Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Watchmen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2019 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Search seemed to not be working, so apologies if there is already a topic.

So, first episode down. I liked it. Nods to the comic, really good music & good acting.
Interested in seeing where this goes
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Very interesting show, but I really don't have the faintest idea what the point of it is. That's not meant snarky - its just I could not summarise the show in one line eg. "Costumed superheroes are being murdered as part of some grand conspiracy"

The other thing that struck me was - is this a continuation of the comicbook or the movie?
There are squid falling from the skies and mention of interdimensional attacks on the news - which is more akin to the comic.

I shall keep watching though, it has me intrigued.
Back to Top profile | search

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The point of it is to explore that world 30+ years down the road from where the comic left off.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I found pretty much everything I liked about the original comics missing here.  Will not proceed further.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was listening to the BBC Radio 5 review yesterday and one of the reviewers has a problem with the behind the scenes politics and says that they think Alan Moore should be respected.

I texted in that maybe if he had respected the wishes of Great Ormond Street Hospital and not published a series of comics involving the children from Peter Pan in sexually explicit stories, he might have had a leg to stand on.

As it is, no. Just, no.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Alan Moore must be spinning in one of the freshly dug
graves he sleeps in every night. On the bright side, the
further this strays from the source material, the better
chance we have of seeing something original!

I actually liked it a lot - Regina King is a commanding
presence.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just watched it, it was well made and interesting, a few
nods to the comic. It will be interesting to see where
it goes.
Not heard of any earthquakes or unexplained phenomena
originating from the Northampton area in the last 24
hours!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2019 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I haven't watched it (yet) but I gather that the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. I'm glad that it's not yet another attempt to depict the original story outside of comics, which was a mistake in 2009 and would be a mistake now. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2019 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm not going to bring up the usual Alan Moore related controversial points, that horse is beaten to death. It is what it is, and we all probably have an established opinion about it and that's not going to change.

On the show, I was kinda puzzled. It seems Lindelof had an idea about an alternate history of the US show where he wants to explore race relations and social issues (it might be a good idea, even) and he named it after "WATCHMEN" for some crazy, unknown reason.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 23 October 2019 at 8:44am

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2019 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"On the show, I was kinda puzzled. It seems Lindelof had an idea about an alternate history of the US show where he wants to explore race relations and social issues (it might be a good idea, even) and he named it after "WATCHMEN" for some crazy, unknown reason."

The comics had some racial stuff going on with the Topknot gang, so it's not out of place for this show.  As for the show being called Watchmen, you do know that Jeremy Irons is playing Ozymandias?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2019 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There are a lot of Watchmen nods in that episode. 

The inter-dimensional attacks are still an issue, Rorschach has inspired right wing gangs (even Moore said he wasn’t supposed to be liked), there is certain tech from the comics etc

It very much is related to Watchmen

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2019 at 11:43pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The comics had some racial stuff going on with the Topknot gang, so it's not out of place for this show.  As for the show being called Watchmen, you do know that Jeremy Irons is playing Ozymandias?

I do know that, I consider myself a pretty informed person in the pop culture realm. I read WATCHMEN for the first time when I was 11 years old, and I'd bet I've read it 30 additional times since,

I've also read a lot about how this show came to be and seen multiple interviews with Lindelof explaining his concept for it. I've also read his "heart felt" apology to Alan Moore for bastardizing his material.

Having said that, and if my credentials are up to your standards, I stand by my opinion that Lindelof's idea and concept are fundamentally foreign to what WATCHMEN is actually about and I still think he's shoehorning his own ideas (good for him!) into the "WATCHMEN" universe for some crazy reason I still don't get.

On the subject of Ozymandias, played in the show as you have cleverly pointed out by actor Jeremy Irons, the character we've seen so far in the show seems more than a little bit off. 

Anyone who's read WATCHMEN knows the character is a bit of an orientalist in his philosophies and aesthetics (Egyptian pharaohs, the Asia conquering Alexander the Great, multiple references to buddhism, zen practices, left wing political inclinations, long etc.) so to see him living in a victorian english mansion with traditional butlers dressed as a lord in hunting season is a bit, as I've said about the show's pilot in general, "puzzling" indeed.

So in short, I've noticed that the show uses some characters from the original comic (I've also seen there are some Rorschach masks around!) but I still don't get why this racial relations allegory set in Tulsa, Oklahoma needed to be called WATCHMEN, let alone pretend it's some sort of sequel to it. Maybe we'll get to know in future episodes!

But I'm obviously glad you liked it, and found it to be "not out of place"! In this forum, where fidelity to the comic book source material is always a big deal, it's definitely a breath of fresh air.

:)

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version