Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 11/06/2019 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2019 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Another week.  Here's what awaits me at the LCS

• DOOM PATROL WEIGHT OF THE WORLDS #5 - For my son.
  • HARLEY QUINN #67 - Also for my son
  • LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #1 - I'm actually looking forward to this, even though I wished they revived the original (older) Legion.  There are questions, however, such as how Wildfire could have children.  Wouldn't that be the original Wildfire (assuming they've maintained the character - I seem to remember seeing a glimse of him in one of the promos). I hope they retain the Rose/Thorn character.     
  • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #33 - Generally, I've enjoyed the series, though I'm not hepped up on SM 2099, as I never got into the future universe series.
  • BLACK CAT #6 - A bit behind on this title.
I also have to pick up last week's offerings, as I never got down to the shop.

What are you getting?
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2019 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

For me it's just the new issue of BUFFY and Scott Snyder's new book UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2019 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

DC: Deathstroke #49; Doom Patrol (Weight of the Worlds) #5; Green Lantern Blackstars #1; Legion of Super Heroes #1; Young Justice #10.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2019 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Legion of Super Heroes #1- Hopefully this will be good...

Immortal Hulk #26- Last issue was pretty trippy.

New Mutants #1/X-Force #1- So I've decided to give the X-Men run another try. I've said that anything not done by Claremont or Byrne doesn't really work for me but I was willing to try Hickman. Powers of X and the Moira stuff turned me off but, not unlike Aaron's Thor and Immortal Hulk (both books that I was turned off by because they weren't MY Thor and MY Hulk), I still find it to be an intriguing book. I picked up X-Men #1 and am going to re-read House of X and Powers of X as well as pick up some of the books that interest me. New Mutants is written by Ed Brisson and I've liked his stuff and X-Force will have Colossus in it, who is my favorite character.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2019 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

INFERIOR FIVE #3
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2019 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

LOCKE & KEY DOG DAYS
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #1
NEW MUTANTS #1
X-FORCE #1

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2019 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

DC:
Green Lantern: Blackstars #1 (Of 3)
Inferior Five #3 (Of 12)
Lois Lane #5 (Of 12)

Marvel:
Fantastic Four #16

Dark Horse:
Berserker Unbound #4 (Of 4)
Grendel: Devil's Odyssey #2 (Of 8)

Image:
Pretty Deadly The Rat #3 (Of 5)
Undiscovered Country #1

Edited by Rod Collins on 06 November 2019 at 5:38pm

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2019 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

GREEN LANTERN: BLACKSTARS # 1 - Despite blowing hot and cold with Grant Morrison, I have enjoyed his work on GL.

IMMORTAL HULK # 26 - After the weirdness of the last issue, this one was more about setting up the next character / story arc. But it looks like the Hulk is taking the fight to Roxxon.

GRENDEL: DEVIL'S ODYSSEY # 2 - Matt Wagner on Grendel. That's all you need.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2019 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

IMMORTAL HULK is nothing if not daring. I kinda have trouble believing that Disney/Marvel allowed a comic expressing the kind of...sentiments that Banner expresses in the new issue get printed. I know Disney doesn't micromanage Marvel comics, but even so...

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

IMMORTAL HULK is pushing things. But, in the context, I can see what Banner is doing and why he feels he needs to.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

LCS books:

LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #1 - so reboot, not "next generation" or anything. I try to avoid terms like "complete shit" when talking about books, recognizing that everyone's trying their best and quality is subjective. In that spirit, this was very much Not To My Taste. It's hard to do the first issue of a Legion book since you want to get the scale of the group in there but at the same time having two dozen characters floating around doing nothing isn't a great look. (To be fair, Superboy's arrival is a reasonable reason to have the whole gang present, but then they all started following him around and it got silly.) The villain seemed reasonably dangerous, which was good, but the way the initial confrontation was handled annoyed me. Putting the Johns "super hero name/real name/powers" boxes where Superboy could see them but not where the readers could was... different. Maybe having the Bendis-isms flow like wine (Enough about the damn orientation presentation!) will help sell the Legion to the Bendis fans, but didn't sell Bendis to this Legion fan. For someone who likes to whine about expository dialogue he sure doesn't do great with the "show, don't tell". The art's decent enough, but the redesigns generally don't work for me. (Maybe the insect Doctor Fate looking guy, whatever his name is.) I wish they did, because if you're going to do a reboot I'm not opposed to the idea of having all of the various alien races actually look like various alien races. Ah well. I gave it a shot.

NEW MUTANTS #1 - I wasn't going to get this. While I have much love for the crew, I'd rather see them branch out (see Cannonball and Sunspot in the Avengers) than stick to hanging with their High School buds all the time. But I was at an LCS to get Legion #1 and whim overtook me. Magma out and Mondo and Chamber in feels a little off to me, particular given the "let's go see our buddy Sam" nature of the first story, but whatever. Not much meat to it and I can't say I'll be back for #2, but it was pleasant. I do think Corsair's actions here may lead to an awkward conversation at the next Summers family dinner, though.

Coming later via mail order:

DEAD EYES #2 - My mail order place had #2 in the mail to be before the recall notice hit so litle new here for me. Hoping they break the #2 barrier this time.

DIE #9 - another "character focus" issue I assume

GRENDEL DEVILS ODYSSEY #2 - refer to Greg McPhee's comment

RUBY FALLS #2 - #1 was nice

DEATHSTROKE #49 - fair bit of ground to cover in these last two.

GREEN LANTERN BLACKSTARS #1 - friggin' marketing... I'm assuming when this wraps we'll get "The Green Lantern Season Two #1" so I'll shortly be digging out #1-12 to see if I'll be using the offramp they conveniently provided me. It's been decent, but I don't know yet if I consider it to be "overcome annoyance with lame marketing stunts" decent.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #33 - man, it sure is easy to fall behind on this book... Not particularly interested in the 2099 story but I didn't bother with the Absolute Carnage event and still really liked the tie-in issue, so here's hoping.

DAREDEVIL #13 - not that I haven't been enjoying myself, but I really would like Matt back in the red suit some time during this run.

FIVE YEARS #5 - still going (I suspect I'll be using that one a lot with this book; Moore's great with Moments but Eh on plot and unless this is going to be his Everybody DIES!!!! book, plot's going to be key to this thing.

GOING TO THE CHAPEL #3 - one was nice, two was better, so here's hoping.

PRINCE VALIANT HC VOL 20 - won't be getting it this week (probably ask for it for Christmas), but one way or another I'll get it eventually, so might as well mention it.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A lot bigger week for me than I was expecting...

DIE #9 - Getting a bit behind on my reading for this title. But what I did read of the first 5 or 6 issues seems like it would read better if bought in TPB form. That said, I've liked most of Gillen's stuff that I've read so far, especially UBER. 

UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #1 - Haven't read this yet and was a late pickup today when I went in to get a couple of long boxes. While I"m generally not a fan of anything Snyder has written superhero wise, I did enjoy THE WAKE, although that benefited from Sean Gordon Murphy art. The premise of this grabbed me though. 

BATMAN #82 - Why can't I quit you? I've dropped and picked this title back up at least five times, but I'm definitely jumping back off at the end of the Tom King run. It was the Thomas Wayne stuff that sucked me back in. 

DOOM PATROL WEIGHT OF THE WORLDS #5 - Only read the first issue so far and need to catch up on this. 

GREEN LANTERN BLACKSTARS #1 (OF 3) - Haven't read this yet. I'm generally a fan of Grant Morrion's but have not been particularly enamored of his GREEN LANTERN run so far, but the issues which I have enjoyed I've enjoyed a lot. 

INFERIOR FIVE #3 (OF 12) - Managed to grab the first two issues a few weeks back, but have only read the first so far. It's really good to see Keith Giffen's art again and I've liked almost everything I've ever read by Jeff Lemire. Really enjoyed the first issue and I believe I will enjoy the second and this one as well. 

LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #1 - Did not enjoy the two issue MILLENNIUM build up for this but this had Ryan Sook art. After reading it, I can say that's the only thing it had. Doubt I will be back for issue 2. 

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #33 2099 - I've really enjoyed Nick Spencer's Spider-Man run so far but will definitely be glad when we get away from the event tie-ins like this 2099 one and the Maximum Carnage before it. 

IMMORTAL HULK #26 - Haven't read this one yet and love this comic but what in the Sam Hell happened last issue? 

NEW MUTANTS #1 - Great cover. Was really looking forward to this comic and seeing this team back together but the first issue was not great. I've heard the X-FORCE one I passed out on that came out the same week was great, but I've always been more of NEW MUTANTS fan than an X-FORCE one. It was going to be just this title and the Uncanny X-Men one that I'd planned on reading from this big relaunch but I might just be getting Uncanny unless this gets better. 

As if all these monthlies weren't enough I splurged and picked up 3 different MARVEL EPIC COLLECTIONS from instocktrades: AVENGERS WEST COAST: LOST IN SPACE-TIME and 2 Captain America ones from the Mark Gruenwald run: THE SUPRERIA STRATAGEM and STREETS OF POISON (already have the earlier EPIC COLLECTIONS covering some of the better issues from his run). And also grabbed the FURY OF IRON FIST EPIC COLLECTION which collects all the issues of our host and Claremont's 15 issues and all of the Marvel Premiere's with Iron Fist that came before them and also a couple of issues of Marvel Team-Up by Claremont and Byrne that carry on the story. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 11 November 2019 at 5:46pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version