Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Series Twelve II Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2020 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Last night's episode was another instance of digging in the Classic Who crates.  And for a one-off, yet.
Back to Top profile | search

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2020 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Were they Eternals, or just comparing themselves to Eternals and Guardians?

I guess I'm still used to the time when the Rachnos, Sycorax, Weeping Angels, or other random alien-of-the-week would describe themselves as deep magic from the dawn of time, or deeper magic from before the dawn of time to seem impressive in the moment before the Doctor takes them down.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2020 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I read it as them being Eternals, but its ambiguous enough that they could have just been saying that the two of them were in the same category as the Eternals, the Guardians, and the Celestial Toymaker (the latter of whom was made into a Guardian in a novel).

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2020 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

They were referred to as Immortals.

Due to also being a fan of another franchise, I was *almost* hoping someone would show up and cut their heads off..... 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 2:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've been watching all the episodes with Matt Smith in
over the last few weeks due to travel.
I still like them, still love Matt Smith as the Doctor
and still love the Ponds as his companions.
There are a few episodes written by the current
showrunner and they pretty much contain social/moral
messages similar to what the current series have.

I've really enjoyed this run of episodes. I might even
give Peter Capaldi's first season a view as I dropped
that a few episodes in, not coming back until Clara's
last episode and then the Bill episodes (I really liked
Bill after initially thinking she would be a disaster
based on the first teaser clip with the Dalek)

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

They've totally lost me.  I was excited for new episodes last series but after about 6 of the new Doctor, I gave up.  It was just awful on so many different levels.  From internal logic, motivation, etc.  Not to mention I don't agree with the gender gimmick.

I could accept it with the Master as it makes sense for him to be crazy enough and driven enough to do it just to mess with the Doctor.  

I wonder how or if Doctor Who will survive as a franchise?  The ratings seem to suggest an exodus but I presume all of that can be manipulated.  I do know I haven't had ANYONE in literally years ask for anything Doctor Who related at my shop.  

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm puzzled by anyone still being upset that the Doctor switched gender. He/she has been old, young, light-haired, dark-haired, tall, short, fat, thin, so the Doctor switching sex doesn't trouble me. In fact, I have to say, Jodie Whittaker herself is about the only thing that I do like about the current season. Sadly though, as with Capaldi, her Doctor is let down by terrible scripts and a show-runner not up to the job. I hate the whole showrunner thing anyway though. I really wish we could get back to the old producer and script-editor model. I might have said this before, but basically we need to clone Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Not sure if you mean me, but I'm not "upset" by it but I do disagree with the change.  I don't feel like it was for the benefit of the character a story or the fans.  It was a marketing gimmick and it didn't work.

As far as Whitaker in particular, like I mentioned I gave it about 6 episodes and she was one of the things that didn't work for me.  But that isn't a sexist thing as I was on board with the rumors of Hayley Atwell potentially taking over(if it HAD to happen).

Of the problems the last two series have had though, I could imagine Whitaker being the least of the issues.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not sure why this particular regeneration is a 'marketing gimmick'. The lead actor changes from time to time and there have been all sorts of physical types over the years.  While you could make a case for the different variations of sonic screwdriver, Daleks and even TARDIS redesign being done for marketing reasons, it's not the same with the change of actor which is built in to the show. If it was the case you'd go with more of a bankable high profile celeb rather than someone with Whittaker's profile before she took over the role. While you personally might not think Jodie works, there are others who would beg to differ. Even with the poor scripts she has to work with she is dynamite.

Anyway, the good news is that if you don't like a particular Doctor then another will be along shortly. Personally I couldn't stand Colin Baker (more the fault of the scripts than the actor) or Matt Smith, but they came and went. Maybe the next Doctor will be more to your taste.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It is my impression that while "some" may find Whitaker "dynamite", most don't.  I agree that it isn't just her.  The show itself has had problems but they all seem to be culminating with this group.

Not sure why you feel that changing the Doctor to a woman wasn't a marketing stunt?  I don't see how it can be viewed as anything else.  This whole era of Who seems far more focused on gender and identity than anything else.  It definitely seems more important to them than telling good stories and science fiction.

Maybe Whitaker is just caught in that wash but I don't think so.  It's all subjective though and I realize that my opinion is related to how disappointed I am with the show.  But I'm also not alone.  The audience scores that I've seen from this year have been pretty bad and the last episode was sitting at 0% on Rotten Tomatoes for a while.  I think it's "up" to 16% though.

I think it just boils down to agenda over good story telling.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2020 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Not sure why you feel that changing the Doctor to a woman wasn't a marketing stunt?
-----------------------------------
Well, in part because they've been talking about casting a female Doctor for more than 35 years backstage.

As for Jodie Whitaker's popularity, she is much less popular than Capaldi among long-time fans.  She has a huge fan base among kids though.  Based on that, she's done a lot of work with children's charities.

And the current season really is head and shoulders above the last one, in pretty much every way.  I have yet to meet anyone who's watched both who thinks last season was better.  Still isn't everyone's cup of tea, which is fine, but things are trending in the right direction. 

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2020 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

But what do you suppose it means that they rejected the idea for those 35 years?  I'm sure there is lots of talk about doing wild, gimmicky things with all the franchises but exploring off the wall ideas doesn't warrant actually making those hypothetical changes.

IMO, it would have been a LOT better all around to just bring in a separate female Timelord and branch off for a while if regular Dr. Who was getting stale or whatever concerns they had about it.

As far as how the show is trending, I can only go by what the reviewers I've watched on YouTube have talked about and the variety that I occasionally check in with all say that the show is hemorrhaging viewers and ratings are dropping.  

It is nice if Whitaker is working with kids and getting them interested but I wonder if that is something where they like her in particular or if the kids would enjoy anyone portraying the Doctor interacting with them? 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version