Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Short Treks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2019 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I figured that since only one of the 5 new installments of Short Treks is really Discovery-centric, it could merit its own separate topic. Plus, since the two episodes released this past week are the first new animated Star Trek in 45 years, it seems fair to celebrate the occasion with its own topic.

For me, like with Discovery itself, I've enjoyed the second season of Short Treks far more than the first, which in both cases I also did like more than not. The first three live-action installments were just wonderful, and if the last one, "Ask Not", isn't a teaser for the actual ongoing Pike-era Enterprise series many of us want, I'll turn in my phaser.

As for the 2 animated installments that dropped last week...

"Ephraim and Dot" is the more fun, if ultimately inconsequential, of the two, perhaps most notable for being directed by film composer Michael Giacchino, who also contributed the short's music score. Spanning several years, it chronicles the humorous feud between an Enterprise repair droid and a tardigrade seeking to protect her eggs from it. We glimpse several notable iconic moments from TOS history and even the movies, with Giacchino's music even homaging the original music cues at the right moments.

There are some continuity mistakes, as Giacchino has copped to, but mostly it's fun. I also couldn't help but laugh upon seeing one certain name in the acting credits at the end, returning to Star Trek after 33 years.

"The Girl Who Made the Stars" is deeper and more rewarding, at least for me. It chronicles a bedtime story Michael Burnham is told as a girl by her father about a young girl facing her fears. A beautiful story, with beautiful animation.

Although both shorts are animated, they are vastly different. "Ephraim and Dot" looks a lot like a modern take on old-school Saturday morning cartoon animation, whereas "Girl" is more Pixar-like. But both looks are appropriate for their respective episodes.

I really enjoyed them both, although I think "Q and A" or "Ask Not" is still my favorite overall.

Any other opinions?

Edited by Tyler Kloster on 16 December 2019 at 1:28pm
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version