Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Better Call Saul Season 5 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2020 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

We don't see either HHM or Mesa Verde in BREAKING BAD -- which isn't to say they aren't around a few years later but you have to wonder if Jimmy's vindictive streak towards Howard ultimately ends up in the dissolution of HHM.   It may also mean that Jimmy's share of the Sandpiper Crossing suit goes down the drain with HHM --- and we've seen Jimmy isn't above cutting off his nose to spite his face if it means sticking it to the man.

I have a feeling Kim's spotted that Kevin appropriated (perhaps innocently) the cowboy sillhouete from an unauthorized source which could spell a lot of trouble for Mesa Verde.   It could even result in Mesa Verde being swallowed up a larger banking conglomerate -- perhaps one of the rivals that Kevin seems almost obsessed with beating to the punch.   In the BB pilot Walter draws the money to buy the RV from "Mesa Bank", which may be a transformed Mesa Verde.

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2020 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I’ve had the sneaking feeling—for several years, now, in fact—that Howard Hamlin might just become the sacrificial lamb who would truly cause the birth of Saul Goodman as we know him, be it by dying, or by HHM collapsing.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2020 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Another episode that left me kinda bored. Weird tangent I guess but is the
Eastern stuff by Howard his answer to dealing w Chuck and in the most
superficial of ways a vanity plate and some art? Or is it now that Chuck's gone
Howard doesn't have to hide it? I think this ends w Howard dead somehow ( I'm
leaning towards suicide) and Kim without either a law license or zero desire to
practice it in any capacity.

Edited by John Harrison on 18 March 2020 at 7:51am

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2020 at 4:02am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Originally I had thought of three possibilities for where Kim ended up by the time of BB and/or the Cinnabon Gene future...

1) Recipient of the Hoover Deluxe service and far, far away from ABQ before BREAKING BAD starts.  This is how I think Jimmy becomes familiar with the 'service' -- though it seems Nacho is preparing to use it as well.

2) With Jimmy in Omaha, but we just don't see her (seems unlikely)

3) Dead.  Perhaps the least interesting option to me.

After the last few episodes I'm also not ruling out this:

4) In prison 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2020 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

“Wexler v. Goodman”.

Well, this was a powerhouse episode. Lots of continuity, here, both subtle and not.

Lots of fun to see Mike do his thing and nudge the police in Lalo’s direction for the murder of Fred, that poor TravelWire agent, at the end of last season. And, in a nice in-joke, one of the books Mike examines at the library is THE LITTLE PRINCE, which is Jonathan Banks’ longtime nickname for Thomas Schnauz, who wrote this episode.

Nice to see Ed Begley, Jr. return as Cliff Main. Jimmy’s increasingly petty and pointless attacks on Howard underline the fundament shift in his personality. All of his inhibitions and his desire to lead a straight life are evaporating. Being Saul Goodman allows him a release value to unleash his most vile instincts (not unlike Walter White and Heisenberg), which includes embarrassing Howard with the hookers in public and in front of Cliff. After five seasons of slow, careful development, we’re finally starting to see what drives Saul Goodman, and what that persona does for Jimmy on a psychological level. His hairline is also receding more and more, which will of course lead us to that infamous combover/mullet that Saul was rockin’ during BREAKING BAD. And he’s playing “Smoke on The Water” on the guitar when Kim comes home, a callback both to season one’s “Marco” (as was his rubbing Marco’s pinky-ring before meeting with Howard, two episodes ago), and his rebellious past.

Based on the end of the previous episode, I had a feeling that Kim’s strategy would be to use the origin of the Mesa Verde logo against them, and that certainly played out here. The surprising thing is that she actually tried to close Pandora’s Box beforehand and call the whole thing off. Er, to uncall Saul, so to speak. The opening teaser is very interesting, in that we finally get a real glimpse into Kim’s childhood, and see her stubbornness and strength of will even at an early age. I’m getting the vibe that her inevitably-destructive relationship with Jimmy is perhaps an attempt to make up for literally walking away from her toxic mother. The final line of the episode does give that idea a certain credibility. More on that in a moment.

The big confrontation at Mesa Verde is immensely satisfying. And absolutely horrifying. Jimmy struts in and goes full-Saul Goodman for the very first time. The arrogance, the swagger, the dirty tricks, the cheap and tacky showmanship. We’re reminded of the Sandpiper residents’ commercials from season two, echoed here in the most perverted way possible. Back then, Jimmy pushed the boundaries with his emotion-tugging commercials to try and help his elderly clients. Here, he’s using random strangers and actors to slander and extort Mesa Verde, full-stop. 

And he wins.

Which leads us to the crucial final scene, which has also been a long time coming. Kim is actually aware of the situation. She’s knows what she’s gotten into. Jimmy already conned her once, when he gave his “sincere” speech about Chuck at his reinstatement hearing before the New Mexico State Bar. Then, he twisted her arm into lying to her own client. And now, he’s kept her in the dark, ostensibly to protect her, but has also stabbed her in the back. I’m reminded of how Chuck told Jimmy that he believed that Jimmy really did care about people and really did believe that the ends justified the means, but that people would inevitably get hurt. Once again, Chuck’s self-fulfilling prophecy about Slippin’ Jimmy with a law degree being “like a chimp with a machine gun” comes true.

Kim knows the score. She knows that this will keep happening. And, yet, she...proposes marriage? Could it be that something is fundamentally broken inside of her, too? Enough that she’d desperately want to go all-in on this relationship? 

Now, it’s been noted that, back in BREAKING BAD, Saul casually mentioned his “second wife”. Based on the events of BCS (and its relatively short timeline in relation to BB—we’re currently about four years away from Walt getting diagnosed with cancer), many have wondered how (or if) that little dangling bit of continuity would be dealt with. Ignored? Retconned? Revealed to be one of Saul’s exaggerations? Perhaps not.

Great episode with great performances all around. The season’s gear just shifted. Buckle up. Here we go.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 23 March 2020 at 9:10pm

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2020 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Could it be that something is fundamentally broken inside of her, too?

She didn't really show any romantic interest in the Charlie Hustle side of
Jimmy, the caring brother, the struggling lawyer, but the slippin Jimmy parts
tho ... and now the Saul has emerged she wants marriage not of love but so
she will never be played again

Makes you wonder where her dad was in the flashback and what traits him and
Saul have in common

But yes she's broken self sabotaging and headed right into the wreckage of
something ....

All i could do was think as the proposal scene played out was Chuck warning
her about Jimmy ... the drips and drabs until nothing is left.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2020 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Either way, a big puzzle piece just clicked into place, because Kim’s past and her inner life have been shrouded in mystery for most of the series, and her clinging to Jimmy like a moth to a flame has raised some questions. More than once we’ve seen her unexpectedly go all-in with him in his schemes. 

This revelation about her relationship with her mother certainly reframes their argument on the rooftop parking structure near the end of last season, where he was furious about his reinstatement being denied, and she pointed out how she always comes running when he needs her. She’s now revealed to have a history of being the strong one, the one who cares for toxic people and gets them out of trouble. She clearly can’t bear to keep losing people to their own self-destructive behavior.

And this also brings to mind one of the overarching questions of the series—was Chuck right all along, or did his toxic relationship with Jimmy push Jimmy down the path that Chuck always believed he’d go down? I think it could be argued either way. We’ve seen again and again that Jimmy has a good heart, and means well, but also that he’s addicted to being a conman. This latest episode proves beyond all doubt that he is pathologically incapable of letting a good plan go to waste, no matter the cost. At the same time, however, the Saul Goodman persona is Jimmy’s coping mechanism, because his relationship with Chuck (and Chuck’s jealousy and lack of faith in him) damaged him greatly. 

White Knight Kim Wexler plus Saul Goodman equals disaster.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 24 March 2020 at 9:22am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2020 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Does she think she can "fix" Jimmy by marrying him?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2020 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Does she think she can "fix" Jimmy by marrying him?
+++++++

It’s a pretty common story for many people, so that seems like a distinct possibility.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2020 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think its the opposite.  I think she's finally realized that Jimmy isn't fixable or saveable.  That means she has two options, cut him out of her life or go all in.  Marriage is going all in.  But the status quo, of Jimmy being Saul and her trying to be responsible, professional, and above board can't stand because its destroying her.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2020 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yeah, I think it’s gonna go one of two ways—she wants to fix him, or she’s going all-in with him. Neither is a good option.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2020 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

But what does going all-in with him mean? She's gonna become a two-
bit shyster like he's becoming?

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version