Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Frustration Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Slowly but surely it seems every TV show I remember from my childhood and teens is arriving on DVD.

One that seems not to be out there, tho, is a 1965 Hallmark Hall of Fame production of INHERIT THE WIND. This was my introduction to the play, here with Ed Begley and Melvyn Douglas in the leads.

Since then, itís become one of my favorite dramas. Not only have I seen no less than five different productions, including one with George C. Scott on Broadway, but I actually played the Henry Drummond/Clarence Darrow character in a staged reading in high school.

But I have not been able to track down a copy of this 1965 TV version. So, all you Baker Street Irregulars, keep an eye out, wouldja? You might wander down alleys unknown to me.

Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah, that's the one they showed us in... I want to say ninth grade?  And it's still the definitive version for me.

Aside: For a while, there was some question as to the actual age of my house.  The town said 1915, but there were plenty of construction elements in it that weren't even around until a bit later.  My current leading theory on the date of construction is summer of 1925, because of a bit of newspaper that I found wadded into the plaster framing.  the headline?  "Scopes Final Plea Calls for Freedom," or words to that effect.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hope you kept it!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Once removed from the wall it basically disintegrated within a couple of months (I REALLY shoulda gotten a mylar sleeve for it, but, well...).  Turns out plaster has some major preservative qualities; during that same demolition, I found blades of grass embedded in the plaster that were still green and pliable!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2019 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hmm, this reminds me of stories I would read or hear about of religious groups buying up rights to things they did not want reshown, that offended them in some way. One example I remember was the Victor Mature & Hedy Lamaar Samson And Delilah movie circa the late '40s. The rights for it were tied up for ages by a southern U.S. based group.

In 1965 there was a story about a school cancelling a production of Inherit The Wind, bringing it back to people's attentions around the time of this production.

Anyway, I have some old contacts in tape trading circles that might know. I'm always happy to find something is in existence I had given up on seeing again (or for the first time). I love anything with Ed Begley Sr.; such a great actor! One reason I keep a working VHS tape machine is so I can watch things like the Rod Steiger Marty that I have in that format.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2019 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Interesting that there are photo stills of it being sold but no actual copies .... I found some Hallmark Hall of Fame stuff that predates 1965 Inherit The Wind .... the last time I had to track down an out of print movie I found it on eBay no luck w this tho nor was it on Amazon, youtube or any torrent site. 

Maybe your best bet would to be ask Scott Adsit maybe he has contacts at NBC because I don't even see any release of any type besides the broadcast ... if it was shown in schools then it would have been released as educational material I know the Ken Burns Civil War was released to schools in this manner

Sorry sir good luck w the hunt 

Edited by John Harrison on 23 November 2019 at 4:07pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I found it on a (possibly German/Swiss/French based) website for  watching (with registration?) but it might depend on your system or location whether either will actually work... I haven't registered to try.

https://de.fulltv.tv/hallmark-hall-of-fame-inherit-the-wind. html

https://de.fulltv.tv/filmdistribution-33967.html

Maybe someone who can could actually download and make a DVD-R? It looks like it was recorded from HBO or Hallmark channel HD according to the notes.

Lots of old timey tape traders have the Hallmark Hall Of Fame A Christmas Carol for 1964 for some reason.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 23 November 2019 at 2:00pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version