Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Another Reason I’ll Never Work at Marvel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My issues with the Fantastic Four started with a run that I liked: The Waid/Weiringo issues. I didn't like how they handled Doctor Doom. Since then we've had:

1. Civil War- Reed was written out of character so badly for much of it.*
2. Changing costumes with each new re-boot.
3. Extra focus on Valeria and Franklin to the point that it should be the Fantastic Six.
4. Doctor/Daughter of Liberty/Secret Agent Susan Storm Richards. You don't have to throw all these new "secret/cool" elements to the character to make her more interesting. Just do a better job writing her.
5. The addition of so many supporting characters that basically makes the FF background characters in their own book.
6. The off-model versions of how the characters are drawn. Johnny's look when he's using his powers, Ben's size, and we even had a buff Reed for a while. 

The book seemed to have a period where Marvel, instead of protecting the franchise, wanted to let "superstars" come in and do their own version. I also get aggravated how they continually refer to Doctor Doom as "Victor" but that's more of a personal annoyance than something that I think is wrong with how Marvel handles them.

*Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and Charles Xavier are three characters whose flaws are more important to writers than their heroism. Tom Brevoort was supposedly the link to the "Classic Marvel" when I got back into comics but with his comments about creators like JB and Jim Starlin as well as his justifications for everything from changing costumes constantly to bad characterization, I feel he's more a problem than almost anyone.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If a kid was reading Fraction’s run (which I’m sure is unlikely), wouldn’t that be the only continuity for them? They wouldn’t go to read a 30 year old comic to get the best continuity.

••

The Golden Age of comics is, for most of us, when we started reading. This is what makes it so hard to choose a "definitive" version of any characters (other than the ones presented by the creators).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

10 year gap? That's minor. There's a 15 year gap between me and my wife. She's the older one. We also met for the first time when I was 32 (I'm 56 now). So I have NO issues with large age gaps between married couples, regardless of when they met.

••

I would not even be here, if my 64 year old great grandfather had not married my 28 year old great grandmother!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My paternal great grandfather was 50 when he married my g. grandmother at 19.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Golden Age of comics is, for most of us, when we started reading. This is what makes it so hard to choose a "definitive" version of any characters (other than the ones presented by the creators)

Yeah, but when I started, I was reading SPIDER-MAN by Gerry Conway and Ross Andru (with Peter being "haunted" by Gwen's "ghost"), but I was also reading MARVEL TALES by Stan Lee and John Romita (where Gwen was alive and crying a lot), AND there were plenty of Lee/Ditko reprints all over the place!  (With Liz Allen the big deal!)  Not to mention MARVEL TEAM-UP and (soon) SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN!  They were ALL definitive to me!  Of course, they were still recognizable as the same person.

Today, with JB well represented in the local Barnes & Noble at any given time, it's possible (or even likely) that his is STILL the version that many new readers will be exposed to for the first time--of WONDER WOMAN, SUPERMAN, FANTASTIC FOUR, SPIDER-MAN, and plenty of others.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Uhm.......

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Two of yours in there. Not sure which one they misunderstood more.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Articles that aim to prove the writer's wit, but just fail. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It should be noted that Big Bertha made it onto this list due to all the crap that was shoveled into the character after I let go of her.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2019 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Frat House of Ideas?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version