Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Watchmen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2019 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yes JB, it's a sequel to the comic. The costumes are bright and pretty comic accurate and there continue to be references to  the squid, which was not in the film.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2019 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Re: That Superman/Dr Manhattan panel

I'm no prude, but any panel depicting both Superman and a full-frontal penis in a mainstream comic is all sorts of wrong.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 November 2019 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Powers That Were at DC were SO thrilled with Dr Manhattanís wienie. It was almost as if it being there justified the whole book for them. SO much gorgeous, gorgeous artwork, and they fixated on a little U shaped line!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yíknow, I realize I will catch a lot of flak for this, but I remain convinced WATCHMEN is one of the greatest con jobs of the 20th Century. Itís the comicbook equivalent of the Emperorís new clothes.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yíknow, I realize I will catch a lot of flak for this, but I remain convinced WATCHMEN is one of the greatest con jobs of the 20th Century. Itís the comicbook equivalent of the Emperorís new clothes.

You won't catch any flak from me. I tried reading Watchmen and I just couldn't get into it and never finished reading it, but I've read all of the spoilers for the. I hated that most of the characters were unlikable psychos. I did watch the movie (but parts of it at a time) when it came on cable and I thought that it was OK, but I still hated the fact that the whole comic was a pretentious "grim n' gritty" naval gazing deconstruction of the superhero story. Ironically, I'm liking (so far) the TV series more than the comic or the movie, but that's not saying much and I'm mainly watching out of morbid curiosity. I would enjoy it more if it wasn't tied to Watchmen at all and was it's own original idea minus the "grim n' gritty" naval gazing deconstruction crap.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Iíve read it a few times. Iíve never thought it was the Greatest Comic Book Ever Produced like the majority of fandom. Of course, thatís when Iím usually told I just didnít understand it. 

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2019 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've gotten a lot of flak over the years for criticizing Watchmen. Some circles of comic fandom treat it like it's the greatest thing ever written and when I disagree with them, they act like I just swore loudly in church or something.

Watchmen had some interesting moments and a couple of great sequences but overall it's highly over rated and to be perfectly honest, it's somewhat boring to read. If it's that great, why is it such a chore to read? It's not like I'm a stranger to reading long dry books or that I can't appreciate things moving at a slow burn, so it's not a problem on my end. 

That being said, the movie is an improvement on the comic in a slight way in that at least it's more kinetic and visually dynamic (and it has a great score) but it's still fairly slow.

The new show is an expansion on that world and is unfolding in an interesting way. Yes, the pace is a bit slow but considering that the comic was the same way, that's to be expected. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2019 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If it's that great, why is it such a chore to read?

That's okay, you like what you like. I've read it 30+ times, plus annotated editions and the such so I obviously don't find it a chore. 

The thing with WATCHMEN, it's supposed to be different. It was never intended to become the norm. And it hasn't really, only its most superficial aspects were poorly aped and misunderstood and that produced an awful lot of terrible, joyless comics. Even Alan Moore himself says something along these lines.

I happen to think it's brilliant but I also accept it's a one trick pony. And that's why these adaptations, sequels and prequels are so pointless, there's nowhere to go from there.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version