Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Best TOS Star Trek comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2019 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What rank as the best Star Trek comics based on the original crew ever published, title and if you want issue numbers?

I grew up having some of the Gold Keys (or the Golden Press Log Book reprints). I read only issue one of the Marvel disco-era first movie so I don't know much about it, I think I just didn't happen to find issue two. I did buy the first few of the DC classic line-up title more based on the second and third movie, and while I did like it it didn't keep me too long, maybe to #5 or 6. Then I have nothing until IDW and I just had to try Assignment: Earth and ended up getting all those!

So now I'm looking for a new fix... The Romulans IDW also put out? I can't say I'm a huge fan of that species however. Or how about, I know this isn't technically TOS, but it's the most closely connected: The Early Voyages comic Marvel ran circa 1996-98? Save my money, try the first one at least, or another later issue of the run? Hey, Captain Pike is cool... how bad could it have been? Or other classic Trek titles I know nothing about, or might not discern subtleties of titling involved, like a mini-series? For someone who liked the better '60s seasons (one and two) what has that flavor only in comic form? I think some of them suffer from art trying to look like the actors too much, which is why I liked Assignment: Earth, and in a way the Gold Key ones... we didn't have to see every dimple or blemish unique to Teri Garr or James Doohan! I found with some later Doctor Who comics where most panels they have recorded every photo-realistic detail of Peter Davison's face, or whoever else, rather distracting from enjoying and buying into the story.

I don't really have anaswer to my own question.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sidebar: Sometimes using photo reference can become a trap, even an addiction. I recall one painter I knew, who did a lot of paperback covers. He used a mutual friend as the model on one of them. Now, the model had a rather prominent wart on his nose, and the painter included it!
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I followed the various DC series from 1984 to 1996. From memory, I found the better issues being the ones that led up to (or directly came after) a theatrical release. The Mirror Universe storyline that came out after Star Trek III's release seems to be well regarded.
I should really dig out those series for a re-read.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB's NEW VISIONS and FRONTIER DOCTOR are my favorite TOS
cast comics - they both capture the TOS characters better
than any comic or novel I have read.

Beyond the core cast, THE HOLLOW CROWN is one of the best
stories JB did for IDW.

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I followed the various DC series from 1984 to 1996. From memory, I found the better issues being the ones that led up to (or directly came after) a theatrical release. The Mirror Universe storyline that came out after Star Trek III's release seems to be well regarded.
I should really dig out those series for a re-read.

--------------------------------

I re-read the Mirror Universe storyline a year or two back and thought it held up very well.

I'll always have a fondness for that first DC Star Trek series because it's the only time to date I've gotten my name into a comic book (letter column of issue #25).

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wow! Star Trek: Frontier Doctor... I had the idea this was something to do with an older tv show (the one with Rex Allen). I should've looked into it as it does look from the covers to be a lot of (aliens) fun!

I'll try to figure out what DC Star Treks I might check into, like the mirror universe... as much as I do like Tom Sutton art (especially when he draws rats) I found Star Trek by him a bit hard to warm up to, once the Perez covers ran out I guess is when I stopped getting it. It looks like the mirror characters storyline begins with #9.

I saw the ad for the Mirror Images IDW book in other iDW comics (with the two Spocks) but hadn't heard of any of the creators.

Speaking of Tom Sutton I had his and Doug Moench's old '70s Seeker 3000 and when I found out there was a mini-series update on it in 1998 I got all four of those and they are next up after the Busiek & Perez Ultron vs. The Avengers issues from around that same time.

The Charlton Space: 1999 comic was pretty decent by Joe Staton and then JB. I think maybe for the magazine they also did, Gray Morrow was a bit too into that showing every blemish from the publicity stills at times. Some of the British artists (not Mike Noble though) were more lightbox appendages, and there's little flow to the comic pages, kind of like today where every page has some pin-up posing character dominating it, plus if they are overly-detailed and other aspects aren't, there's a lack of balance there. Fine on book covers and video art however.

So plotting a course for Star Trek #9 and Frontier Doctor next... still not sure about Early Voyages, maybe I can try #1, one seller seems to have a box full of just that issue.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 21 November 2019 at 12:34pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2019 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Gold Key stuff is fun, but pretty severely off-model.

I have a great fondness for the early DC stuff, which is set post-TWOK. 

EARLY VOYAGES is also fun, although the art is very 90s. The entire series, as well as others (like the post-TMP Marvel run) were reprinted by IDW in handy omnibus editions, some years back. The trades are cheap and slightly undersized. Very handy for dipping oneís toe into different runs and miniseries.

And, of course, you canít go wrong with anything by one Mr. John Byrne. By far the best TREK comics Iíve ever read. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2019 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm definitely going to check out Star Trek: Frontier Doctor, and some of the post TWOK DC issues (maybe in collected form) I didn't get to. Maybe there will be a classic Tom Sutton rat snuck in there.

I have known about the New Visions project, I should at least dip a toe in somewhere on that, but there is that fear of 'oh no... now I have to get all 20+ issues of this'! I could try New Visions Special: The Cage, and then again, maybe the collected editions...

I will skip that Early Voyages as much as I am fascinated by the Capt. Pike Enterprise... I seem to be quite allergic to much '90s stylization. Is Pike going to have a Hulk-sized physique and Yeoman Colt and Number One giant helium boobs and broken spines? Everyone posing, grimacing and pouting? No feet drawn, giant guns appearing out of nowhere? Maybe I'd better not risk boldly going there. :^D

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2019 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I could try New Visions Special: The Cage, and then again, maybe the collected editions...
++++++++

My one caveat about the special is that itís a straightforward photomontage adaptation of the pilot episode, and is therefore not an original story. Getting brand-new and authentic TOS stories is what makes NEW VISIONS so fantastic!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB's drawn stories make an excellent trade paperback.
JB's New Visions make a just as excellent photo novel series

Beyond that, the only time I liked Star Trek comics was the first set of DC's issues. As mentioned above, the Mirror universe stories were very enjoyable.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I will add my voice to the growing chorus of approval for DC's early ST series. Issues 1-8 cover the period between TWOK and TSFS and as such are something more or less unseen anywhere else: TOS done without Spock. Issues 7 and 8 bring him back in flashback as we examine Saavik's origin, but even there, he is defined more by his absence than his presence. 

Issue 9 kicks off the series after TSFS and does a tricky sort of dance telling stories each month in the period between two movies without an on-screen gap. The Mirror Universe story is well-done and carries us through to issue 15, with 16 as a postscript. From there to issue 36 or so, DC's series tells stories that have to effectively fit where no story was intended by the screenwriters to go. I appreciated the effort myself and found it successful in what it set out to do. 

The book tells flashbacks and such until Peter David's arrival with issue 48 wherein the DC original crew members (Konom, Bearclaw, et al) receive more attention and a murder mystery is investigated. 

After the series concludes, David went on to write a new ST series for DC which, for a number of reasons, did not work as well for me. While I enjoyed the photo-reference heavy covers by J.K. Moore, the rest of the art didn't appeal and with David doing most if not all the writing, the comic-book unpredictability and done-in-one nature of the previous series was lost. Still, many find this iteration of Trek to be one of their favorites and the "Trial of James T. Kirk" storyline was enjoyable, with Peter David-style cameos from a number of characters from the show appearing to testify. 

Of special note from that earlier DC series are issues 24, 25, and 28 written by Trek novelist Diane Duane. In 24 and 25, the Enterprise encounters representatives of two species of terrifying reputation and in 28, McCoy reflects upon that period when he hosted Spock's katra. The art in 28 is beautifully done by Gray Morrow who returns for issue 56 as well. Worth getting just to look at.

Annuals 2 and 3 are similar as they are done by Curt Swan and convey a sense of character and emotion far above the norm. Annual 2 looks at Kirk's academy years far, far, far (ad infinitum) more effectively than the Abrams garbage film of 2009. Annual 3 reveals a wife for Scotty that we never knew he had. 

Also recommended: Issue 33 in which the TOS crew find themselves thrown into the Movie Era and meet their future selves. 

Many find things to love in the DC graphic novel Debt of Honor by Claremont and Adam Hughes, but I cannot endure the Claremont cliches piling on with the men all standing aghast at the sheer female power of the Greatest Romulan Woman Warrior Ever Ever Ever and the ways in which she is Kirk's Equal and More, her heart that of a warrior-born, her power a song within her, yadda yadda yadda... Your opinion may differ as I am simply burned out Claremont's particular style of writing and chosen themes (both of them.) 

Gold Key's lack of fidelity to TOS is widely reported and yes, while it can be a bit much seeing Spock bash his head against pillars to drive out ghosts or battling mummies, there is an undeniable charm to many of those stories. Later issues did much to atone for the sins of issues past with on-model art by Al McWilliams especially. The stories were still outrageous at times (with Spock becoming a primitive planet's Wotam, his head grown to three times its normal size being a stand-out example. Although, these days, he just looks like a standard-issue Funko Pop...) but Gold Key Trek remains an off-beat joy, taken in the right spirit. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 26 November 2019 at 10:18am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2019 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thanks all for the great information! I remember something about the first Gold Key artist(s) being in Italy and possibly not seeing even one episode of the program for quite awhile while doing the comics. The issue I most vividly remember involved fishbowl helmets and striped shirts, with pirate style accessories. Could Kirk or Spock have had one big loop earring in that issue? :^)

"the Greatest Romulan Woman Warrior Ever Ever Ever"

Tell me she wasn't Kirk's or another crew-member's daughter from an alternate future time-line! :^D

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version