Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Julia Roberts as Harriet Tubman Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

But as a concept, I cannot wrap my head around how it is accepted in a world where Samuel L Jackson can get away with complaining that an actor shouldn’t just be black but should be American as well (Get Out)

-----

What did Samuel L Jackson get away with? He had an opinion. Jordan Peele and Daniel Kaluuya disagreed. The world kept on spinning.
Back to Top profile | search

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hamilton is not difficult to get. Lyn Manuel Miranda learned that Alexander Hamilton was born on an island in the Caribbean, then immigrated to the US as a boy. Miranda saw an obvious parallel to his own story, and produced a show that literalized this.

For the Tubman/Roberts issue to be comparable, someone would have to be arguing that Julia Roberts somehow believes her own life story parallels Tubman's in some way. I have certainly never heard her make this claim.

Roberts playing Tubman seems obviously stupid on the face of it, but ten years ago, the suggestion of a Puerto Rican starring in a hip-hop bio-opera of the first Treasury Secretary sounded equally preposterous. The only reason Hamilton works is because it's brilliant. The fact that I can't imagine a brilliant version of Tubman's story involving Roberts is indicative of nothing more than a lack of imagination on my part.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I can totally imagine a version of Tubman's story along the lines of Todd Haynes's I'M NOT THERE, in which six actors played Bob Dylan.

Hamilton is about as offensive to me as an inner city high school production of 1776 (or the New York City Center's multi-ethnic production of the musical which debuted in 2016 to capitalize on Hamilton's success). Which is to say, not at all. America's founding belongs to everyone. (The same goes for Shakespeare.)

Edited by David Miller on 21 November 2019 at 9:43pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Changing the color of history does great disservice to the people who actually lived thru it. To people who were not White, and were treated as third and fourth class citizens—those who were not treated as property, and therefore not citizens at all.

Changing the color of history paints the Past as BETTER than it was, and writes over the struggles of those who fought—and are still fighting—to make their lives ACTUALLY better.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I sure wouldn't want to be the guy who tells a bunch of inner city kids they're not allowed to participate in a production of 1776 or Hamlet because of their race. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Seven minutes to completely miss the point. A new record.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Not really.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And, btw, America’s founding belongs to everyone? Have you even seen 1776 or taken the trouble to read an actual history of those events? Do so, and you might notice the ancestors of those “inner city kids” were specifically denied any part in that founding, or even citizenship in the newborn Nation.

Hardly something those “kids” should be wanting to celebrate.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2019 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The major part of why "1776" remains for me, after fifty years, a good work is that -- despite historical inaccuracies -- it owns up to the Founders' failings: "...what would posterity think we were? Demi-gods? We're men, no more no less, trying to get a nation started against greater odds than a more generous God would have allowed." As this tiny group of White aristocrats debate the fate of their slaves, it is the stunning absence of a single Black person then and in any other part of the movie that makes those scenes the most horrible.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 November 2019 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Unfortunately, posterity HAS come to think of them as demi-gods, especially in regards the Second Amendment.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2019 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

...and the Electoral College!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 November 2019 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It should be noted that HAMILTON suffers from an even less “warts and all” portrayal of its characters—as mentioned, the main charm of 1776. Miranda has been chided by Black scholars for his cleaning up of his title character and apparent avatar, a man who was an abolitionist in public, but the opposite when it came to his personal finances.

Where’s THAT song?

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version