Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: One Flake, Two Flakes, Anudder Flake, Anudder Flake Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Newfoundland Clobbered by Snow
Back to Top profile | search

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah they got pounded.
Out here in Alberta we didn't get the snow but we did get the sub-zero temps. In Northern Alberta  low temps of -52c = -61f and in the South we had -42c = -43f for the last week. Chinook winds moved in today bringing the temp from -25c at 8am this morning to 4c at 1pm.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

More
photos.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We got a storm warning toward the end of last week, and Friday morning the
breaking dawn had blazing red skies which seemed to indicate a big one
coming in...but other than maybe a couple inches...nuthin'.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I feel sorry for that baby, born into our world.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And here in Sunny Canberra, Australia, where we had our hottest day ever a couple of weeks ago (43C/110F), at one point also had officially the worst air quality in the world for a few weeks thanks to the smoke from surrounding bushfires, we just had a wild hailstorm in the past hour that smashed the centre of town with golf-ball to baseball-sized hailstones.

The important thing is for everyone to remain calm, continue to pray, and remember that man-made climate change isn't real. The planet has always had extreme weather events, stretching as far back as 6,000 years ago when it was formed.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2020 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If there was a global flood due to man-made climate change it would only galvanize the Dog believers in there search for the new Noah.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2020 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It took a while for me to be convinced climate change was man-made. The Earth has been thru so many radical climactic shifts in its geological history, tho this latest was undeniably real and serious, somehow claiming it to be of human origin seemed like a weak attempt to control our destinies. If climate change was a natural thing, we were toast. If we were causing it, we could fix it (even tho we wouldn't).

Eventually I came round, and saw this was, after all, human action at work.

Either way, tho, we're still toast.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2020 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

An amusing tale I've told before:

I was visiting a friend in Edmonton, 120 miles north of Calgary, when a blizzard swept in and shut down the whole city. She insisted I sleep on the couch, rather than trying to head south thru the storm, so I did.

Next morning, I got up bright and early, to find the storm was gone and the streets had already been plowed. So I headed south, down the Calgary Trail (called the Edmonton Trail if one was going north on it.) About an hour into my trip, I caught up with the blizzard, which was itself heading south. I pushed on thru, and after a hairy half hour or so emerged into clear weather on the other side.

A while later I pulled into the parking garage of my apartment building--just as the blizzard arrived.

So my attempt to avoid the snow meant I actually caught the same storm three times!

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The rather blaise attitude I had toward climate change was blown away based on my experiences over the past couple of months in my town. It's hard to describe just how depressing and eventually debilitating it is when your city is enveloped with poisonous air. We literally had the worst air quality in the world by a large margin for at least two weeks, and almost two months of a heavy smog-like pall over the town, that's just starting to clear.

You can't exercise, you can't go out and do much except the bare essentials, your home, even shopping malls and other public areas fill up with the foul air. Sure, for us it was the result of massive bushfires, but I got to see first-hand what daily life in Beijing or Karachi must be like. It's like living on Mars! This was a sunny, non-cloudy day like in front of my house:

One night, at the peak of the heat and smoke, I put on the movie Soylent Green and squinted at the images of a hot, sweaty, "New York 2022" with new appreciation!

Even if we're not directly to blame, why would we want to risk exacerbating the problem by actively pumping crap into our air and water? At the very least, we have to start looking at more energy-efficient, sustainable ways of life on the planet, out of sheer practical necessity, regardless of what's causing the climate change. Life will become a living hell if we just ignore the problem. Even the richest person can't really enjoy life if the air becomes toxic.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2020 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"So my attempt to avoid the snow meant I actually caught
the same storm three times!"

This happened to me recently on my hour-long drive home
from work, but it was a thunder storm instead of a snow
storm.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2020 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It took a while for me to be convinced climate change was man-made.
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------
I remember your posts on this subject. Good to hear you have re-evaluated.
We continue to learn a lot from you in maturity of thinking
a) the ability to re-evaluate
b) the ability to speak of that re-evaluation

This is off topic but I have long held that the fear of having a past position on a topic thrown in our faces should we actually re-evaluate our position is one of the major stumbling blocks to progress.
Politicians are vilified if they change their position on a topic and celebrated when they just entrench their position further, regardless of mounting evidence (or at least that is often how it seems).
Politicians need to be more bold in their flexibility and admit when new evidence requires a new set of actions.
The public need to realise that we change our opinions on a given subject regularly, and we should allow politicians to do the same.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version