Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sweet. Thanks, Matt. 
Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2019 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was expecting it to be terrible, but it was Ok! Definitely got better towards the latter half; the first half was hard to swallow. Firstly because the de-aging CGI is more noticeable, for me anyway. All the little tell-tale signs of CGI: lip sync slightly off, heads moving unnaturally, almost "floaty", wrinkles, lines, moles etc. look like they're painted on, etc.

Also, the movie starts off being almost a cliche of the mafia genre, and what makes it worse is that it feels like a cross between a cameo-fest and a cast reunion from all of Scorcese's previous gangster films. Really took me out of the movie when the annoying babysitter from Goodfellas shows up as Hoffa's wife for example. She actually looks very close to the real Josephine Hoffa, but that didn't stop me from wanting to yell "I told you to use an outside line!" at her

Ending was much better. Largely because De Niro can really play the type of character he winds up playing. But Al Pacino, a tremendously versatile actor in the 70s, a man who could convincingly play a junkie, a gay bank robber, a beatnik cop, or a law student turned Mafia don, now just plays an over-the-top version of Al Pacino in every role. If you see the movie, compare Pacino's Hoffa with the real thing.

Still, it was fun to watch, and about as good as modern films are going to get in my opinion.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2019 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I will admit that Jack Nicholson was a much better fit for Hoffa than Pacino was. But it was great to see him perform the one scene with Pesci for the first and possibly only time ever.

It almost makes up for THIS. Almost.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 30 November 2019 at 1:12pm

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2019 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I saw it the other day.   Pacino as Hoffa didn't work.  Hoffa comes off as a man child slouching eating ice cream having fits scared to sleep alone.  

If your gonna make a movie about the guy who claims (and his claims were dismissed long ago) that he killed Hoffa you should at least get Hoffa on model.    

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2019 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks for that video Vinny, I'm sharing that! Pretty much conclusive evidence that God doesn't exist.

Bob Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2019 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've read that Liotta was campaigning for a role. He would have been a very good choice for Hoffa, I think. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I watched it with my fiancee and her mom last night, and they surprisingly did not ask to take a break or anything - they both commented that the movie did not feel that long.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

After seeing THE IRISHMAN at a movie theatre in November, I enjoyed a re-watch on a flight this weekend. I found it even more compelling. Being prepared for the pacing helped a lot, as did being able to pause the film for a couple bathroom breaks. 

I got a kick out of Pacino's Hoffa voice. 

The narrative captions were frickin hilarious. 

I've read a lot of criticisms of Anna Panquin's role, but I thought her adult character's reduction to eight words of dialogue effectively conveyed the immersion into Sheeran's point of view. Her character's friendship with Hoffa was adorable, and a nice counterpoint to her father's. There have been plenty of moments in Scorsese movies where family expressed shock, horror, hurt and betrayal, but never with such quietude and finality. 

The conclusion bookended nicely with RAGING BULL, without the comfort of a later-life third act. The semi-tedium of the last twenty or so minutes, which was less so on the re-watch because I knew it was coming, really drove home Sheeran's loneliness and guilt, self-inflicted by self-deception. It reminded me of Clint Eastwood's character in MILLION DOLLAR BABY, who attended church daily, fruitlessly seeking penance for sins he couldn't confess. 

I wasn't distracted by the waxiness of the digital youthification, at least not on my iPad. That said, at no point did anybody look like they were in their twenties or thirties. I read that Pacino was supposed to look 39 in his first scene. Uh, no. 

It'll probably be a while before I make time for another viewing, though -- seven hours plus drive time is a lot to dedicate to a film I didn't work on, and anyway I still haven't seen THE AGE OF INNOCENCE or KUNDUN. 

Edited by David Miller on 02 December 2019 at 1:36pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version