Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Exactly, if he`d had an arc that saw him suffering from
it, but overcoming it, i understand, but it seems like
they gave him a disability to tick a box, then promptly
forgot about it.
Also, were the ghosts that Graham saw in the Mary
Shelley ep explained, or the spider/hand thing?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Exactly, if he`d had an arc that saw him suffering from  it, but overcoming it, i understand, but it seems like  they gave him a disability to tick a box, then promptly  forgot about it.

óóó

They didnít forget about it. They just arenít making it define his character. What do you want exactly? For him to be confronted by a bike every episode? Itís not a well-known disability exactly because itís not that obvious except to the person dealing with it. 
Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They didnít forget about it. They just arenít making it define his character. What do you want exactly? For him to be confronted by a bike every episode? Itís not a well-known disability exactly because itís not that obvious except to the person dealing with it. 

I don't think you can launch the series and introduce the character with it and then say it doesn't define the character or bring it up again.

If it isn't important, it shouldn't have been the focus.  If it is important, there needs to be some kind of payoff.

It very much seemed like foreshadowing but it never led anywhere.  Which IMO, is poor writing.

But as I said, the internal logic was the bigger issue and even more flawed.  Why did they go to the top of a cliff?  Why did they take a train to some far off place to try and teach him to ride?  There was no reason given as to why they couldn't be doing all of that in their own driveway at home.  

I could at least see the rationale of putting him in a precarious situation to try and force the cure.  Not that I agree with it but at least that would have been interesting.  Grandma was out of ideas so the husband tries something a little more hard-ass and extreme.  It doesn't work which leads to conflict.  The grandma dies and now there are unresolved issues for Graham and resentment on multiple levels for Ryan.  Something.  Anything.  But, bupkiss.

It just wound up looking like Chibnall read an article about the malady and thought it would be cool to paste it onto one of his characters.  Reminds me of Valentino's Shadowhawk comic.  Just felt like a bunch of check boxes being ticked instead of an actual character.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"What do you want exactly? For him to be confronted by a
bike every episode? Itís not a well-known disability
exactly because itís not that obvious except to the
person dealing with it"

No! But why introduce such a trait in the first place,
if you`re not going to develop the storyline? I have
close experience of "not that obvious" disabilities, and
whilst they don`t define that person, they DO affect
their everyday life! So certain situations can be tricky
or defeating, IF they let them. Oh for the great
scripter in the sky to totally ignore it!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
No! But why introduce such a trait in the first place,  if you`re not going to develop the storyline?

Same reason you introduce a person who is a doctor or plays the ukulele or hates cats, I suppose. People with disabilities exist in the world. Acknowledging that in a character doesnít mean his story has to be about that disability. 

QUOTE:
have  close experience of "not that obvious" disabilities, and  whilst they don`t define that person, they DO affect  their everyday life! So certain situations can be tricky  or defeating, IF they let them. Oh for the great  scripter in the sky to totally ignore it!

As I said, theyíve acknowledged it throughout the two seasons. Ryan hasnít been mugging at the camera, crying ďI CANíT DO THIS BECAUSE IíM UNCOORDINATED!Ē, but you see when he pauses to take more time to do something. If you donít see it, you donít see it. 
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I was still thinking it might mean something story-wise in the future, but I guess three seasons would be a long time to wait for it. :^(

A writer like a musician is hoping to make every phrase and line count in the whole, that there are not unnecessary filler. They may not make that, but that is the idea... or for a painter every brushstroke count. I think a lot of modern writers brought up perhaps more as fans reading authors who were sometimes also fans, you are getting sort of watered down versions of shrinking numbers of influences and less actual learning and understanding of what a story is, how it functions, how they are built and not thrown together with 'this seems cool' or just a series of homages to their idols. A script editor can bring someone up only so far, but it could be a good one of those has been absent for awhile. Terrance Dicks was maybe the most solid the show ever had, and I doubt he ever had the mindset of making Doctor Who 'history' as a one time fan as much as being a professional putting out a basic quality of craft so he could keep doing it.

The Master did show a lot of change as a character from being Missy, they even contrasted this with an earlier incarnation in one story alongside her! I guess with the current panto-Master the growth was simply thrown out? Too bad. Female Doctor is just checking off a box people would mention now and then for ages. If it could have done something for the character it's pretty much evaded the screen so far.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Rebecca, there's a good reason the character growrh was thrown out with the current Master: He's an earlier incarnation, not a post-Missy one. And I hope he stays around for quite a while. I just wish they'd explain where he fits into things. 

I will say this: I felt casting a female Doctor right after a female Master was possibly stunt casting, but Jodie is good as the character. I'd love to eventually see a non-white Doctor. But if its the next incarnation, it definitely will be stunt casting. I don't consider the Ruth Doctor as part of the equation when it comes to that, since she's a past version.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2020 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Series 11 finale 2 parter drops from 4.85M(episode 9) to 4.55M(episode 10) in it's final episode.  That's the consolidated number after 7 days.

It's also the lowest rating of any of the 11 seasons of new Who, for whatever that's worth.

Edited by Andy Mokler on 09 March 2020 at 12:35pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version