Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: TV Shows the US "Stole" from the UK Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2019 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The UK remade MARRIED WITH CHILDREN and THIS IS YOYR LIFE.

Of course, none of these programs on either side were stolen. The rights were bought and acknowledged .

About the two most often mentioned programs that were adapted from the UK to American television,  STEPTOE AND SON and TO DEATH DO IS PART: I have watched both versions in both instances,  a d while the basic premise is naturally the same, the shows in question are very different in execution (especially with STEPTOE and SANFORD AND SON).

Besides the premise of a salty old man living with his adult son and running a junk business, there's really a world of difference. STEPTOE is about Harold as much as Albert, where in SANFORD, it's clearly Redd Foxx's show. And all the crazy supporting cast fans of SANFORD know, Bubba, Grady, Julio, Dianne, the cops, and Aunt Ester... NONE of them have a counterpart in the British version. In fact, STEPTOE really didn't have a recurring supporting cast.

ALL IN THE FAMILY had some notable differences,  too, and dealt with a number of social issues beyond racism. Archie was more sympathetic,  his racism being more due to his environment and ignorance,  and Edith was definitely a different character than Else. 

In the case of SANFORD vs STEPTOE,  having watched the entire run of both series, I like them equally,  but differently.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2019 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Reggie" Starring Richard Mulligan was a rip of "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin".  It did not last long at all.

The brilliant Steven Moffat written "Coupling" was also attempted in the US and failed quickly.  Many watchers just thought it was just a rip of "Friends".

People seem to forget that "Man about the House" eventually returned as "Robin's Nest" and John Ritter followed that with the Jack Tripper rip of "Three's a Crowd".
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2019 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The UK remade MARRIED WITH CHILDREN and THIS IS YOYR LIFE.
-----------------------------
Ahh, turnabout! There's also Family Feud remade in the UK as Family Fortunes. A brilliant format, but the US has the misfortune of Steve Harvey.

Which has nudged my mind to produce Dancing With the Stars, a US face-lift of Strictly Come Dancing (they even have/had some of the same judges; don't know how Bruno does it /how Len did it). 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2019 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One thing I am glad American television didn't adapt:

Gah! That lasted all the way into the late 1970s??

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

COUPLING was the UK's version of FRIENDS which was, ironically, turned into a US series called...COUPLING.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Peter Martin wrote:
There's also Family Feud remade in the UK as Family Fortunes. A brilliant format, but the US has the misfortune of Steve Harvey.

But for an American of a specific generation, it's Richard Dawson not Steve Harvey.  Dawson was iconic.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And Dawson was British, so it all comes around. :-)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Richard Dawson was British?!?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Richard Dawson story:

He appeared on an episode of THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW, and talked about his early days getting into the Biz. He was a skilling impressionist, so for one audition he decided to show this by doing a one-man version of a scene from THE MALTESE FALCON.

He did this, doing Bogart and Greenstreet and Laurie, etc. When he finished there was a long moment of silence. Then the casting director, sitting out in the empty theater, leaned forward and asked "You man, has there ever been any insanity in your family?"

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Speaking of Family Feud/Fortunes, if you want a laugh, this cannot fail. I give you the Great British Public: LINK

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:
..Richard Dawson was British?!?...

Yep, he was born in England and moved to the U.S. as an adult.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2019 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That '70s Show got remade in England as Days Like These. Kind of a surreal moment as I was on a trip at the time and channel surfing and came across the show and was struck by the similarity, then realized it was the same show. Apparently, like Coupling some episodes were just lightly re-written for the different audience. Yet some versions of episodes aired first in England. The episode I was watching was not one I had seen over here. But a couple weeks after I got back, the American version aired.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version