Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Video games based on super heroes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What are the best and the worst video games based on super heroes?

It's clear that one of the worst ones was Superman 64. Among the best, we could perhaps name the recent Spiderman game and the 2D platforming Batman games created in 1989 based in the movie. The X-Men fighting games are also great.

It's interesting how Superman games are usually bad. It's clear that it's a difficult concept to adapt to a video game. The character is so powerful that genres like platforming, graphic adventure or stealth are automatically discarded, leaving developers with the only option to create an action game where Superman needs to fight decent enemies, but how can you make those mechanics fun?

Also, there are many characters that desperately need video games adaptations: the Legion of Super Heroes... so yeah, let's talk about video games based on super heroes.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My favorites:

PS4 Spider-Man
Arkham Asylum/City/Knight
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
X-Men Arcade game
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game
NES Batman: The Movie

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The X-Men arcade game from the early 90s was an absolute
sensation.

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for
Nintendo occupied a lot of my time in the late 80s.

Captain America and the Avengers for the Super Nintendo
also comes to mind.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've long thought the advent of video games cost us much of our younger audience. After all, why would kids want to sit passively to be told stories (reading!!), when they can actually be IN the stories?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I remember having a tough time with Sega Genesis' Hulk and Spider-Man games.
Sega also had an Ex-Mutants game I got into for a while.

Talking of gaming, I dumped a ton of quarters into a Hulk pinball machine back in the late '70's early '80's.

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've been playing video games since 1989 and I love and hate many 2D and 3D games.

I believe 3D is overused today. 3D works best for racing games, flying sims, platform games where you can slide such as Spyro... But most action and platform games work better in 2D.

If you were the lead designer of a programming team, which super hero game would you want them to make? What would be the characters appearing on it and what would be the genre?

I guess a potential Legion game would be a fighting game similar to the X-Men ones... or wouldn't it? Perhaps you could create a very diverse experience by separating the members: Characters like Brainiac 5 could be in graphic adventure segments, Karate Kid and Timber Wolf for 2D action/platforming sections and you could create some interesting game based on the peculiarities of Ultra Man powers (he only can use one super power at a time)... of course, Mon-El would be unavailable for the whole game as he is too powerful... or not! Perhaps he could be in another planet fighting against a super powerful being.

Hell, I should have been a game designer.

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

By the way, JB... can you confirm that you don't like playing video games?

If that is the case and you somehow want to give the medium a try after all this time, I suggest you to try some classic graphic adventures such as The Secret of Monkey Island or the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade games from Lucasfilm Games.

Those games are very easy to play and have great puzzles. They are not as stressful as most modern ones, they are cheap and they don't try to be movies.

I believe modern games fail in two important aspects: 1) They try to be movies and 2) They use the player's addiction to fake achievement to artificially increase the length of the game. This is why I mostly play old games.

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 02 November 2019 at 10:26am

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

*Spider-man Shattered Dimensions (Xbox 360/PS4/Wii)
-One of the better Xbox 360/PS3 era Spider-man games with a stellar voice cast consisting of actors who had played Spider-man in previous animated versions.   It's main story is written by Dan Slott and this game was the inspiration for both the comics Spider-verse crossover and the INTO THE SPIDERVERSE animated film.

*Spider-man (Atari 2600)
-The original Spider-man video game and IMO one of the best comic book video games because of it's straightforward simplicity and fun game mechanics.   Unfortunately, it's one of those games where you can't play indefinitely because the difficulty ramps up to impossible levels where you eventually have to lose.

*Spider-man 1990 (C64, Amiga, Atari ST)
-This relatively unknown game from the 16-bit era is the thinking man's Spider-man game.   Basically a puzzler-platformer across multiple screens where you make good use of Spider-man's web and wall-crawling ability to hit switches and get around traps.   You have only one life but can take multiple hits of damage, which is shown as a full figure of Spider-man on the right side of the screen that gradually becomes a skeleton -- kind of creepy and disturbing in an odd way when you end up what looks like a pantless skeleton wearing the top half of a spider-man costume!

*X-Men (Arcade)
-One of the best 'quarter eater' comic book arcade games.   I had the priviledge to play this back in the day in it's large format cabinet (that stretches across two projection screens) with five other people.  Not particularly deep but a blast to play with friends for some mindless mayhem.   Using a character's unique mutant power shortens their life which is a bit of a bad cheat to get you to pump more quarters in.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

By the way, JB... can you confirm that you don't like playing video games?

That is correct. The last game I played was E.T. on my old Atari. That cured me!!

And, please, no suggestions about what I should try now.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Wolverine: Adamantium Rage (Sega Genesis):

X-Men (Arcade):

Captain America and The Avengers (Arcade):

(I *think* this is JB, but can't confirm):

Spider-Man (Arcade):

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Great message, Vinny! I didn't even know that those game existed except for the X-Men arcade.

Wolverine: Adamantium Rage (Sega Genesis) looks great and the music is absolutely amazing.

Captain America and The Avengers (Arcade) looks pretty decent and fun.

And Spider-Man (Arcade) also looks great, the cooperative platform sections are quite original.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I owned the Wolverine game. SOOOOO frustrating to play, I'm sure I threw the controller at the wall at least once.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version