Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Watchmen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2019 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm with Rodrigo.  I enjoyed the show for what it was but felt like the Watchmen references were very tacked on.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 4:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Is it just me or does this come off as a hodge-podge of elements from the various media interpretations of WATCHMEN?   

It's like it's meant to be a sequel to the comics but the creators knew the majority of their audience would only be familiar with the film version(s) so we have a hybrid of both.

The thought has occurred to me that this may be a crucial point in the TV series:  The screwed-up world we are seeing 30 years on from the endings of both the comics and the film are due to an intermixing of the interdimensional squids (comics) and Dr Manhattan being so omnipotently powerful (movie).   I've noticed that Dr M. is going to appear in later episodes and while I haven't paid too much attention to the recent WATCHMEN comics but I believe they have now incoporated Dr M. into the greater DC Multiverse in some way.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 25 October 2019 at 4:12am

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I refuse to watch this. Not only this story doesn't need continuations, but apparently in this case characters have been turned into black or white, removing the moral complexity of the original comic.

An intelligent take on superheros, power... turned into a cop thriller with good ones vs. nazis. No, thanks.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This one is ... bewildering. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It wasn't what I expected; but then again, a lot of shows aren't.

It caught my attention enough for me to give a few episodes to see if it starts resolving into something nifty.

I mean, what series COULD you judge from just its first episode? Star Trek? Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? Knight Rider? It may simply be the fact that today, we change our minds and watch it so very easily.

I saw enough for me to check it out again. YMMV, of course.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

HBO's WATCHMEN isn't really about the characters or stories in the original comics. It's a cop show through the lens of the comics. Incidentally Moore did a superhero cop drama comic, Top 10, for Wildstorm a while back. HBO should have just adapted that instead. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I donít see how someone could watch the first two episodes and think that the cops are unambiguous good guys or thereís no moral ambiguity.  This is a city in which, to respond to the alt right, the authorities have become fascist.  

Itís also not a sequel or continuation of Watchmen, really.  Itís another story set in that world.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2019 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Watching out of morbid curiosity I have to say this is one of the strangest pop culture products, like, ever.

WATCHMEN the comic book is very dear to me but I'm almost immune now to being outraged by any of these side products after the Snyder movie, BEFORE WATCHMEN, DOOMSDAY CLOCK, etc. The original is still there, it's still perfect and will be forever relevant.

But this thing... why?? It's so bad and pretentious at the same time that it's actually hilarious.

Not only It has almost nothing in common with WATCHMEN plot-wise or thematically but it commits the cardinal sin of being incredibly boring and so patronizing it makes my eyeballs disappear into my sockets. It has absolutely no reason to exist.

With Snyder, you knew most of WATCHMEN went straight over his head and that was ok. He could never reach something beyond "If superheroes existed in the real world that would be kinda scary, huh?"

Not with Lindelof, tho. This guy thinks he's smart, he "worships" the original, he thinks of 2019 parallelisms, he'll tell you all about it. 

He wants to talk about race, and cops, and alt-right conspiracies. Who would be the president in a liberal dystopia? How about Robert Redford? I bet in this world they would call reparations "Redfordations"! Tee-hee! How could we name the white trash neighborhoods? Got it, "Nixonvilles"! Hey, in this world, Rorschach's journal would be kinda like Qanon, huh? You can almost hear the writer's room collective giggle.

It's just so monumentally stupid. And it's obviously getting great reviews. As if the very concept of masked vigilante justice possibly leading to fascism had just been introduced into the world! And hey, why stop there? Let's make the connection Moore already subtly made 34 years ago about this kind of behavior being shared by the likes of the Ku Klux Klan REALLY OVERT so no one can miss it! Guaranteed headlines!

The first episode confused me but now I think I'm getting the vibe and just laugh at how ridiculous it all is (didn't even get to the "Veidt" part!) so I guess I'll continue to hate-watch it.

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 12:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Rodrigo. I will definitely not watch the show now. I was 90% sure, now I'm 100%.

Please, keep watching it and posting your impressions here. Your comments explaining why the show doesn't work are much more interesting that the product itself.

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 29 October 2019 at 12:50am

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't like it very much either. Its real, unintentional, theme is appropriation. The visual references to the comic barely rise to pastiche, and the story continuation is half-assed and poorly thought out, while the racial content strikes me as opportunistic coming from Caucasian writers and directors. (People of color seem to be responding to it, so maybe I'm wrong about that.)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 3:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This show continues to get more interesting with the second episode. The world building going on has caught my interest and I'm curious to see how it's all going to tie together. The overt connections with the Watchmen story we're all familiar with are minor thus far, but that should change with Laurie popping up very soon, and the "Adrien is clearly crazy" material is a nice followup to the suggestion in the original comics (and more clearly in the film) that he's been a bit off his rocker for a while now. 

Despite the usual snark coming from the naysayers in these parts, I'm still enjoying the show and I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the season play out.

Edited by Christopher Frost on 29 October 2019 at 3:59am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Iím enjoying it. There are all sorts of notes & tones to the original while still managing to not be a retread. I like the world building & wonder just how much of the negative comes from people that think the original shouldnít be touched. 

Which is, of course, nonsense. 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version