Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Finales Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Higgins / Robin Masters thing should never have happened. It contradicted everything we had seen in the show up until that point.

•••

I didn’t watch MAGNUM, but I picked up enough out of the ozone that when I heard about this it made no sense to me.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Higgins/Robin was still left ambiguous in the last episode. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Exactly, Brian.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Did you want it definitively answered?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Personally, I liked the way Higgins left it.
After he told Magnum, earlier in the episode, it quickly became anticlimactic in my own head. I had a grin on my face when he talked to him later.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Best: Babylon 5 and Six Feet Under

Both incredibly emotional. Can't even think about them without nearly welling up. Amazingly powerful finales to amazing shows.

Worst: Game of Thrones and Lost
GoT almost made me wish the whole series had not existed, a series I had LOVED for six seasons. Lost - I kept thinking that they surely had a plan to tie this all together. Nope.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Me too, Doug. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Best:

BARNEY MILLER.   The show got better year after year in it's run and ended while it was still on top in both ratings and writing quality.  The final episode didn't have to resort to cheap tricks like character deaths or hidden secret reveals.  A series firmly grounded in the mundane reality of actual police work and it left the airwaves in that same spirit.

BABYLON 5.  If you stop at the last televised episode you won't be disappointed.   Anything after that (movies, series) IMO is iffy.

STARGATE SG-1.  Like B5, if you stop watching at the Season 8 finale "Mobius pt 2" it's a perfect bookend with the original feature film.   After that, eh... meh.  S8 was supposed to be the proper finale.

Worst:

So many to choose from, but....

QUANTUM LEAP.   A finale so bad they even spelled the name of the main character wrong in the hastily-added text captions at the end of the episode.   Feh.

WEBSTER.  You'd think crossing over with STAR TREK:TNG would make a series finale more exciting.   Nope.

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE.   You'd think crossing over with STAR TREK:TNG would make a series finale more exciting.   Nope.   (Someone should have shown them the WEBSTER finale)

SPIDER-MAN:TAS.  I'm a bit mixed on this one.   The episode itself is excellent and quite poignant (includes Spider-man coming to our reality and meeting Stan Lee, with Stan's wife Joan also in the cast) but it led into a massive cliffhanger that never got resolved.   They could have even paid some lip service to the resolution in the subsequent series SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED but chose not to.   Last I heard, the original showrunner was crowdfunding to reunite the main cast and make a direct-to-video film to finish the story.

There are so many series that got cancelled after one or two seasons and had to quickly wrap up that It's probably unfair to judge the quality of their finales, but there are a couple in recent memory that stand out in my mind...

LIFE ON MARS (US).  A resolution so different from it's UK ancestor I'm not sure what to think.   In some ways superior and in other ways inferior to the original.   If you watch this show immediately after watching the UK version you'll understand what I mean.

COUNTERPART.  What started as a promising series and an electric performance by J. K. Simmons in two roles really petered out into a very downbeat ending.   Still hoping for a film to really finish this off.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
QUANTUM LEAP.   A finale so bad they even spelled the name of the main character wrong in the hastily-added text captions at the end of the episode. 

I still remember watching the finale and my sister bursting into tears at the last scene, the words on the screen. For her at least, it was definitely an emotional conclusion. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 November 2019 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

GoT almost made me wish the whole series had not existed, a series I had LOVED for six seasons. Lost - I kept thinking that they surely had a plan to tie this all together. Nope.

••

I watched neither series, but I could pick up just from what people said about them that there was no way either could end well.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2019 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm kinda at the point now where I don't start watching a new dramatic series until after it's completely wrapped up, to prevent the feeling of having my time wasted with a disappointing finale.

(BETTER CALL SAUL is grandfathered in, since I have faith in the showrunners, plus we already know how most of the main characters will end up in BREAKING BAD. I just realized that it's the only dramatic series that I follow in realtime now.)

I wish I had stopped watching DEXTER after season 4. But nope, I stayed with it until the incomprehensible end.

HOMELAND started to meander in season 3 so I dropped it. Now that it's in its final season, I'll wait until its resolution before deciding to pick it up again.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 November 2019 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

HOMELAND started to meander in season 3 so I dropped it. Now that it's in its final season, I'll wait until its resolution before deciding to pick it up again.

••

HOMELAND is still on??

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version