Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: THE IRISHMAN (I HEARD YOU PAINT HOUSES) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2019 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just finished watching the movie at the Belasco Theater on Broadway, the first movie to play there in its 112-year history. (I'm typing this on my bus ride home).

I'm adding the movie's original title to my subject since the movie itself uses that in its title card instead of "The Irishman", and frankly it's such a better name. It's also the title of the book that the movie is based on.

I won't spoil anything since it has a very limited release, and won't be available on Netflix until 11/27 . It's ironic that the only movie that I wanted to see in a theater this year was one that isn't generally available in one. 2 weeks after the limited release began, the theater was still backed.

Just wanted to say that it's simply excellent - definite Oscar material. I was surprised that my biggest draw in seeing this was to see Joe Pesci come out of retirement. Between him, DeNiro, and Pacino, they all gave some of their best performances in years.

The de-aging CGI was not as distracting as I thought it would be. I think the weirdest thing was seeing brown-haired DeNiro with blue eyes - to match the character that he was playing.

The 3.5 hour movie length may scare off some people, but all I can say is that not a single person got up throughout. Also, it's nowhere near as violent as you might expect from Scorsese.

I'm looking forward to watching it again on the 27th!
Back to Top profile | search

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2019 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I went down a Jimmy Hoffa rabbit hole many years ago.  I read the book which has an interesting ending.  The book itself is mostly third hand stories but give you an interesting glimpse into The Teamsters as a whole and the good and often bad they did for the working people more than say who killed Hoffa are here's another Hoffa bio.  Hoffa as a person is fucking fascinating fearless to the end.  Fun fact about Hoffa himself never drove a truck. 

I'm curious about this film but Pacino as Hoffa idk Nicholson's performance is so good it's gonna hard to get past it.  No way I can sit in a theater 3.5 hours for a movie.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 November 2019 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

No movie needs to be 3 and a half hours long.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2019 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I thought it was great. This was less of a gangster movie than a film about friendship, and it was a pleasure to spend so much time with Pacino and DeNiro enjoying each otherís company. I thought Scorsese was smart to only de-age DeNiro from old as hell to just plain old, but Iíve been assured he was supposed to have been in his twenties at a few points, so who knows. I didnít really feel the run time until the very end; I was expecting 3 hours, meaning 2 hours 50 minutes with credits, and paced my drink intake accordingly, so that last half hour was kind of uncomfortable. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA clocks in at 3 hours and 48 minutes and it's amazing.  Personally, I don't judge a film based on it's runtime.  Some deserve the time, others do not.  In other words, I determine it on a case by case basis and not across the board.  

RE: THE IRISHMAN specifically, everything I've heard is mixed at best.  It's a film that feels long and overwrought, a case where a studio would have requested a trimming and that would have actually made it more focused.  I've also heard that as good as the de-aging technique is on a facial basis, the bodies still feel aged. Retro young faces but aged bodies.  Jimmy Hoffa "disappeared" when he was 62.  Al Pacino is 79.  That's not an insignificant age difference.  

In the end, I'm glad I will eventually be able to watch it on Netflix instead of paying for a ticket.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Sweeping panoramas." These are what I look for when I am "editing" long movies as I watch them. BRAVEHEART, APOCALYPSE NOW, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA... so many films that take up screen time with long shots of people and places that really add nothing to the story.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Personally I just can't sit that long in any type of chair for three plus hours w my bad back watching films at home has spoiled me to the pause get up walk around come back later 

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Watched this yesterday.  Best film of the year for me. 

Edited by Benny Hasa on 17 November 2019 at 11:29am

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Today is the day. Whoís watching? 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Iím watching it at this very moment.....and Iím doing laundry.  Solid so far. 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I made sure to see it on the big screen.  For a movie that long, it moved very quickly.  Nothing about the de-aging process brought me out of the movie.  I will probably re-watch at home now, but I'm really glad I saw it in a theater. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just watched it, went by like a breeze.

For the first two and a half hours is business as usual from Scorsese (which is obviously great) but then the film takes a turn to something completely different, sad and beautiful at the same time.

The gangster film to end all gangster films. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version