Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Q for JB: ’Throwing in the towel...’ Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2020 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB, 

Using this Corona slow-down to make my way back to my art board to complete long-delayed projects. Finding some of what I've envisioned, difficult to illustrate, I was curious to ask:

After drawing literally THOUSANDS of panels/figures/faces, did you ever have difficulty transferring EXACTLY 'whats in you mind (such as subtleties/emotions/angles)' to paper?

And if so, did you choose to 'throw in the towel' and illustrate it differently, or did you/do you push through until you get it the way you originally envisioned the image?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 April 2020 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Don’t tell anybody, but the pictures on the page are NEVER a perfect match for what’s in my head. I’ve learned to soldier on and “get it right the next time”.

(There have been a few commission I’ve ripped up and started over, but those are one-offs, so there is no “next time”.)

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2020 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Tangent question Mr. Byrne. Your art is always so fresh and unique; but I know that there are only so many variations on a theme, no matter how imaginative one is. When drawing incidental characters, do you have a "default" male or female face and/or figure that you use, or do you make everyone unique? I know what pride you take in your art, and your excellence, but is it worth taking the effort to create an entirely new character for Phyllis Tuggle in line behind Steve Rogers at the grocery, or Billy Farmer on the outskirts of a Thing/Hulk fight? Or does your mind just go on "auto pilot" and draw a basic figure and face?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 April 2020 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I try to individualize all the characters. I think it adds a layer of realism.

Caleb M. Edmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Funny, While attending the NYCC a number of years ago Marvel was hosting a panel detailing the process of creating a comic where they broke down the process from  script to printed comic. I remember posing the following question: 

‘How do one submit artwork that you KNOW  if you had a few additional days, they could make significantly better?’ 

Their response was two-fold: 
ONE: an artist must always realize that you are just ONE PART of the comic creative process (artist/Inker/Colorist/letterer/editor/printer) if any one in that chain ‘pushes their time out’ it affects the whole process.  
TWO: An artist (writer/illustrator/inker/etc.) can only improve in their craft if they learn to work within guidelines/deadlines. If you typically work on a piece until its ‘perfect’ you will never improve upon your craft. 

(Essentially, 'soldier on and “get it right the next time…') 

Makes me think to back to an artist I met at a convetion once who was offering ‘6-MIN COMMISSION for $60’. Once paid, he would literally start his timer and at the six minute mark, he was DONE!

Also a day or two ago, while hosting a video tutorial, I asked Adam Hughes the very same question and he gave the very same answer.

Edited by Caleb M. Edmond on 03 April 2020 at 1:39pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version