Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Greta Thunberg is TIME’s “Person of the Year” Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Who is more likely to be motivated by money: the scientific community or big business? Who is more likely to tell the truth even at the cost of profit: the scientific community or big business? Is the message of less consumption really that convenient for the environmental lobby or rather more inconvenient for businesses (and government treasuries) that rely on ever-increasing consumption?

Basically it all comes down to this. It couldn't be more simple.

But for the conspiracy theorists and communist fearing (thought McCarthyism had ended a long time ago, silly me) the 16 year old girl is clearly the aggressor in this situation and they even have the nerve to call you "naive" if you say otherwise.

Flat Earthers at least are funny.

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2019 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Jozef, have you read a single thing I posted?
I actually work in this field & have done my entire working life. I see the effects, I see the investment that has to go into combatting this, I see the initiatives that are enacted to make production & consumption more resource efficient.
I’m sorry to say this, but you are talking utter bulshit. You really are.

It’s not just about CO2, there are many other greenhouse gasses, some which make CO2 look like a rank amateur. Some of which negate the good that is being done (look up the gas emissions from wind farm switch gear), but we are trying to resolve those once we understand things better.

What you are claiming is real arm chair conspiracy rubbish.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2019 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's all about the sun, not the green house gases... Tell that to Venus, which is nearly twice as far from the sun as Mercury, but hotter... thanks to its dense atmosphere of CO2.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2019 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hottest day ever on record in Australia: LINK

And that's a national average, Jozef, so no cherry picking where the data is recorded in 'urban heat islands'.

Though it's kind of pointless arguing with someone who claims all historical data has been tampered with.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2019 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Jozef>>The dirty secret from the temperature record is that C02 levels follow temperature, not the other way around.<<

In Antarctica, yes.  Antarctica is not the only place in the world, nor does it represent the whole world.

This lag thing is usually a misciting of "Timing of Atmospheric CO2 and Antarctic Temperature Changes Across Termination III" -- Caillon et al, Science 2003, behind a paywall here, but you can read the abstract (or pay to read the whole thing): https://science.sciencemag.org/content/299/5613/1728

Here is a newer paper by Shakun et al from 2012 that quantifies the effect: https://www.nature.com/articles/nature10915

There's a lot of cherry-picked copy-paste in the denier community (particularly in blogs) without bothering to check the actual source papers that supposedly say it.

While it's true that there is a lot of hyperbole regarding the science outside the scientific community, the predictions of climate scientists have been quite good.

If you can find the original source paper to vet an opinion you found somewhere, you'll be doing yourself a favor.  Bloggers are rarely as rigorous in their citations as they should be.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2019 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have been told that it was hotter here in Phoenix before the Earth's crust cooled.

But I don't believe them.

Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version