Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Dazzler is Dumb Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

<<her powers are based on music and song. In a print medium.>>

On a slight tangent, I don't like it when writers (comics and novels) include lengthy lyric pieces in the story. I invariably don't know the song and don't have the emotional connection that the author did when they pictured the scene. So, without the music I'm just left reading really bad poetry!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sound is tricky in comics. Of course, we have sound effects (SFX) which are exaggerated caricatures, and really there for illustration rather than literal representation.

Characters like Banshee and Black Bolt manipulate sound as force, with an end result little different from, say, Cyclops or Blastaar. Klaw presents as a kind of sonic Green Lantern.

But those who depend on WORDS unfortunately tend to end up just talking and talking and talking and so on.

In LOST GENERATION I introduced a character, Rumor, whose power was to compel anyone who heard him to believe (and repeat) whatever he said. Fortunately, he was terse.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Dazzler graphic novel was reprinted in the Women of Marvel omnibus some years back. I got a copy of it for pretty cheap at a local convention and did so mainly because that graphic novel was one of the things included in it. Not because I am a Dazzler fan but just out of curiosity as her graphic novel is one that I have never seen out in the wild. 

During the Australia era of the X-Men, Claremont used Dazzler in the book and managed to make her slightly more interesting by having her figure out how to use her powers more effectively in combat. Being able to focus them into a laser blast, for example. That being said, she was still never that interesting a character but in the right hands she has potential.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
The Dazzler graphic novel was reprinted in the Women of Marvel omnibus some years back. I got a copy of it for pretty cheap at a local convention and did so mainly because that graphic novel was one of the things included in it. Not because I am a Dazzler fan but just out of curiosity as her graphic novel is one that I have never seen out in the wild.

I remember reading that book when I was a kid and being totally confused that her love interest was an old, fat, bald guy who was using a toupee, girdle, and dentures to look younger. Apparently the character was a Frank Sinatra stand-in? Because all the kids want to read about an aged Sinatra banging a woman a third of his age?

I started buying X-Men regularly during the Australian era, so I guess I'm OK with Dazzler, as she was a regular character during that time.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I remember reading that book when I was a kid and being totally confused that her love interest was an old, fat, bald guy who was using a toupee, girdle, and dentures to look younger. Apparently the character was a Frank Sinatra stand-in? Because all the kids want to read about an aged Sinatra banging a woman a third of his age?

••

Written by the same guy who demanded the page be redrawn when I had Jen in bed with Wyatt in the SHE-HULK graphic novel. I guess I wasn't treating her in a properly degrading manner.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I prefered the later Silvestri-era combating and blue-clad version...But only slightly...

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Oh wow. I have the Women in Marvel Omnibus and just flicked through that Dazzler GN....that's quite disturbing and I think I'd have felt the same if I'd read it at the time.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2019 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Should have teamed her up with Black Bolt. They could sing their way through the enemy. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2019 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

She did team up with Black Bolt in her series. I forget who they defeated, though.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2019 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was Absorbing Man! I know this because that happens to be the one and only issue of Dazzler I own.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2019 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I did not know that Dazzler teamed with Black Bolt. I've been out of touch with Comics for a while. But it seems like a good pair, all thing considered. 

I never actually knew if Dazzler actually muffled the sound she was converting to light. But if she didn't then it would have ended up like What If #34 - Volume I

Edited by Dale Lerette on 24 December 2019 at 6:54am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version