Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Series Twelve II Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2020 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As far as how the show is trending, I can only go by what the reviewers I've watched on YouTube have talked about and the variety that I occasionally check in with all say that the show is hemorrhaging viewers and ratings are dropping.

óó

YouTube channels are a horrible source of information. Series 11 actually had higher ratings than Capaldiís and (I think) Smithís entire runs. A lot of that was probably curiosity over a female Doctor. Once time-shifting is taken into account, the viewership is just reverting to the norm. People (especially Millennials and younger) donít watch as much TV live anymore. 
Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2020 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You're right, but this guy seems to be incorporating those things:
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2020 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Still not seeing why the Doctor switching gender is any stranger than any other regeneration. He/she is like the TARDIS in that what is on the outside is misleading. Young, old, tall, short, male, female. The Doctor is an alien being who wears different bodies like we pull on different clothes, and has been doing so on our television screens since the 1960s. It hasn't suddenly become weird.

Anyways, moving on, I thoroughly enjoyed last night's little visit with Mary Shelley. I think that might even have been Jodie's best episode to date. Of course, the story throws a spanner in the works with Big Finish, who had the 8th Doctor meet Mary Shelley on the very same night The Haunting of Villa Diodati takes place (after which, Mary became a companion for the Doctor in a handful of audio adventures - she even met a Cyberman!). The canonical status that Mofatt bestowed on the Big Finish range in The Night of the Doctor has now been taken away by Chibnall. Even as we speak, though, fans are frantically coming up with ways to explain how the television episode and Big Finish version of events can be reconciled. For my own part (and it's possibly my turn to be controversial now), I think what appears on the TV screen should always take precedence over the spin-offs, be they books, comics or audio adventures.

Eric Morin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2020 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

When did the Doctor get the Vulcan Mind Meld ability? I
don't recall it being featured before this regeneration.

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2020 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Doctor's mind meld is not new, but is rarely used. Eleven used it a couple of times, notably to plant a suggestion in Amy's mind when he placed her in the Pandorica. I'm certain it was used in the original series as well, though any precise memory escapes me.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2020 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Apparently, the numbers the BBC uses to calculate ratings resemble what YouTube uses.  Meaning, as long as someone tunes in for 2 minutes, they count it as a full viewing.  It used to be that 70% of the episode was used as a gauge but now it's 2 minutes.

Doesn't seem like an honest rating to me.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2020 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Doesn't seem like an honest rating to me.
------------------------------------------------------

Well, it makes the current numbers useless for historical comparisons.  But unless that has changed really recently, it can still can confirm, for example, that Jodie Whitaker's ratings have been somewhat better than Capaldi's and significantly worse than Matt Smith's.  And of course, if everyone is using that standard today, in comparison to other currently broadcast shows its as valid as any other measure. 

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2020 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jVcsZ4hMnQ

Comparing the first 2 seasons of various Doctors, Whittaker's season 12 is doing rather poorly.  About a million less per episode than Capaldi season 2.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2020 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've seen some people place the blame on Jodie.

Absolutely not. There is nothing wrong with her or any of the other cast members. Tge problem is that Chibnall is doing an awful job as showrunner. And there have been more bad to average episodes than there have been great ones. Capaldi didn't have this many yawn fest episodes at this point in his run as the Doctor.

If anything is wrong with the characters, its that they haven't made Yaz more interesting. Other than Demons of the Punjab and Can You Hear Me?, she's just not been all that entertaining.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2020 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

While its totally subjective, I struggled to stay interested last season and haven't revisited a single episode since it ended.  This season, however, has majorly pulled me back in.  Assuming the ratings this season are indeed bad, I wonder how many people were turned off by last season and didn't stick around for this one.

Vishwas Aragam
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2020 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Iíve found this season a lot tougher to sit through than last season.
Maybe itís because Iím watching it with commercials this season, but I
feel like a whole episode should be finished and Iím only 30 mins in.

Some of the elements theyíve introduced this season like the Master
and Gallifrey, and the other Doctor could be interesting. If it provides a
satisfying conclusion I suppose Iíll be satisfied with the season as a
whole.

And I am bored with Yaz and Ryan. I would be okay with no character
growth as long as they had entertaining personalities, but I donít get
that this season either. I do like Graham though. And I like Whittaker as
the Doctor.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2020 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I watched this weekís episode and thought the Doctor was curiously ineffectual in it. First she tells everyone to set up their anti-Cyberman gear only to see it all blown to bits, then they run but get separated and the Doctor canít get back to the Tardis, then it turns out the young boy can fly the Cyberman ship as well as her, if not better. It made her ďIíve beaten you so many timesĒ speech rather unconvincing.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version