Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Cast changing (break a leg???) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Uh-oh. Something happened to the Marvel movies. We got films from an alternate reality where the casting went ENTIRELY differently!

It's up to YOU to fix it. We've looked at this with casting from past eras. But I want to know - cast the Avengers, the FF, X-Men, etc. with stark new casts. And no cross casting; you can't say "I want to use Chris Evans in the Avengers, even though he was in Fantastic Four.*"

How 'bout it? Pick one character, pick a dozen, recast "Endgame" (but you better have your aspirin around. :D)
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Super-Hero films have been such an enduring genre for so long that at this point it's difficult to come up with performers who haven't already had parts in them. I was looking through a list of stars from 2018 and seeing who might even be available. Tom Cruise as Tony Stark. Matt Smith as Reed Richards. Karen Gillan as... Nope. Morena Baccarin as... nope. Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, Zendaya... nope, nope, nope. Carla Gugino! Hey, now we're talking! As... nope. Jessica Chastain as... who? Pepper Potts? Medusa? How about Jean Grey? I don't think Jean lived long enough however... Frances McDormand! There we go. We can cast Frances McDormand as... who? Aunt May? Screw that. Agatha Harkness? Who is a dynamic, substantial older woman in the Marvel Universe, cinematic or otherwise? A gender-blind Nick Fury, maybe? The Contessa? Nicolas Cage as... nope. Rob Lowe as... nope. Ellen Page as... nope. James McAvoy as... nope. Michael Fassbender as... nope. Rosario Dawson as... nope. Rainn Wilson as... nope. Michael Cera as... nope. Ryan Reynolds as... nope. 

Yeah. This game is blast...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

For me, the one huge missed opportunity with the MCU was Jon Favreau's first choice for Black Widow, Emily Blunt. I'd go with her.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2019 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have two that immediately came to mind after reading the set up.

When Doctor Strange was first announced I was hoping Joseph Fiennes might be in consideration. Not based on any particular physicality. I just thought he had the chops based on his work in other roles. There's a certain intensity there that would have worked. No complaints against Cumberbatch. But I do think there were other actors that could have nailed the role.

My second one is for Hawkeye. Jeremy Renner has done a decent job in the role but based on his range and choices of roles Ryan Gosling would have been excellent as my favorite Avenger. And since Steve Rogers and Clint Barton often looked fairly similar in the comics I think Gosling would have been a closer match to Chris Evans.

The only other road not taken that intrigues me is what it would have been like if Edward Norton had continued on as Bruce Banner. I've been listening to interviews with him lately and he mentioned that the plan was for him to do two standalone Hulk films. And that would have likely lead to the Avengers and all that came after. Norton was physically more of what I have come to see as Banner. Physically, mentally and overall personality. Mark Ruffalo has made the role his own but Norton continuing on would be very interesting to see.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2019 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

For me, the one huge missed opportunity with the MCU was Jon Favreau's first choice for Black Widow, Emily Blunt. I'd go with her

That would've been great, didn't know it was his first choice. I wonder why it didn't happen, if she rejected it I'd bet she's still kicking herself.

I like ScarJo in general and have nothing against her but she's not Black Widow. She's the only truly miscast of the main Avengers IMHO (I had my doubts about Chris Evans but he shut my mouth obviously).

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2019 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Talking about missed opportunities, back when Idris Elba was first announced as cast as Heimdall for the first Thor film, and everyone else was flipping out over the race-swapping of this fictional version of a mythical character, I just thought it seemed a waste to put an actor like him in what I assumed to be a relatively minor supporting role, and thought he should have been saved for an eventual Black Panther movie.

My next choice for that role was Chiwetel Ejiofor, and thus I was similarly disappointed when he was announced as cast in Doctor Strange. Chadwick Boseman, whom I hadnít seen in much and so had no real opinion on before ended up doing a fantastic job, but I still canít help but think that Ejiofor, in particular, would have been perfect for that role.

Edited by Jabari Lamar on 15 November 2019 at 11:24am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2019 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Jabari, I had the same thought when Chiwetel Ejiofor was cast as Baron Mordo. He would have been my pick for the Black Panther. This thread has got me thinking, but it's not easy! So many already ruled out, as Brian pointed out. Going to try and cast the X-Men. But the original X-Men, if that's OK, which is where I think they should have begun. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2019 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Emily Blunt as Black Widow would have been interesting, but I thnk she'd be a good choice for either Spitfire if they made an Invaders movie (or used them at all) or the non-Asian Betsy Braddock as either Psylocke or Captain Britain. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2019 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

For me, the one huge missed opportunity with the MCU was Jon Favreau's first choice for Black Widow, Emily Blunt. I'd go with her

That would've been great, didn't know it was his first choice. I wonder why it didn't happen, if she rejected it I'd bet she's still kicking herself.

----

It was a scheduling conflict as she was shooting that Jack Black GULLIVER'S TRAVELS movie.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2019 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was a scheduling conflict as she was shooting that Jack Black GULLIVER'S TRAVELS movie.

Ouch. Even more painful!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version