Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Greta Thunberg is TIME’s “Person of the Year” Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2019 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You guys decide whether this is getting attention to environmental issues, or to Greta Thunberg, all-star leftist icon.

——

For someone who hates on Donald Trump so much, you sure do like to rage about irrelevant shit like he does.
Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2019 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Fair enough.

If you think that a world in which people become successful purely on the basis of their popularity, or ability to look and sound plausible, rather than relevant qualifications, experience, etc. is fine, then yes, this is irrelevant shit.

I'll leave it at that :)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2019 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Greta isn't a leftist. Her mission goes beyond politics. Which you should know if you've read about her or listened to her.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2019 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have read very few (I’m pretty sure the number is zero, but let’s leave a little wiggle room) articles that do not mention her & the environment together.

They may also mention other aspects but the environment still gets a mention.

None of which matter. The main thing here is that she really is getting a massive amount of attacks - which she was getting before she got angry @ the UN. Trump had had a go @ her before then. Which seems to have given others permission to have a go @ her.

Attack what she is saying, not her. But use facts not opinions (I know, they look so similar) & not crap like ‘her ability to look & sound plausible’, ‘leftist icon’
You demean yourself with those arguments.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Steven Myers wrote:
Greta isn't a leftist. Her mission goes beyond politics.

What the...? Are you being serious? She's been elevated to Messiah status now?

James Woodcock wrote:
Attack what she is saying, not her.

James, I'll help you and Steven: go back to the second page of this thread, where I quote her and highlight the naively simplistic basis of her arguments regarding the economy as an example.

Now I really will leave it. There's a strong odour of the wacky tabacky in the air around this topic. I'm happy to wait until Greta reveals her true nature and purpose (vapid attention-seeker) of her own accord.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Koroush, you really need to actually read the things Greta has said and study up on the science of the issue. You're attacks totally ignore the fact that she's right! We need action. NOW. Or it will be too late.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Koroush, here is a sample of what you posted on page two (a greatest hits if you will) (my replies in capitals, Sorry, I'm not shouting, but it means I can reply):

Greta is doing nothing to convince those who believe that it's God's will or nothing to do with mankind, etc.

EVIDENCE PLEASE. ANECDOTALLY, YES, I HAVE HAD A FEW CONVERSATIONS BY PEOPLE WHO DO NOT THINK MAN IS RESPONSIBLE. BUT, BY AND LARGE, THOSE PEOPLE DON'T ACTUALLY BELIEVE IN CLIMATE CHANGE FULL STOP.

In fact, I challenge you to name, off the top of your head, three policies that we need to enact to combat man-made climate change (no cheating and checking Google).

THIS WAS ADDRESSED AND THE CHALLENGE WAS BEATEN.
ADDITIONAL THINGS TO ENACT INCLUDE:
CLEANER PRODUCTION
CLEANER DESIGN
INDUSTRIAL SYMBIOSIS
CARBON CAPTURE
MAKING HOUSES MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT
MOVE AWARE FROM FOSSIL FUELS

I COULD GO ON - I'VE NOT USED GOOGLE FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE

I can imagine she's been forced to drop out of school and sit and yell "How Dare You!!" at the cameras. What with an opera singer for a mother and an actor for a father, this all happened organically...

PERSONAL ATTACK ON GRETA

Possibly equal as stupid as adult men and women following advice about the future from a 16 year old.

ATTACK ON GRETA BASED ON HER AGE. WHEN ACTUALLY, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW AS MUCH AS YOU THINK YOU DO ON THIS SUBJECT. FROM WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED SO FAR, I DO THINK IT LOOKS LIKE SHE KNOWS MORE THAN YOU.

Really Greta? You already have all of the solutions to fixing man-made climate change? Do tell... also, nice dodge on the reasonable critique that you have no true knowledge of what you speak.

PLEASE SEE ABOVE. IF WE ENACT THESE THINGS, WE COULD HAVE AN IMPACT. WE ARE NOT FULLY ENACTING THESE THINGS. DIDN'T SEEM TO BE A DODGE TO ME, SHOWED A LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ALL THE INITIATIVES THAT EXIST BY YOU.

She's also basically said that economic concerns are irrelevant in the face of collapsing ecosystems. Which is a great idealistic notion if you're 16, but older, wiser heads know that if you ignore economic concerns, such as massive job losses and resulting social upheaval, then along comes a demagogue like Trump, appeals to this large disenfranchised group (e.g. miners and farmers), wins an election, and undoes everything you've been trying to achieve.

SHE ACTUALLY HAS A POINT HERE, BECAUSE THE ECONOMIC CONCERNS WILL PALE IN TO INSIGNIFICANCE ONCE WE START HAVING WARS OVER WATER.
MIGRATION IS ALREADY HAPPENING. DROUGHT IS ALREADY HAPPENING.
THE UK ENVIRONMENT AGENCY SPEND OVER HALF OF THEIR ANNUAL BUDGET ON FLOOD PREVENTION.
THE ECONOMICS ARE SKEWED SO WE DON'T ACTUALLY LOOK AT THE WHOLE COST IMPACT OF CLIMATE CHANGE. IF WE DIDN'T SKEW THEM, THE ECONOMICS WOULD BE FRIGHTENING. AND IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE.

Again, this is why teenagers rarely make good policy analysts, politicians, indeed anything requiring deeper thought and mature, balanced, understanding.

ATTACK ON HER DUE TO AGE. Because adults have been providing mature, balanced understanding on a whole range of topic areas recently.

From this page:
I'm happy to wait until Greta reveals her true nature and purpose (vapid attention-seeker) of her own accord.

PERSONAL ATTACK ON HER

And back to lower case.
It appears you equate concern about the environment with, what exactly? Hippy, drug infused? Honestly, I stand by my previous statement that your comments serve only to demean yourself here. You are better than this but your defence is coupled with wild statements that are just thrown out there. Quote facts, look up what is going on to decrease man's effects, don't dismiss the research that people do just because there are other factors involved.

Circular Economy is a very difficult subject area. Yes there are economic and political issues to be addressed, but these will only get worse as the climate gets worse.
Developing nations rightly ask why the West is allowed to keep its expensive lifestyle while they would be stopped from attaining the same level of living standards.
The West has exported a lot of its pollution to the developing countries by exporting its manufacture to places where manpower is cheaper and environmental laws are more lax - that's on companies and consumers who want cheaper things.
None of this is a quick fix, but yes, the technologies really do exist. It will require changes, we need to stop changing phones every year, make things that last, repair things. And the economy needs to adjust to those changes in consumer habits.

So, complicated.
But still not a reason to dismiss/attack a child for speaking her mind and galvanising people where adults have failed.
Tipping points are strange beasts, some can be predicted (when do I need to stop sending my waste to landfill? When landfill costs reach £X). Some come out of the blue. When that happens some people get annoyed or jealous (I've been working in this field for years, saying this exact same thing but no one listened to me!), I say deal with it and don't attack the messenger.

Edited by James Woodcock on 17 December 2019 at 7:25am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Climate change can use a champion. Dismissing a young woman's passion, outrage and advocacy *because* of her youth is ridiculous. It's patriarchal bullshit, honestly, and deserves to be called out.

She's bringing attention to this issue in ways few others have managed to do. It's an important, likely the MOST important crisis facing our species.

Do we need to deride those who are trying their best to do the right thing?

I'm glad she won. We need more people like her.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I dismiss her because she's a special needs child being manipulated by her communist showbiz parents and her leftist donor handlers into pursuing an agenda that is a colossal waste of time.  I think the "sky is falling" predictions that she is espousing are just as inaccurate as the 100s of other "coming doom" predictions that politicians have used for the last 40 years to try to crush individual liberty and increase government power and regulation. 

They move the goal posts every time one of their predictions comes due.  They report on shrinking glaciers, but not when they grow back.  They continually revise historical temperature records to cool the past so it looks like more warming has occurred.  Why is all of this necessary?  Because, as some of them have admitted, it's not about "saving the Earth" it's about redistributing wealth. 

So no, I don't think she deserves anything for this false crises.  No amount of global communism is going to change the behavior of the sun.  All they are doing is keeping the continually coming soon "imminent danger" going so their money tap doesn't turn off. 

Every year another one of their dire predictions fails to come true.  Every month another climate computer model is proven wrong.  This climate change fear mongering is the same as a high priest saying his god is going to smite the village unless they bring him tributes. 

Edited by Jozef Brandt on 17 December 2019 at 3:10pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Every year another temperature record tumbles. Nova Scotia, where I live, saw this week its highest temperature for this time of year ever. Wildfires have wrought unprecedented damage in California, Australia, Western Canada in recent years.

That the oceans hold more CO2 at lower temperatures and less at higher temperatures is objective fact. That CO2 contributes to a greenhouse effective is objective fact. That we have been producing vast quantities of CO2 since the industrial revolution is objective fact. That the world's population is more than twice what it was when I was born, less than 50 years ago, is objective fact.

A runaway greenhouse effect is a real danger. That 7.8 billion people existing at one time contributes to a significant, damaging pollution of our planet is not just easy to believe, but the consensus of the scientific community.

Who is more likely to be motivated by money: the scientific community or big business? Who is more likely to tell the truth even at the cost of profit: the scientific community or big business? Is the message of less consumption really that convenient for the environmental lobby or rather more inconvenient for businesses (and government treasuries) that rely on ever-increasing consumption?

Regardless of Greta Thunberg, or even global warming, the history of unregulated big business shows a danger to public health, from Bhopal to PG&E's contamination of Hinkley. Corporations cannot be trusted to act without regulation. People die.

Finally, all things being equal, isn't it just a good idea to have more efficient and less polluting technology if we can? Isn't that something worth pursuing?

Edited by Peter Martin on 17 December 2019 at 4:41pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

When you get 100 year return period storms happening every five years or so, they cease to be a 100 year return period storm.

When eight of the top 10 highest temperature years have occurred in the last 10 years, you can stop saying ‘when’ the country gets hotter.

When places that did not flood start to flood, you can start to say rainfall patterns are changing.

When ephemeral streams cease to come back, you can say that water levels are dropping.

All of these examples are real. All of these can be witness by people. We don’t need scientists to tell us these things, we experience them. All of them. First hand.

None of these are a leftist, scientist conspiracy. All of them at]re occurring now. & yet we still have people saying ‘When?’
I’ll tell you when. Now.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Those hottest years numbers are cooked.  In addition to cooler temperatures being "Revised" in order to cool the past, to make the present seem warmer, they also use tricks like relying on weather stations in urban heat islands, indicating temperature increases in areas where there is no data at all, and my favorite, eliminating any data that doesn't fit their narrative.  These techniques were made public when emails between climate scientists were leaked. 

C02 is not the climate knob.  The dirty secret from the temperature record is that C02 levels follow temperature, not the other way around.  All higher carbon levels are doing is greening the planet with thriving plant life.  Temperatures fluctuate because of the influence of the sun.  Sunspot activity is heading for a trough. 

The problem with all of this fear mongering is that true environmentalism gets lost in the shuffle and instead of making efficient use of natural resources such as hydro electric power and renewable timber, everything gets turned into a fight.  Sensible limitations of pollution and environmental impact are never enough.  Scaring people into giving away their liberty and their hard earned money for ever-changing goal posts is not the answer. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version