Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Eddie Murphy SNL Return Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Eddie Murphy returned to SNL last night revisited quite a few of his old characters

But Gumby stole the show 

Eddie is also returning to standup for a Netflix special after seeing him on SNL I don't think there any doubt as to how well he will do.   
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I agree. Gumby was a stand-out

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Agreed. That was the only returning character that was really funny. The others were just too forced and stiff. Other than Gumby, the funniest sketches were the originals. He was wildly funny in those. And other than Pete Davidson, Weekend Update was an absolute home run. I loved that they kept losing it. 

And did WE get away with a “Merry Fuckin’ Christmas” there at the end?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

ITEM: I am not a fan of the current Saturday Night Live, save for Weekend Update. And not the forced characters... just Jost and Che. They are hilarious.

ITEM: Last night, Eddie Murphy was great. Funniest SNL I've seen in a long tie. Most of the skits even had ends. And I loved "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood.

ITEM: There were all these guest black men* at the beginning, but... where was Garrett Morris? Unless he was asked and flatly turned it down, I think he deserved a spot.

ITEM: On a similar theme... I was hoping that the Masked Singer would be two singers, and turn out to be Murphy and Piscopo with "Ebony and Ivory". But such is the nature of TV...

ITEM: With a cast the size SNL carries, plus guest starts, I'm amazed the can afford anyone, let alone guests. But I guess you get what you can get.

ITEM: Pete Davidson - what is his reason? I'm sure HE thinks he's funny, but he comes across to me as having ridden the short yellow bus to special school as a youth. Maybe if I watched more SNL**, I would get him.

ITEM: Lizzo? Ah... I guess I'm too old, or too white, or somethin', but I not only didn't get her, I could barely understand her words.

This still will likely be SNL's biggest hit of the first part of their season, but I wonder what's going to keep the paying customers coming back. Then again, I suppose I've been wondering that for twenty years now.

*Well, what else would you call it?
**That'll be the day.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Great to see him. Way too overdue. It was a sweet holiday treat.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My favorite is probably Mister Robinson's Neighborhood. Most of his character revisits felt a bit gratuitous (especially Velvet Jones), but revisiting Robinson after gentrification was a brilliant idea. I'm not sure if it was as funny to non-NYers, though!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"There were all these guest black men* at the beginning, but... where was Garrett Morris? Unless he was asked and flatly turned it down, I think he deserved a spot."

--

I don't think the theme was simply "Black comedians", but "Black comedians that were influenced by Eddie Murphy". Morris predated Murphy. 

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Even during the Velvet Jones which really wasn't that funny you could just see how much Eddie was enjoying himself. Too many times the guest even returning cast members look like they are going thru the motions.  Hard to believe going thru youtube watching his early SNL stuff that he was 19 at the time.  

And I would highly recommend Dolemite is my Name on Netflix he kills in that as well.  Oscar worthy performance.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It was a lot of fun. I wanted Mr. Robinson, and got Mr. Robinson. I didn’t even think Buckwheat would pass PC muster, and I got Buckwheat. Eddie has an unparalleled talent for sketch comedy; it was a pleasure to watch him in that milieu for the first time in 30 years. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2019 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yeah, even in the lesser skits he was clearly having a blast. This went much better than his brief appearance on the 40th Anniversary special in 2015.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2019 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Velvet Jones was the only skit he did that I didn't like. But then again, Velvet Jones is my least favorite SNL character of his, to begin with.

The opening bit was great. Jason Sudekis as Biden and Maya Rudolph as Kamala Harris were fun. But Larry David was exceptional as Bernie Sanders.

As for Lizzo....meh. She's not good live, and I fast forwarded through her first performance immediately, because the song she did, `Truth Hurts' absolutely sucks. Its one of the worst songs I've ever heard, and I'll immediately change the station if it comes on the radio. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2019 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Weekend Update had some good moments like when Cecily Strong
played Jeanine Pirro. I also like the part where the anchors exchanged
jokes for Xmas.

Usually I like Black Jeopardy, but Velvet Jones wasn’t funny to me. I felt
it was done more for shock value.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic