Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: That Perfect Moment... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

@Mr. Byrne - I think so. Bucky being an adult in this movie made sense and his friendship with Steve served the story very well. Especially since Bucky becomes Winter Soldier down the line.

•••

Movie craps all over Stan and Jack, but that’s okay because it allows even more crapping later.

You’re breaking my heart, man!

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thanks for the response, David. I do not care for the movie (to put it lightly) really except for the transformation-chase scene. If that were it, I'd love it! Beyond that, though... yikes! 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE FIRST AVENGER is kind of a heartbreaker for me... there are so many things it gets right... yet so many others it gets lunkheadedly wrong...

Chris Evans is fantastic.  But he belongs in the perfect Captain America origin movie that has yet to be made.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There was a long trailer for the first Cap movie that left out all the crap. At the time I called it the best Captain America movie ever.

(Yes, a low bar, I know!)

YouTube

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The ending of First Avenger, when Cap goes down and he's never going to be with Peggy. Even though I knew it was coming, it was great.
(I don't like adult Bucky or the Winter Soldier character-- but I guess he's popular so the movie writers were stuck with him.)

My non-super hero moment has to be "Hey, Dad. How about a catch?"

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Captain America: The First Avenger. One of the training camp scenes. Tommy Lee Jones says, "You don't win wars with niceness, Doctor. You win wars with guts," and lobs what seems like a live grenade into the middle of the star-jumping recruits. "GRENADE!!" he bellows, and the recruits scarper left and right... Except tiny, asthmatic Steve Rogers, who leaps on the grenade and curls his body tight around it. "Get away!" he yells. "Get back!"

(the transformation scene is pretty amazing as well)

Two moments from Batman Begins. One is Bruce Wayne turning up at a swanky hotel in a Lamborghini with two young ladyfriends in tow. The chattering classes discuss Batman. Bruce does his shallow playboy routine, throwing out a facile soundbite when asked about Batman, but absorbing what the others have to say. The hotel manager leans in, informing Bruce that "the pool is for decoration and your friends do not have swimwear." 

"They're European," Bruce responds. When asked to leave, Bruce says he is buying the hotel and setting new rules about the pool area. I thought it perfectly captured the fun of the millionaire (later billionaire) playboy disguise of the character. Not perfect in how these kind of transactions actually go through though...

The other scene from this film is at the end, with a world-weary Jim Gordon discussing the state of Gotham with his strange, new ally. "We still haven't picked up Crane or half the inmates of Arkham that he freed," says Gordon.

"We will," says Batman. It's a guarantee. "We can bring Gotham back."

That whole scene is perfect -- the talk of escalation, the Joker card ("I'll look into it.") and then the coda:

Gordon: I never said thank you.

Batman: And you'll never have to.

(Leaps from the roof into the Gotham night. Credits roll.)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm cheating, but its my topic, so thbbt. :)

Anyone remember the picture "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"? There is one perfect moment that occurs a couple of times.

There is a transition from Mr. Hyde to Dr. Jekyll, and vice versa, and I think it is a perfect momen... for a Hulk movie. As I recall, Ang Lee's Hulk came out at the same time, and that transition was TERRIBLE.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

... "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"...

••

I read that as "A League of their own" and was instantly confused!!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Captain America: The First Avenger. One of the training camp scenes. Tommy Lee Jones says, "You don't win wars with niceness, Doctor. You win wars with guts," and lobs what seems like a live grenade into the middle of the star-jumping recruits. "GRENADE!!" he bellows, and the recruits scarper left and right... Except tiny, asthmatic Steve Rogers, who leaps on the grenade and curls his body tight around it. "Get away!" he yells. "Get back!"

Yep. That's my pick. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Mr. Byrne - well, Madonna as a pseudo vampire was pretty good... :)

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ditto.

That movie got way....way more right than it got wrong.  And to be sure...it got some stuff wrong.  But what was right was...WOW!

Had Steve Rogers kept on the USO outfit (after being taunted by the troops) as he set off to rescue Bucky and his platoon....and went into the rest of the movie wearing it.....man, oh man.

If wishes wuz fishes...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Or perhaps a version of the “USO outfit” that was not designed to mock the original?

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version