Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Differences between USA and Canada Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I like gravy on fries, but then I also like ‘em doused in white vinegar. That’s the vestigial Brit in me.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Never have tried them with white vinegar, but fries are pretty good with malt vinegar. (Though I only use that if I'm having fish and fries.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

We get the local CBC channel in these parts (CBET), but other than Hockey don't watch much on it since the advent of cable and it's offspring.
I used to enjoy Elwy Yost  and his movies thru a channel farther down the dial.

I like poutine okay, but I don't search it out.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I understand that the one time a lot of Americans tune into Canadian TV Stations is during the Olympics. The US coverage tends to overflow with patriotism, to the point that if there is no American in medal contention, then that event rarely gets televised. But Canada figures if it's the Gold Medal round for middle weight boxing, people should see that, regardless of who is in the competition.

Interesting to hear about subtle differences in pronunciation for words like Project. I understand that there is a day long course Canadian actors can take to teach them how to conceal all such hints of their upbringing.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Peter H. - I am one of those Americans. I would watch the American Olympic broadcast - very American-centric, as might be expected. I'd also watch the Canadian broadcast to see all the sports and competitors, and did indeed get to see some events I normally wouldn't.

However, I never had the staying power to watch school figures. Exquisite talent and literally measured on a razor's edge. But if you've seen one, you've literally seen them all, as far as the activity is concerned. No real surprise that it was removed.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Though my ears have never really picked up on it, Mike Myers did a thing on SNL once suggesting Canadians pronounce the middle vowel in 'sorry' more like the British, whereas American say it more like 'sarry' (it's hard to communicate these things in writing).

That skit also made mention of Bonhomme de neige as if it was a big Canadian thing. To me that seems more a Quebec thing than a Canada-wide thing, though.

Since poutine has been mentioned many times, let's run through some other culinary things relating to Canada. Obviously maple syrup. Kraft Dinner is insanely popular in Canada. Though it originates from the US (being Kraft and all), it's pretty much part of the national cultural make-up of Canada.

Drinks-wise, if there is a national cocktail of Canada, it is the Caesar. This is like a bloody mary, except with Clamato juice instead of tomato juice (Clamato juice is a weird frankensteinian mix of clam broth and tomato juice. For autheticity, use Mott's Clamato juice. Mott's is American; go figure).

I've mentioned this Nova Scotian 'delight' before: the Donair. It's like a doner kebab, but with beef and weird sweet sauce. The sauce is so popular that if you order a pizza here, they will inevitably include numerous portions of donair sauce with it.

We also have dulse here. A type of seaweed...that you eat dried like crisps (potato chips).

Edited by Peter Martin on 18 November 2019 at 6:53pm

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Beaver Tails are a fixture at any outdoor winter carnival. It is a small dish sized piece of dough, deep fried, and covered in sugar.

Ice Wine is a dessert drink that can only be made in Niagara and Germany.   White grapes are left on the branch until the first deep frost, which creates ultra high sugar levels.  The wine is then fermented as usual, and the result is a very sweet white wine, very expensive, usually paired with a sweet pastry dessert.   The Chinese love ice wine so much that more "Niagara ice wine" is sold in China each year than is actually made in Niagara.  This is the result of counterfeiters rebottling ordinary Reisling wine, adding sugar, and then slapping on fake Niagara labels.  Please try the real thing if you ever visit.   

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Why are there green peas on those fries?

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

https://youtu.be/jyO1ILQAGsU

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I was in a taxi in Shanghai years ago and the taxi driver asked us where we were from. I told him Canada and he smiled and said "Canada! Very good!". The next person also said Canada and received a similar reply. The third person said United States but all she got was a grunt and the taxi driver ended the conversation. 

International reputation is quite different between Canadians and Americans. Many a Canadian has met an American tourist with a Maple Leaf on their backpack. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 November 2019 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

T'is true, one does not hear about "the Ugly Canadian".

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2019 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"I like gravy on fries, but then I also like ‘em doused in white vinegar. That’s the vestigial Brit in me."

--

I took a trip to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls* in July, and they served fries with white vinegar. That day I discovered my new favorite thing (once I added a dash of salt, at least). I have loved salt and vinegar chips for years, but for some dumb reason it never occurred to me to apply both to fries.

*It's practically across the street from New York, so I took this to be simply a touristy gesture. We were at the Hershey shop (shoppe?) that was right at the other end of the Peace Bridge and the cashier said "aboot", and since I heard it just 5 minutes after walking across the bridge from New York, and I wondered - does the accent really kick in so quickly? Of course I have no idea how far away the lady lived from there.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 19 November 2019 at 7:59am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version