Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: R.I.P. Michael J. Pollard Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2019 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Michael J. Pollard passes away at age 80.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Goodbye, Jahn.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This somewhat inaccurate description comes from the MeTV site:

Perhaps one of his most iconic roles was on the first-season Star Trek episode "Miri."

"Miri" revolves around a planet where every adult has been brought down by a deadly disease and the children have formed their own community ruled by violence. Pollard plays Jahn, the leader of the children who rules with an iron fist. Star Trek fans will remember the eerily-chanted phrase "bonk, bonk on head," as Jahn urges the children to attack Kirk. It is also interesting to note that this episode was filmed on the Mayberry set.

Reading about the making of that episode a while back, I was surprised to find the director, Vincent McEveety, praising Pollard for his professionalism, always on time, always prepared. Don't judge a book by its cover, I guess!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Besides Star Trek, he was also great in the movies Bonnie & Clyde and Roxanne. 

I wasn't aware he was still acting. According to imdb.com, his last role was in The Woods in 2012, but he's in a movie currently in post-production. But the last thing I recall seeing him was an episode of Ray Bradbury Theater in 1992.

And Michael J Fox took the middle initial J in tribute to him. Michael J Fox's middle name is actually Andy. (I wish that would come up in a trivia contest....)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Michael J. Pollard also played a memorable Mr. Mxyzptlk in two episodes of the SUPERBOY TV series, one of the most screen-accurate live-action villains in Superman's history. He looked very much like the Mego action figure come to life.

Pollard also played "Bugs" Bailey, a surveillance expert, in Warren Beatty's DICK TRACY film. "Bugs" was one of the very few characters in that film allowed to wear a pattern, something the rest of the cast didn't do since the idea was to keep the visuals simple and include no more detail than a cartoonist would naturally draw as part of the regular strip. 

When I was a kid, I disliked Jahn from "Miri" since I hated bullies and the overall severity of that episode, which only means that he played that character very well. I can't think of a role I've seen him in that he didn't play effectively.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Pollard also played "Bugs" Bailey, a surveillance expert, in Warren Beatty's DICK TRACY film. "Bugs" was one of the very few characters in that film allowed to wear a pattern, something the rest of the cast didn't do since the idea was to keep the visuals simple and include no more detail than a cartoonist would naturally draw as part of the regular strip.

•••

Sidebar: One of more ridiculous things about that movie was the way the production designer took the limitations imposed by poor reproduction, and treated them as if they were Chester Gould’s deliberate artistic choices.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sad news.

I have this '60s magazine named Cheetah that has a large cover feature and interview with him. Very talented character actor and interesting human being.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Seems like MIRI would be the first thing that comes to mind when I see him, but no it's BONNIE & CLYDE.

I can here his voice in my head, very distinctive.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2019 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Aww. I really liked him. Even in smalll parts like in Scrooged and Tango and Cash he was always memorable.

Though I never realised he'd played Mr. Mxyzptlk. That would indeed have been good casting. I'll have to seek those episodes out.

R.I.P Mr Pollard..

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2019 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I remember him from the Cyrano inspired "Roxanne" with Steve Martin. I always got a laugh from the boxing gag involving Pollard. He was a very iconic character actor.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version