Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: O Dog I’m Old! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 January 2020 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Web wandering, and found several sites referring to my brown and ochre Wolverine costume as the best and the CLASSIC version!

Classic? C’mon guys! I designed that suit in 1980, and that’s only... forty years ago.

Argh.

Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 3:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

On a much smaller scale, but something similar: I ran a website from 2004-2019. I get emails from people telling me they spent "most of their lives" regularly visiting the site, or "grew up with the site"! Ouch! I remember 2004 like it was yesterday...

We're also in a period where incredibly witty references I make to movies I grew up with, indeed anything that happened prior to the year 2000, get blank looks. Stupid punk kids!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When Kitty Pryde was first introduced,  she was a few years older than me. I'm now old enough to be her dad (even at her current age in the comics)! Eep!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Koroush wrote:
...I get emails from people telling me they spent "most of their lives" regularly visiting the site, or "grew up with the site"! Ouch!...

A few years ago on Facebook, one of my regular customers shared a post with me from one of his friends who had moved away years before that. In the shared post was a picture of a comic book backing board with my store's stamp on its back. The friend had written about it giving him a rush of nostalgia! I had my shop for two decades, but it's still weird to think I was around long enough to be someone else's nostalgia!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

When I started collecting comics (1979-80 ish) the wall hangers at the LCS were Amazing Fantasy 15, FF 1, X-Men 1 for around $250 - $300 BUT you have to remember they weren't even twenty years old. If we go back 20 years from today (2000) JB was working X-Men Hidden Years!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A few years ago, when I was given the Eisner Award for Lifetime Achievement (one of the most physically underwhelming awards I've ever been given), I was reminded of Peter O'Toole attempting to decline a similar award from the Oscars, saying he felt such a thing would mark the END of his career.

He accepted it only when told the award would be presented whether he was there to pick it up or not.

Harrison Ford, of course, famously referred to the same prize as the "Geezer Award."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Gary Cody and I are pushing 70 with both hands, and the other day, talking about what me might do in the way of a mutual "celebration", we agreed, reluctantly, that 70 is officially OLD. Not elderly, but unavoidably OLD.

Which reminded me of working on GENERATIONS, and trying to figure out when the various characters were born, based on their original timelines. Which had got me wondering just how old Ma and Pa Kent were, when they found Kal-El. They were described as "elderly", but the math suggested the rocket had landed sometime around 1913. What was considered "elderly" back then? The average lifespan for a white, middle class American was fifty-five(!!) for a man, so to be "elderly" Jonathan Kent wouldn't have needed to be more than sixty-five! Realizing that is what allowed me to do my Jonah Hex chapter.

American history is really SHORT!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I knew I'd entered the September of my years the first time I realized that I'd been teaching longer than any of my incoming law students had been alive.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Then along comes somebody like Kirk Douglas, who was 35 in the
1951 movie I watched tonight (Ace in the Hole), and makes
everyone feel young by comparison!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

After the first time I heard "September Song", when I was about 15, I tried to figure out just when "September" began, measured against an average human lifespan. (I've told you, it sucks to be me!)

Taking 72, for easy math, I got six years per month, making the beginning of September somewhere around our 50th year.

Really? When I was 15, my Dad was 45, pushing toward 50 and not seeming as old as the singer of the song. This was Hollywood at work, of course, with actors traditionally playing characters ten and twenty years younger than their actual ages, so 40, 50, sixty looked... old.

I remember "Life begins at 40" being a kind of meme-of-its-time, with a sad poignancy as it acknowledged that, yeah, at forty you were really pretty much done.

Times change!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As a kid, all those decades ago, I would not have blinked being informed that Aunt May, as drawn originally by Ditko, was definitely no older than 65. Today...?!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 January 2020 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In comics of yore there were very few age groups. There were "adults", such as Superman and Batman, or Reed and Ben. There were "teenagers", such as the Legion, or Johnny Storm and Peter Parker. Then there were children and old people.

Parents or parental figures tended to be portrayed as older than they really would be (Andy Hardy Syndrome), giving us a May and Ben Parker who seemed much older than Peter's parents would have been. Was Peter's dad a "miracle baby" born years and years after Ben?

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version