Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Differences between USA and Canada Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2019 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Canadians read a lot, including comics...a very high literacy rate (if we don't include Calgary Sun subscribers and Don Cherry fans).

You've got to have peas or it's not a proper meal. It's like that John Lennon song, Give Peas A Chance... he was just trying to educate Yoko that if you don't have the mushy peas with your fish n' chips "it's not a proper meal".

Canadians are sadistically brutal monsters under a polite law-abiding exterior, just waiting to be unleashed by insults directed at: A) The Queen, B) her corgis, C) annual Terry Fox runs, D) Hawkins Cheezies, or E) ice hockey. Beware of them, Wolverine was not a one-off!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 November 2019 at 10:28pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And here in Alberta, we call them "lines" not "queues".
-----------------------------
Queues is a British thing. I'm British. I just live in Canada. I said queues because I speak my language. I put lines in parentheses because I know a lot of people here are from North America.
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Chips (Fries) deep fried in beef dripping, with
sprinkling of salt and malt vinegar...food of the gods!
Mushy peas on the side, even better!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I only recently discovered mushy peas. There’s a new restaurant in Fairfield, “Gruel Britannia”, specializing in British cuisine. They serve them with their fish and chips. Mixed with mint sauce, I think.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

My god, that sounds terrible. Peas and mint?!?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Is KD just the mac 'n' cheese, or does it have other stuff with it?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

What's gross, pea-wise, is wasabi covered peas. Its a Japanese snack. Green peas with a hard wasabi coating. I bought a can once out of curiosity (I do like wasabi). Ate two handfuls, then tossed the can after it sat on a shelf for about two weeks.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Minted peas are a bit "Gastro Pub"
Mushy peas are fine as they are!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Mushy peas took me a while to appreciate, but they are good. Peas with mint is something we used to do in my house when I was growing up. Wasabi peas I find... moreish is the word, I think. I have one, think: mmmm, not so sure. But then find it leads to another. And another.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have seen (and tasted one) some chubby green pea pod chips from Asia, and they aren't real but simulated dry pods. So I guess they like their peas there too! I used to like the flat snow peas in the mixed veg stir-fry (or chop suey), though not as much as the bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Now I have to watch my potassium levels so peas (and bananas) are out.

I have had Chinese restaurant fare in various parts of Canada and the U.S. and each area seems to have very different ideas of chow mein and foo yung. Canadian chow mein is bean sprouts and thin noodles and in the U.S. it's anything from short flat noodles to lumpy handmade to spaghetti basically (I couldn't tell any difference other than the sauce). Foo yung in Canada is a fluffy flat omelet with bean sprouts and mushrooms, in the U.S. a chunky patty with gravy on top. I like all of it anyway, so it's not a complaint. Alberta Chinese food is different from in B.C., more like the U.S. but they have tiny corncobs in the chop suey, while Ontario was much like B.C.

We always had brown sauce (HP or A1) and malt vinegar on the table, and my Yorkshire grandfather always liked a plate of sliced bread with a dish of butter with dins. You would wipe your plate with it at the end. They (my grandparents) always served tea after with desert if there was one. My grandmother worked at a fish n' chip shop, but retired from that when I was still fairly young, but I remember getting battered halibut and chips fresh out of the fryer at the counter there that have never been equalled. In the U.S. they seem to do a breaded fish, not battered where they call it fish n' chips. I also remember spending nickels and dimes on just chips wrapped in newspaper for lunch, or fresh sausage rolls at the bakery further down the street where I worked. Can't find a good sausage roll anymore, can't find fresh crumpets either i used to like, so Canada is getting less and less British I guess (replaced by some kind of mania for Thai and Vietnamese while I far prefer the Indonesian that never seems to survive).

Canada, what is it... it's what it's not, not the U.S.A. above all else i think. That is our main definition... not the U.S., we are the loyalists, we pay our taxes, we wait in the lines/queues (we always queued up in Victoria, but it's overly Brit with portraits of her Majesty and Royal this and Royal that (parks, museums, banks, theaters). Proudly not 'those' people, but often extremely insecure about that exact same thing. Trapped between two spellings, wondering why Australia gets away with something we're afraid to even suggest... :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 21 November 2019 at 1:03pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2019 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I've thought of a good one! The (sort of) metric system! In Canada, cars have their speedometers in kph. The speed limits are in kph. People talk about their weight in lbs, though, just like the US (in the UK, people tend to talk about their weight in stones... I think continental Europe has it right, using kg).

Also, going back to the French language. You buy anything in Canada, it comes with half the pack in English, half the pack in French. I've come to refer to some products in their French names. Philadelphia fouetté! Lays Ondulés!

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Congratulations, Canadians! Your country will play its first ever Davis Cup final after beating Russia in the semi finals.

It won't be easy to win the title, though, as you will have to defeat Spain or Great Britain in the final on Monday. It will probably be Spain, playing at home.

As a Spaniard, I hope Canada wins, I prefer the way they handle their territorial issues (referendum Vs. political repression) and also like the things I've learned in this topic this week.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version