Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: The Last Dance Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Fuck you, Karl Malone. It was intentional.
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My bad Rick, by "live" I meant I was watching it live on tv.

Yeah Brian, that commentator was oblivious. I heard the other side as I was watching the Detroit telecast. Just the way Daly ran onto the floor, you knew this was much more than  a hard foul. Watch Stockton after Thomas blows by him, he instantly looks down low for Malone.

As for McHale, pure class! I was a Celtic hater but just couldn't bring myself to disparage him....much. In fact I used to practice and use some of his 112 low post moves myself!

BTW I still think McHale's toe was on the line to force a 2nd OT in game 2 of the '88 playoffs grumble grumble.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It was not!!!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oh, okay. Watching the play again, it's clear Utah was after Thomas because while Malone gets the attention for leveling Thomas, if you watch the play develop, Mark Eaton also fouls him with a little extra oomph right before Malone takes his shot.

Regarding the two OT game two of 1988, it's close. Through the magic of youtube, here's the full game. Was McHale's foot on the line? The play takes place starting at 2:01:41 and is exhaustively replayed with slo mo zoom-ins and I'm still not sure. His foot initially seems to be on the line but then it seems to draw back further before the shot is released but it's either barely touching or barely not. In the absence of definitive proof to overturn, I say the call stands. But then, I'm possibly biased. :) Clearly the ball was intended for Bird and McHale just picked it off the parquet and hoisted a prayer that somehow got answered.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Like Chuck Daly said at the time "It must be the Leprechaun."

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Bird On Laimbeer

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2020 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I watched that yesterday, Rick. Good interview.

Giorgos Goumas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Bird seems so easy talking in that full interview, and with some fun moments like that he would  like to play with Kobe (his favorite) of course  he wouldn't be shooting as much!  Link

Great player, and it was nice to hear from Jordan in the Last Dance that he wannted to be in the Bitd and Magic category.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, Bird really respects LeBron's game but push comes to shove, he favors Kobe for his thirst for winning. To be fair, the interview happened seven years ago, so before many of LeBron's greatest playoff moments. Here's the whole Bird / Bill Simmons interview for those interested. Bird Interview

Edited by Rick Senger on 05 May 2020 at 3:48pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Back to THE LAST DANCE. Jerry Krause started out as a solid GM. He brought in offensive guru Tex Winter with his first move (brilliant.)   Pippen and Horace Grant were his choices; both excellent picks. He made the tough and initially controversial move to trade Oakley, who was a solid defender and rebounder and Jordan's best friend, for Bill Cartwright, a much older if more complimentary big for the center position. At the time it seemed short sighted (I hated the move as did Jordan) but Cartwright unquestionably was a better inside scorer and importantly defended Ewing better, leading to three straight titles. Even Jordan later admitted Krause may have been right. Krause snookered Pippen into a lousy contract which allowed them to bring in other good players using the money they'd saved on him. He brought in Phil Jackson despite Doug Collins' popularity. Kukoc, Kerr, Rodman (who he neatly acquired for draft failure Will Purdue)... almost all of the pieces that led to the 72 win season (sans Jordan) were Krause.

However, at some point along the way, Krause got deluded by his own success. There's that telling moment in THE LAST DANCE after a championship where Krause starts spouting about how it's the management that was the best thing about the Bulls, not the players. And he wasn't including Jackson in that equation, either. Krause apparently hated Jackson getting so much of the credit Krause felt he deserved that he made it his mission to get rid of Jackson and he was even willing to dismantle the team at the same time.   5 titles in 7 years (soon to be 6 in 8) wasn't enough. It still boggles my mind that despite Jordan promising he'd leave if they canned Jackson, that's exactly what happened after their sixth title. How do you break up the Beatles at the height of their popularity? Come to think of it, that's what happened to the Beatles, as well. Is it just impossible not to let massive success and popularity negatively affect / delude your outlook?

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2020 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm sure Krause thought he could simply build it back up again, but even the seemingly best run teams eventually fall back (ask GS and SA). The Bulls made at least the conference semis 11 straight years (8-3 including when Jordan was baseballing). After canning Jackson, Krause never again even made the post-season, resigning in shame five years later. In the 22 years since Jackson left, the Bulls have reached the 2nd round four times (mostly under Thibodeau but they were only 1-3 and got trounced in the next round by the Heat the one time they got through.)

Edited by Rick Senger on 07 May 2020 at 12:13pm

Giorgos Goumas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2020 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I read part of an interview of Barkley, which he said something like thatKrause shouldn't be held responsible for the dismantle of the team, as the owner wan't actually willing to pay Jordan and others the money they were actually worthy. Hope I didn't change the meaning of what je said.

And I agree, the owner if he wanted he could fire Krause and keep happy his star players, but he maybe preferred to not pay that much, or even maybe he was in same line with Krause and he was looking at building a new team for the future.

Great post btw Rick
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version