Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: JOJO RABBIT and Why it Sucks to be Me Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 November 2019 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'd been picking up some buzz on this one, and it sounded intriguing. Last night, I watched a "making of" documentary, and most of my misgivings were eased--but others were added.

The doc showed two of the gags in the movie. The first has the young hero talking to a girl he has found hiding in his mother's attic. He realizes what she is and why she is hiding. The exchange goes something like this:

SHE: What am I? Say it!

HE: A Jew.

SHE: Gesundheit.

Ha ha. Except, they'd be speaking German, wouldn't they? So he would have said something like (phonetically) "ein yuden", or just "yuden". Which sounds nothing like a sneeze.

Later, the Sam Rockwell character is raging at his men because he sent them out to get dogs, and they came back with... German shepherds. Men.

Ha ha. Except, German Shepherds are not called that in Germany. They're called, in German, "sheepdogs".

I now fear the whole movie will be peppered with stuff like this, and constantly pulling me out of the plot.

Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2019 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I saw JoJo Rabbit with a friend who's the son of a German immigrant and speaks German fluently; he assures me the movie is indeed peppered with that stuff.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Scott Adsit
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2019 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There's also a group of peppy, young, identical Nazi boys identified as the clones. The filmmakers knowingly took licenses for the sake of  jokes and whimsy. Including language.

Is Star Wars ruined when you hear the battles in space?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 November 2019 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

STAR WARS would be “ruined” for me if there were scenes that depended on there being sound in space.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 12:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I agree, had Star Wars have a scene where the sound in space was necessary, it would have lost me.

Oh, wait. The Force Awakens has a scene that depends on people in one star system watching a death ray cross the galaxy & blow planets in another star system up. They watch this, in real time, through the naked eye. In daylight.

That really does ruin that movie for me because a lot of the film depends on that scene & that particular weapon.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Along similar lines, I couldn’t get past the first episode of Neil Degrasse Tyson’s remake of COSMOS. Not only sound in space, but asteroids tumbling around in close proximity when they’re really about a million miles apart. This in a show proclaiming “scientific accuracy”.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version