Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Trade Paperback Collections We’d Like To See Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 4:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There's a lot of things from multi-feature anthologies that really need to be collected--I would love a collection of the Bridwell/Newton SHAZAM stories from the Dollar Comic version of WORLD'S FINEST COMICS, and also the Ditko CREEPER feature there too.  And I don't remember how long Ditko worked on THE DEMON, but I'd like to see that again.

I mostly missed MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS' entire run, but I know there was quality stuff in there like Barry Windsor-Smith's WEAPON X, and I was happy to get the collected "Panther's Quest" by Don McGregor and Gene Colan.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't know if this is possible (maybe IDW could pull together a deal?), but I'd like to see collected editions of the random Marvel, DC, and independent obscure work by artists like Alan Weiss or Marshall Rogers.  And I know Jim Starlin has random one-issue gems in GHOST RIDER, SUPERBOY & THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, and more--it'd be nice to see a "Best Of" edition.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
Marvel's ROM

This!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Casting my mind back... Has DC collected SUPER TEAM FAMILY? #12 was one of my early experiences with continued stories.

++++++++++++++++++++++
The problem with SUPER TEAM FAMILY is that some stories were reprints. I had issue #8 (the Challengers of the Unknown fighting a  T-Rex on the cover), and it and issues 9 and 10 included reprints of DOOM PATROL, for example.

So a SUPER TEAM FAMILY collection would include reprints of reprints.

As for TPBs, I'd like to see ALL-STAR SQUADRON collected. Couldn't care less about YOUNG ALL-STARS, however. Or the Golden Age JSA issues of ALL-STAR COMICS in TPB rather than hardback ("Archives") form.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd like to see a Marvel Premiere TPB. There was a variety of characters after the Iron Fist run that I don't think have been collected.

For DC, other than some of the ones already mentioned, the original Black Orchid run. Fun stories, great art.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Marvel's ROM & MICRONAUTS.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I will second (fifth? sixth?) the following:

GENERATIONS 3
FOOLKILLER
JUSTICE LEAGUE by Steve Englehart
ROM

I had long despaired of any collection of MASTER OF KUNG FU (for those legal entanglements), so I dutifully collected most of the single issues--and THEN they collected it!  Same thing with HOWARD THE DUCK!  So, don't give up on ROM just yet.

And I normally don't care for hardcovers, but I recall the Michael Golden issues of MICRONAUTS were just amazing-looking and could really shine in an oversized edition.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2020 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks to Dave, I completed my run of ROM last year. So expect the
announcement any day now.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Brian Miller, thanks for taking one for the team! Sacrifices had to be made, but together, the Spaceknights will prevail! :-)

Wallace Sellars, I am right there with you on the Ramona Fradon Plastic Man idea, and Eric, a collection of those Bridwell/Newton Captain Marvel stories would be like a bolt straight from heaven. 

I'm also down with everyone suggesting the Rom, Micronauts, and Creeper collections. 

Marc Baptiste, back in 2001 and 2003, DC came out with two trades reprinting various issues of the Super Friends. I've long held these as examples of extremely poor editing as the first volume prints the first part of a two-parter and then goes out of it's way to avoid printing the second part (an art switch is done on Wonder Dog's reaction to the non-ending to make him perfectly okay with things ending on this note) while not reprinting the more logical starting point, Ramona Fradon's done-in-one first issue #3, which the characters in later issues refer to, but isn't included, in either volume one or two. Very irritating. 

There is also a Showcase Presents collection of the Super Friends.

One collection I was reminded by someone's mention of the Superman Family that still doesn't exist is the completely charming Mr. & Mrs. Superman feature from that series. Stories by Bridwell (mainly) and art by Schaffenberger (again, mainly) that were fun and very much in the spirit of the Fifties and Sixties. Schaffenberger's art would shine in a trade paperback and there is more than enough material to flesh out the page count if we include Action #484 and the back-up features from that era as well as the Superman Family issues where the Earth-2 Superman took center stage. 

Failing that, I have an even more extreme deep dive pick I'd like to see; a collection of Golden Age stories featuring Lois Lane's mendacious, overly-imaginative little niece, Susie Tompkins. She shows up in five or six stories from that era and returns for one appearance in the Mr. & Mrs. Superman feature. If you absolutely must, you can include the absolutely asinine Grant Morrison revisiting of the character wherein she's some sort of alien repository of meta-occurrences and extra-dimensional gobbledygook because, well, Morrison... Hey, it made perfect sense to him when he came up with it. The fact that he couldn't communicate it on the page is your fault. You're stupid. He'll take that next award now, thank you...

I'll put up with it to get the other stuff. C'mon, Susie Tompkins fans! It's 2020! Lying has never been popular or effective! 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes, I'd go for MR. & MRS. SUPERMAN too!  I agree, the art of Kurt Schaffenberger--and Ramona Fradon too!--would look great on the nice, crisp white paper of modern TPBs.  --so sign me up for PLASTIC MAN too!

One thing leads to another!  Talk of MICRONAUTS makes me wish for a Michael Golden collection of his DC work, half of which is Batman-related.

And that leads me to wanting some nice collections of Neal Adams' Continuity Comics!  But I don't know where you'd draw the line there though.  Most of them started off better than they ended.  (I really liked the first three appearances of MS. MYSTIC and MEGALITH/REVENGERS!)  But then, none of them really ended, right?  CYBER-RAD was the most consistent, but that trailed off too, didn't it?

And getting back to our host--was DOOMSDAY +1 ever collected in any way?  And I don't suppose there's any way for me to ever see his SPACE 1999 or other Charlton moments all together?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 2:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There are some collections of JB's work that I missed
such as OMAC and Generations. I think they came out when
I was in a period of not buying comics.

From my childhood it would be, as mentioned by several
people here, ROM and Micronauts. Both of which I hold
out zero hope for due to the licencing issues.
I mean, let's face it, ROM was practically Marvel's
third team up book and even spread out into other series
with the Dire Wraiths (which Marvel still seem able to
use for some reason). Luckily, I still have all the
stories, in either UK reprint or USA original, but I'd
still like to see them in a collection (or available
digitally, which is my preferred collection method now).

David Teller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2020 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I’d love to see those strange reborn Atlas comics that only had a few issues each - all wrapped up in a collection. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version