Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: That Perfect Moment... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There are a lot of great moments, and even entire movies, that are terrific. But what about the perfect ones? That comment, that scene, that actor - whatever it is that you looked at and said, "Oh my God, they GET Howard the Duck!"

Give me some of such moments that just hit you as exactly right. For mine...
Volstagg in "Thor" is what I wanted him to be in the comics all along. I think the character is the right size, the right look, and just awfully good.

In "Superman: The Movie", there is the moment delivered by Chris Reeve that just hit it. It's in Lois' apartment, right after "Can You Red My Mind?" Lois is changing and Clark is in the hall... and he changes to Superman by just taking off his glasses. And his stature, his attitude, his posture - all that and he never even has to loosen his tie. "Lois, there's something I have to tell you. I'm really..." It's in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNUu6Lf9mVU

I don't believe in guilty pleasures any more (I'm too old) but in Avengers Endgame is the defining Cap moment I waited for since the first Avengers movie. "Avengers Assemble!"

Everyone is kinda down on The Fantastic Four, but I loved Michael Chiklis as the Thing. He had it dead to rights, in my book.

How about yours? The perfect performance, perfect dialogue, perfect instant.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The FF movies got only two things right, and they were both Johnny moments.

Forced by the requirements of the thread, I’ll choose the one where Johnny and Sue are on the roof, with missiles approaching. He starts to move, and she says “Don’t even think about it!”

He dives over the edge saying “I never do!”

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

NO REQUIREMENTS! No, no, you put in the ones you want, Mr. Byrne! And everybody!

I mean, let's not push it to twenty or thirty moments... but you can by all means list a few.

Mr. Byrne, were there any actors who got it just right in your opinion? I gather you're quite fond of Christopher Reeve in Superman the Movie - anyone else?

(And that moment IS great.)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The second moment is in the second movie. Early on, Ben chides Johnny for his egotistical attitude. “Let’s not make this all about you!”

Later, Johnny is about to face the super-powered Doom alone. “You’ll be killed!” says Ben.

“Let’s not make this all about me,” says Johnny.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I am very critical of the Raimi Spider-Man films and Tobey Maguire as Peter, but I still think the JJJ/Green Goblin scene is perfect. The Green Goblin attacks Jameson at the Daily Bugle, trying to get him to reveal the identity of Spider-Man’s photographer, and Jonah refuses to give Peter up.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I agree with Michael. That was the one moment in that movie when I felt I was watching a Spider-Man comic come to life.

Well, OK. Anytime J.K. Simmons was being a perfect J. Jonah Jameson also made me feel that way. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Is this thread about movies of any variety or focussed solely on comic adaptations?

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

SUPERMAN III, when he freezes the surface of a lake to put out a fire. I know it's impossible, but it's pretty much all I want from superheroes: smart use of their powers. Punching really hard doesn't impress me.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2019 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I am very critical of the Raimi Spider-Man films and Tobey Maguire as Peter, but I still think the JJJ/Green Goblin scene is perfect. The Green Goblin attacks Jameson at the Daily Bugle, trying to get him to reveal the identity of Spider-Man’s photographer, and Jonah refuses to give Peter up.

That was perfect, a Spider-Man comic coming to life indeed. Simmons' performance is so great he even seems to bring out the real, quippy Spider-Man in every interaction he has with him.

Another one for me was in THE DARK KNIGHT when Batman, Gordon and Harvey Dent meet at the GCPD rooftop with the Bat Signal turned on and discuss their plan with the camera circling around them, I was like "This! This is what Batman is all about!"

Scott Adsit
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2019 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

When Cap gives a boyish reaction to Coulson's "It's an honor to meet you." on the plane in Avengers. A surprised, ego-free smile. It says "Truely?", "Thanks", "Weird to hear", "I'm honored" and "Gosh". Perfect for Steve.

And Evans again when Cap meets Scott Lange. "Thinks for thanking of me!".  Cap both smirks and accepts without any judgement at the same time. "No problem", "That was funny", "That is strange", "I'm no better than you", "But, I appreciate your excitement", "You're not what I expected" and "Gosh".

Cap's humility is a huge part of who he is. Other actors may not have found those particular notes.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2019 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Avengers Endgame.

Thor and Star-Lord on the Milano about to leave Earth after defeating Thanos.  Thor is trying to convince Star-Lord he isn’t here to take over leadership of the Guardians.

The look on Thor’s face at the end of that scene.....I fall out laughing every single time without fail!  It is simply PERFECT.  Thor knows damn well who the leader of the Guardians is...he’s just too kind to tell Quill.

Chris Hemsworth is a fantastic comedic actor.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 October 2019 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Mr. Byrne, were there any actors who got it just right in your opinion? I gather you're quite fond of Christopher Reeve in Superman the Movie - anyone else?

••

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark. And I thought Halle Berry was at least physically well cast as Storm* (tho what was up with that hair??).

-----------------

* At one point I had "suggested" RuPaul.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version