Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Mindhunter - Seasons 1 & 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 January 2020 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

For several years I've tried to get my wife to watch this series from Netflix. The pitch appealed to me, so I knew it was right up my alley but would be a tough sell...and I was right.  A no-go until she acquiesced a couple of weeks ago and now we're both obsessed.  What a fantastic show!  Not at all what you think it would be going into it, but the rewards are great.  

For those that don't know, it's a series built around the beginnings of the FBI using profiling that began in the 1970s.  That profiling began with  jailhouse interviews with men we now call serial killers.  But it's more than just that.  It delves into the people, women and men, who took on that task and the toll it took on them.

It's an absolutely compelling series filled with standout performances by a cast who are hardly household names.  It's moody.  It's historically accurate, having lived in the 70s, and it's just a story well told.  

I'm more than a little sad to hear the recent news that the cast has been released from their contracts for a third season (Link) and hope that his is just a bump in the road for an otherwise fantastic ride. 

Highly recommended!
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2020 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Matt, shortly after season one's release David Fincher said in an interview that he had Mindhunter planned for five season. Having grown up just north of Atlanta, season two resonated quite a bit and I even gasped during a scene at an arcade that I had visited when I was much younger. The series is expertly produced and you are spot on by noting such fantastic performances from actors that most people would not recognize. It appears that Fincher's current production schedule is preventing him from committing to Mindhunter and that is a shame. I suppose I will need to find the book by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2020 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Watched both series back to back at the end of last
year, loved it. It inspired me to read up more on the
killers, which revealed how on the ball the performances
were.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2020 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

An interesting tidbit is that the actor who played Charles Manson in the second season also played him in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. I recall reading a brief interview with him in Entertainment Weekly where he mentioned that it was a neat coincidence that he got the same part in both projects and how that enabled him to play Manson at two different points in his life making it a neat little actors journey for him.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 12:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Eric Ladd wrote:
I suppose I will need to find the book by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker.

It's coming tomorrow via Amazon.  Looking forward to reading it!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

We are now nearing the end of Season 2 with just four episodes left.  I'm gobsmacked by how close in resemblance the actors are who have been cast as the real-life serial killers interviewed by the protagonists.  Every time a new serial killer is interviewed, I go straight to the net to get their history and to a man (they're all men) the actors bear a striking resemblance to the characters that they play.  And not just in a "I can kinda, sorta see them as that guy" but in a "holy shit! He looks just like him!" way.  

Kudos to the casting of not only the leads, but of all the ancillary characters as well.  Outstanding.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The original book, mentioned above, is outstanding. While reading, keep in
mind this book came out long before all of the profiling shows we've had over
the decade...the book was the start for all of it. The follow up books are good,
too...but this one is the best IMHO.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I found myself missing Ed Kemper in the second season. His performance was
so compelling.

I'll be disappointed if the series doesn't continue. Especially as there will be no
payoff for the BTK vignettes. I mean, they partially served to show that some
of Holden's assumptions about the universality of serial killer behavior was
wrong, but mostly they felt like they were building up to something.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Unless they did a time jump, there really couldn't be a resolution to BTK.  He wasn't caught until 2005.  

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I watched both seasons when they were released and fully agree that the casting, performances, and production values are top notch. I hope that Fincher is able to adjust his schedule to keep the series going, as I think it one of those hidden gems that viewers should track down.

On a side note, as a Barnes & Noble employee I can tell you that the book MINDHUNTER by John Douglas, on which the series is based, continues to be a strong seller at my store in the True Crime section. Most of that is due to the popularity of the TV series, but many of our regular TC customers are picking it up in order to get some insights on how the federal hunt for serial killers began and evolved.

The only other true crime book that I have noted which has the same level of appeal is ZODIAC by Robert Graysmith, which was adapted into a feature film of the same name some years back. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2020 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It would be a shame if Netflix pulls the plug on this one, as it was reported. Definitely a stand out in their catalogue, which is spotty at best.

The only other true crime book that I have noted which has the same level of appeal is ZODIAC by Robert Graysmith, which was adapted into a feature film of the same name some years back. 

An amazing book and an amazing film. The book's not really that thorough on an "investigative" way but it really shows why we as a society are so addicted to these kinds of things, and the mental wormhole an individual can fall in. A tale about obsession, really.

And the film is top notch. Fincher's best IMHO and he has quite the brilliant filmography. Very under appreciated.

Also, I never listened to "Hurdy Gurdy Man" by Donovan in the same way ever again after watching the film.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 20 January 2020 at 11:32pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 January 2020 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It wouldn't be Netflix pulling the plug, but Fincher's involvement in other projects that necessitate releasing actors from their contracts. The hope is that Fincher is able to return to the series at some point in the future.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version