Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Julia Roberts as Harriet Tubman Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Nick Fury in the MCU wasn’t a WW2 veteran. He’s much younger than that. He didn’t serve alongside Captain America during the war. He didn’t lead the Howling Commandos. He appears to have been born some time in the 60’s (probably in his early to mid 50’s as he is portrayed in the movies).

In the MCU there is no reason Nick Fury could NOT be black.

Nick Fury in the MCU isn’t a ‘race swap’. He’s a whole new character named ‘Nick Fury’.

Then why not just either use an existing or create a brand new original heroic Black secret agent/soldier character to use in the films. As a fan who also happens to Black, I know of several existing heroic Black secret agent/soldier characters that Marvel could have used instead of race swapping Nick Fury in both the Ultimate comics and in the MCU. And most of those Black characters (IMO) are a hell of a lot more cooler and interesting then Nick Fury (two of whom, have already appeared in two Marvel movies). So instead of ignoring and only using those lesser known Black characters whenever they need a character to be killed off, Marvel should actually use those characters in more major roles in the comics,films,and TV series as either major supporting characters or as lead characters in team books.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Race swapping accomplishes two things: it “creates” a character with an established place in the mythos, and it stirs up interest (controversy). Both of which serve the cash register.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One is one of the reasons I could not enjoy what I saw of Doctor Strange; another was the race swapping of Baron Mordo.  

Nick Fury will always be the early Marvel version of Fury to me.  I don't know who the Samuel Jackson character is.  

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One is one of the reasons I could not enjoy what I saw of Doctor Strange; another was the race swapping of Baron Mordo.

Same with me. Heck, it's the main reason why I didn't go see the movie in the theater.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version