Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Series Twelve II Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Bob said, "Or, the Master lies."

That's where I hope all this is going. But, what if it isn't?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As someone else said, this really is the illusion of change.  Even if the next showrunner despised this revelation, he wouldn't have to retcon it, he could just ignore it.  The Doctor is still the same character.  Still operates the same way.  Still fights the same villains.  Still has the same adventures.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There have been calls of pantomime in the past... especially under John Nathan-Turner. Oh the Myrka!

Lack of racism/sexism is being comfortable to criticize as well as to praise actors and actresses who are visible minorities the same as you would anyone. I like all the current companions, each one is interesting in their own right and the acting has been good. The Doctor is just in that fast talking-moving-lecturing thing I've disliked with others (except Tom Baker as he only did it sometimes and it had at least two different settings, underlyingly amused this isn't that serious, and not amused this is serious).

If they had made the gender change a byproduct of a kink in the regeneration process I'd have been fine, but without that I just don't see why these Galifreyans would change genders... and that it 1) was never mentioned before that I ever caught, 2) undoes Romana's character for me somehow as well as the Doctor's (they seemed to have a thing more so than Steed and Peel) though of course for some who think everyone is capable of being changeable and especially aliens they have no problem with that being less straight-forward than I always thought. Plus Baker and Romana II got married in real life) and 3) He had a grandaughter, (same exception for the very 'progressive' as with 2).

Undoing the threads of a character can leave you with a big nothing. Now there were incarnations before Hartnell on top of the gender change. Something went wrong with Davison's regeneration which explained Colin Baker's being so well, out of character especially at first - a Doctor who kills, gee why would any viewer of the first five doctors object to that as much as the silly 'costume'? That was a major disaster which got the show cancelled for the first time, of course it was a bloody mistake, not Colin's fault either, should've been JN-T replaced).

This could be a great show, especially with the great visuals available today, and too often it's a not as clever as it thinks panto. But they all had some of these things... Pertwee mentioning his mastery of Venusian Judo or whatever was cringeworthy every single time, much more than reverse the polarity, poor old Hartnell stumbling on lines sometimes, Troughton overdoing the clown at first (not that we can really see much of those episodes now)... and the naff looking Krotons and Nimons... I always thought the Sea-Devils came off poorly but the same people might've given us the amazing Draconians or those genuinely inspired Zygons (won't mention the pizza pie consoles, oops).

I dunno... The Doctor as a woman and acting like it's entirely normal and unremarkable... it seems like they made more of the Master becoming Missy before that. I just don't see the point other than show-offy 'diversity'. They've hardly had Jack Harkness be a thoughtful bi or gay character either. He has mostly been a cartoon hitting on everyone quite hammily.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Other than Bradley Walsh, I’ve been spectacularly underwhelmed by the companions. Case in point: I struggle to even remember their names after two seasons - Graham the old guy, the copper and ... the guy who can’t ride a bike.

<<If they had made the gender change a byproduct of a kink in the regeneration process I'd have been fine...>>
Me too. But of course, if they’d done that there’d be an outcry of ‘being a woman is some kind of genetic mistake’ 

You just know that would happen these days.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just FYI, the "old guy" and the "guy who can't ride a bike" have both quit the show.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wha-? Is that confirmed?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Apparently Bradeley Walsh is leaving to be Pop Larkin in
a Darling Buds of May remake, and Tosin Cole has been
cast in a U.S. tv series.
The guy who can`t ride a bike because of Dyspraxia,
which i don`t think has been mentioned or he`s shown
symptoms of since early in his first season!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The guy who can`t ride a bike because of Dyspraxia, which i don`t think has been mentioned or he`s shown symptoms of since early in his first season!

------

There have been references to it. He was shown focusing really hard on shooting a basketball in SPYFALL (which got a call back in the finale), and I want to say it came up again in the Tesla episode. He's not been screaming "I have dyspraxia, so I'm uncoordinated!" because who does that?

I mean, the point of the bike scene wasn't "He can't ride a bike", but "Riding a bike takes more effort for him than the average person, so he was giving up."

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

dunno... The Doctor as a woman and acting like it's entirely normal and unremarkable... it seems like they made more of the Master becoming Missy before that. I just don't see the point other than show-offy 'diversity'. They've hardly had Jack Harkness be a thoughtful bi or gay character either. He has mostly been a cartoon hitting on everyone quite hammily.

-----

If you focus on it, then it's only being done for the sake of diversity. If you treat it like it's no big deal, then it's only being done for the sake of diversity. Fuck that noise.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Hardly"

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

No, you know what noise is to be "fucked"? Characters that were straight white men being "recreated" as a minority, gay or women characters because that's bloody table scraps. I say no thanks to it. It made no sense, it went against what was there for decades, and it's also like saying straight white men are disposable on top of that... so as a woman, no thanks, I liked the white male usually celibate but with flashes of heterosexuality character as portrayed on the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s and most of the '10s in tv, books, comics and film just fine. Was there something wrong he is white male or hetero if anything? Can sci-fi fantasies starring new female characters not work that they have to co-opt and existing non-female success?

Gosh, thanks for the table scraps very few asked for, so benevolent, like all the extra publicity wasn't the main goal, but I'd rather have my own new thing and allow the people who liked the already existing Doctor Who and supported it for so long through thick and thin have something resembling what was established! While maybe no worse than some other radical remakes it is certainly no better, and like the Colin Baker era is proving to not be sustainable, because it has no reason or point, no story purpose whatsoever. Just a not so bright stunt (done so many times these days) to get some attention and then lose it faster. Nothing empowering here, I would rate the original Romana as more empowering, or the '60s Batgirl as corny as that show could be as empowering, but this... it's just hand-me-downs taken from somebody else, and if that somebody still wants it...

I was tired of these dividing people against each other tactics for the sake of some kind of culture war fought through things like genre tv and comics... just hire more women, gays and visible minorities to create their own things, don't have what might even be white straight guys pretending to serve that audience by changing old successful characters into empty slot-fillers of a sham diversity. Making Doctor Who female does nothing like a solid female character (Romana and Ace, the heart surgeon from the '90s movie) would, or better yet a female writer or producer. This is empty and I think most people can see it. If it's a decent episode it's not in anyway because of the Doctor now wearing a female form, and if it's crap it's also not because of that... it's just a senseless nothing leading nowhere for me. If a black man wants to say the same of the current Nick Fury, that it's table scraps, an insult, inauthentic, not empowering, I sure wouldn't say F that noise to him. That's as bad as this all lives or white lives matter junk when someone is trying to simply say black lives matter. Female characters matter, but guess what, Doctor Who has never been one, and I would say still isn't, 'he' is just a shallow cheap grab for attention.

This Doctor really makes no sense at all, and can go nowhere but back to the start like so many of these desperate radical re-envisioned look at me now messes. After two seasons it's not 'addressing' gender, it's not an opportunity for female anybody but one actress (who is at least as directionless as Peter Davison or moreso, although I would of course wish for her a Androzani to go out on). In other words, the change leads to nothing but tokenism. At this point, having given it a chance, the nays pretty much outweigh the yays both from the fans and from the casual audience continuing to tune in (they aren't). This is not deepening an existing character it's cancelling one out to an extent, it's not provoking any interesting stories or emotions... so why mustn't one ask why? Answer is it is for the sake of appearance only. Girls and female viewers would be far better served by either a new character or bringing back an existing one like they did with Sarah Jane (who even got her own show for awhile).

"Don't give me no hand me down shoes. Don't give me no hand me down love. Don't give me no hand me down world... I got one already" - Canadian rock band The Guess Who once sang back in the '70s. So this is equality? This is success? I rather think not. :^)

Having someone going around sexually hitting on everybody to show how bi they are is more like a lack of a real character (if this was a stereotype hetero character hitting on all the 'opposite sex' it would be no more enlightening) is what I was saying, the flip of the coin of having someone being female suddenly but it not effecting them particularly or the stories.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 07 March 2020 at 1:02am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The guy who can`t ride a bike because of Dyspraxia, which i don`t think has been mentioned or he`s shown symptoms of since early in his first season!

This is a microcosm of what is wrong with the current series.  This bit was the introduction of the whole series and it made no sense and served no purpose.  I was not aware of Dyspraxia and it seemed an interesting issue for this character to deal with and I had no problem with that part of it.

But why in the world would this guy's grandma and her husband choose to teach him how to ride a bike at the top of a cliff?  A cliff that they all had to travel by train to get to?  It's never explained and in the 6 episodes I watched, it served no purpose.  It wasn't foreshadowing or anything.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version