replace Ruby Rose is Wallis Day, who played Nyssa-Vex, Jor-El's mother, on KRYPTON. She already rocks the pixie cut, has done a DC TV show, wouldn't be a drastic departure from Rose physically, and looks more like she could be Rachel Skarsten's sister than Ruby Rose did.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version