Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Finales Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Working on NEW VISIONS I’d received tentative permission to do a “crossover” with ENTERPRISE in which Kirk & Co. encounter a time-lost NX-01 and have no idea who they are. Archer and crew end up sacrificing themselves heroically, and in the process erasing themselves from the timeline.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB wrote: I haven’t watched BLAKE’S 7 (please, no earnest recommendations that I do so!), but I checked out the ending on YouTube, and of course it made absolutely no sense to me!
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------
You needed four years of build up for it to make sense.

Terry Nation at his best
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

MAGNUM , P.I. finale tried to wrap things up in a tidy bow.
But then there's Robin Masters' identity...

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I loved the real SCRUBS finale but then they did that ill-fated season after the fact.  But, as a finale to the actual show, I thought the one they did was pretty great.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brian H. - a quick note. I think Neelix was on Voyager, not Enterprise - or am I mistaken? (This past weekend, that's how the smart money bet.)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This thread is reminding me of how few shows had actual "finales" when I was growing up. Mostly because episodic series had no thru plotlines (except in the broadest sense) and individual episodes were often shown out of production order, shows tended to just........ stop.

An exception was THE FUGITIVE, which went off the air voluntarily, and so was able to plan a wrap-up for the story. (Even with that they kept us guessing to the end.)

But the starship Enterprise merely sailed away, the castaways were left on Gilligan's island, the Addamses and the Munsters lumbered off, nobody got to say goodbye.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think I might prefer not having self-conscious finales. If the last-episode nature is subtly suggested, an affectionate wink between creators and audience, that's nice. Nothing really more than that, though. I might like better the idea that the "show" goes on without me.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think back to the story of the cast and crew of BONANZA, who found out the show was canceled on their last day of shooting. After 20 years!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I stopped watching Friends regularly sometime around the 3rd or 4th season, but sort of kept tabs and have seen the ending of the final episode -- and thought they wrapped it up pretty well.

Hated the ending of Blake's 7 (and I have not watched it since the original broadcast, so this is based on a 38-year old memory formed when I didn't yet know about cursive handwriting).

Have still yet to get to the end of Lost. One day I'll get there. Somehow, impossibly, I have avoided any spoilers.

Game of Thrones was disappointing, a letdown, a betrayal of several characters,and succeeded in making the preceding years seem like a waste of time. Quite an achievement. Didn't want to make me tear my hair out, but a let down.

I did like the end of Star Trek: Next Generation. It entertained me thoroughly at the time, and dove-tailed rather neatly with the show's beginning, I thought.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric S., sure enough, I did mis-remember that. I think it speaks to the generic, cookie cutter nature of the spin-offs, however, that I can clearly picture him aboard Enterprise, interacting with its crew perfectly. It's only when I try to picture him and Phlox in the same scene together that a red flag is raised, since the upshot of Phlox is basically, "What If... Neelix were actually useful?"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 4:08am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

MAGNUM , P.I. finale tried to wrap things up in a tidy bow.

But then there's Robin Masters' identity...

=======================================================

The Higgins / Robin Masters thing should never have happened. It contradicted everything we had seen in the show up until that point.

That idea edged in there once Tom Selleck and Chris Abbott-Fish began running the show in Season 7.

I doubt if Donald Bellisario had still been fully in charge that would have happened as he was very good at not pulling those kind of stunts in his shows.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Game of Thrones was disappointing, a letdown, a betrayal of several characters,and succeeded in making the preceding years seem like a waste of time. Quite an achievement. Didn't want to make me tear my hair out, but a let down.

•••

I suppose this allows me to feel justified in not having watched the show!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version