Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: The Future of Cinema Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've paid for movies where I was the only person in the theatre.  I'm sure we all have at some point.  But that doesn't speak for the tentpole films that fill theaters Fri-Sun.  The weekends of full capacity drives theaters and studios to continue this antiquated system that then sees Mon-Thurs decline by huge numbers.  That's really why theater owners of all stripes, from the big to the small, live on such razor thin margins.  The entire model is essentially built on weekend box-office and an uptick in weekday theatre viewing in the summer.  That's what gets them through each year.

And now COVID has put a wrench in that by depriving US theaters of the one solid base of customers over a full week of a solid season of roughly three months.  

With LA nowhere near reopening theaters and NYC hesitant, you're taking the two biggest markets out of contention right now.  So how can Disney or Universal or Paramount release a big budget film in this environment?  The answer is that they can't, which is why we'll see TENET and MULAN move away from their August openings (which have already been moved TWICE) in very short order.  
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've paid for movies where I was the only person in the theatre. I'm sure we all have at some point.

••

I used to take myself to the octoplex when I was still living in Fairfield. Usually a Tuesday or Wednesday matinee. I almost always had a private screening.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The closest I came to being the only person in the theater was when we saw HURRICANE HEIST. Besides me, my now wife and stepson, there was only one other person in the theater. And he left for good around 20 minutes into the film.

(HURRICANE HEIST was actually a decent movie, but not what we originally planned to see. We intended to go see A WRINKLE IN TIME.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The weekends of full capacity drives theaters and studios to continue this antiquated system that then sees Mon-Thurs decline by huge numbers.  That's really why theater owners of all stripes, from the big to the small, live on such razor thin margins.
----------------------------------------------------------
Sadly, this is a rock-solid description of things. It is very much an antiquated way of seeing movies, but remains my absolute favourite way of experiencing a film. Like so many other things, the pandemic is bringing forward what were inevitable changes in a quantum leap. I really hope enjoying films in movie theatres survives in some semblance of what went before, but I fear the change will be seismic.

Scott Wegrzyn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

When working in Boston, I would go to the first half of a
movie at lunchtime. Plenty of room to stretch out and
relax.

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I feel like there's going to be kind of a reverse game
of "chicken" going on between studios and theaters for
a long time.

The studios are going to be reluctant to release any
major movies (like BLACK WIDOW, TENET, or WONDER WOMAN
1984, for a few examples) until they know for sure
that there will be enough theaters open to make it
worthwhile.

Whereas the theaters are going to be reluctant to open
if they have no major new movies to show and make
their re-opening worthwhile.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm so starved for content I was ready to pay $24.95 to stream NEW MUTANTS during that brief shining moment a month ago when it looked like it might be imminently available. At this point I'll happily pay a premium to stream BLACK WIDOW, TENET, or WONDER WOMAN if that's what it takes, especially because of my new, massive television set. Thanks to MoviePass and AMC, for 26 months from 2018 to this past March I saw dozens of movies for around $3 each average, so now's I guess I should be willing to pay the karmic piper.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2020 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Like anyone else across the country, my family and I have rapidly settled into a Netflix/Amazon/Hulu groove, and if there are no favorites on those platforms, I'll order some digital copies off of Vudu.

Considering how much money we've been saving, and how all 3 of my kids are getting older, I get the feeling we just won't be going back to the movies as often, even if they reopened tomorrow.

A very strange feeling to realize the average moviegoing experience has now become a thing of the past.  It'll come back someday, I'm sure, but it still won't be the same.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The big news is that TENET and MULAN has been delayed again. I think even if they somehow got theaters to open in August, few would dare go. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2020 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The phrase "Hell is other people" springs to mind
whenever i visit the cinema, which is usually first
showing on a Sunday morning to avoid selfish morons.
Over the years i have built a pretty decent home cinema
set up, so i am quite happy to stream movies, and am
quite happy to wait the 3 or 4 months from cinema to
home. The saving based on just my wife and me is a
bonus, so i can understand why families would prefer to
stream.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 11:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

MULAN has now moved to PVOD in the US on Disney+ and theatrical worldwide where it's able to be screened.

In a nutshell, in the US you have to subscribe to D+ and then pay an additional $29.99 to rent MULAN.  Confusion seems to be whether you then "own" it in your D+ library or it's like a typical rental that expires 24-48 hours after you watch it.  In either case, this is huge.

I'm going to assume that the audience for this, separate and apart from the US, will be those markets whose physical theaters are already open for audiences and that certainly includes China. They were always going to be a key player in the box office for this film.  Additionally, the movie cost north of $200 mil (much more than a typical release on Netflix) and they also spent millions on promotion for a release date they had to move no less than three times.  Earnings reports show the parks side of Disney has lost billions in just the last five months, so it's no wonder that they're floating this option to see the response.  Recoup as much worldwide as they can while international theaters are open and see how much the American audience is willing to pay for PVOD.

I'm not opposed to it.  For a family of four in Los Angeles, tickets, parking and concessions will easily top $80 or more.  In that light, $29.99 is a steal.  Hell, I'm on record saying that I'd pay upwards of $60 to watch BLACK WIDOW at home.  Considering just two tickets to an IMAX 3D showing will set me back $52?  Sure.  I'll pony up another $8 and thank Disney at the end of the movie.  

Crazy times.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I wouldn't pay it. I'm single and live alone, so $30.00 for a rental is far too much! Going to see a movie is nowhere near that price for me.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version